Brake lights don't work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights don't work!

Alright here's my dilemma..my brake lights won't work..my regular lights and turn signals work, and I replaced the brake light switch and have power to both of the prongs on it...I'm guessing that the wire is bad somewhere to back..but I'm never sure..any help is appreciated!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
I would check the steering column harness. The bottom of the column has a large connector that the brake lights run through. It may be loose or melted. If nothing else it's a good place to start your investigation with your meter. Check out your FSM for other body harness connectors, I think there's one more between the column and the bulbs. Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
I had the left brake light not working and both turn signals working. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. Check the harness and connections but if you don't find anything take a close look at the switch.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks fellas ill do that tomorrow..im tired of working in the dark....
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Also the wire goes to the drivers side kickpanel where it connects to the body wiring going to the back. Another place to check for voltage.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Mopar Fan

Alright so I have voltage at the steering column harness..but none at the kick panel harness.....I have no clue where to go from here..any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Mopar Fan

Would it be possible to run a wire from the steering column harness into the kick panel harness and bypass the stock wire?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 70fury383
Would it be possible to run a wire from the steering column harness into the kick panel harness and bypass the stock wire?
Can you, yes. Should you, no.

I'm not a fan of overlays unless absolutely necessary.

Always try and find the area the wire is messed up and correct it accordingly.

Also, have you checked the bulbs? If it's a dual filament bulb, that could be your issue. The chances of both blowing at the same time, not likely.

But you never stated you checked them, and you never stated if they both went out at the same time.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
!! NO !!

Here's how all turn signals work on these cars, exempting imports and some new US vehicles with SEPARATE stop and turn lamps

Power goes to the brake light switch from a "hot" fuse, IE key does not have to be in either run or accessory

When the brake switch is activated, it sends power up to the column, the turn signal switch

The turn signal switch ROUTES the brake switch power

If signals are OFF, (centered) BOTH rear turn lamps receive brake lamp power

If signal is to one side, whichever turn signal lamp is selected is PREVENTED getting brake switch power so that the turn signal can flash

If you are getting power from the brake switch up to the column AND both turn signals work properly (flash)

THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH is bad

"Back in the day" (when I was young and stupid) and long before Al Gore invented the www, or we "kids" figggguuured these cars would be worth somethin', I devised a "workaround" for some switches

I discovered that on the newer cars, which have the 4X switch incorporated into the column switch, that I could break off the 4x button (to prevent it from being activated) and move one wire, or jumper one wire, (My senile mind forgets) and "fix" the turn signal switch.

So you ended up with no working 4x flashers, but at least the signals and brake lights work. DO NOT ask me how I did this. This was FORTY years ago!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Mopar Fan

Blue - all rear lights work, turn signals and flashers work too so it can't be the bulb

440 - im gonna take a wild guess and say the turn signal switch is in the steering column?..how difficult is that to replace?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
!! NO !!

Here's how all turn signals work on these cars, exempting imports and some new US vehicles with SEPARATE stop and turn lamps

Power goes to the brake light switch from a "hot" fuse, IE key does not have to be in either run or accessory

When the brake switch is activated, it sends power up to the column, the turn signal switch

The turn signal switch ROUTES the brake switch power

If signals are OFF, (centered) BOTH rear turn lamps receive brake lamp power

If signal is to one side, whichever turn signal lamp is selected is PREVENTED getting brake switch power so that the turn signal can flash

If you are getting power from the brake switch up to the column AND both turn signals work properly (flash)

THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH is bad

"Back in the day" (when I was young and stupid) and long before Al Gore invented the www, or we "kids" figggguuured these cars would be worth somethin', I devised a "workaround" for some switches

I discovered that on the newer cars, which have the 4X switch incorporated into the column switch, that I could break off the 4x button (to prevent it from being activated) and move one wire, or jumper one wire, (My senile mind forgets) and "fix" the turn signal switch.

So you ended up with no working 4x flashers, but at least the signals and brake lights work. DO NOT ask me how I did this. This was FORTY years ago!!!

I love this guy. Awesome knowledge.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by blue 68 gts
I love this guy. Awesome knowledge.
Yea..I wish I knew half of the stuff he did...
Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Blue - all rear lights work, turn signals and flashers work too so it can't be the bulb

440 - im gonna take a wild guess and say the turn signal switch is in the steering column?..how difficult is that to replace?
I am neither party, but the turn signal switch is a little tough to replace, as you have to remove the steering wheel to get to it. With a Steering wheel puller, and the other correct tools, its not really hard to do, just kind of a PIA to have to do it....
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner

Yeah me too, and now that you brought it up, I cant remember either... And its been about that (years wise) for me too...
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts

You really need a shop manual. Let me see if I can rustle up a few drawings I'm not all that familiar with the different options on all the cars, especially the 'boats.' You get into tilt wheel, adjustable column, etc and "things are different."

Generally you need a wheel puller and if you have a front balancer puller, you can use that:

The turn signal switch is right there "on top" but the caveat is that some trim parts won't allow the harness connector to come out without tearing things apart, depending on the car model.

FRANKLY I would not be the least bit adverse to cutting the wiring off the old switch close to the switch, so you now have a connector with a long pigtail. Then cut the connector off the new switch about an inch from the connector, so you can see the wire colors if necessary.

If you do a good job of connecting with "butt connectors" nobody will ever care.

Be gentle, NO prying!! IF you get all the proper screws, etc, out, it will come right out.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Mopar Fan

I can't thank you enough 440...my dad has a wheel puller and is gonna help me when the new part gets here...I love this website
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM

OK it could be the bulbs that is where I'd start the next would be fuses after that be sure to check your grounds and if its none of them check for broken or frayed wiring starting at the brake light sockets and working your way towards the front of the vehicle. it could also be the brake light sockets also.