LeBaron turn signal atuo cancel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy LeBaron turn signal atuo cancel

Car is a '91 Lebaron convertible with the 'wishbone' turn signal/headlamp flash arm on the left side of the instrument binnacle. Recently the turn signal auto cancel facility just failed. I've changed the turn signal module and also the hazard switch on the steering column. On the old hazard switch as on the new the 'pawl' that engages in the rachet on the steering column seems OK.

What next? I don't really know where to start. Does the hazard switch send a signal/pulse to the turn signal switch - how - which color wire.

This isn't a train crash but it is darned annoying when I forget to manually cancel.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
I couls not find a good enough photo of the break down of the switch. But it sounds like the Cancel Cam or the Metal ring on the steering wheel is broken or missing.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Thanks for that. The Cancel Cam that's just in front of the hazard switch is a pretty substantial peice of metal, runs all the way around the column and seems OK. It's fulfilling it's role and moving the cancellation 'pawl' on the hazard switch - that's where we get stuck as nothing happens to cancel the direction indicator. I've changed the hazard switch so I seriously doubt that's the problem. Could you further describe the 'metal ring' on the steering wheel.

I'll try to take a photo and post it but I'm new here and that may be above my paygrade!
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Close as I can Find..... See note Number 6.....

http://grantproducts.com/files/instr...7503-00-01.pdf
Old 09-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Sadly that diagram is of little use. The '90' - '92 Lebaron converitble/coupe has a unique turn signal mechanism (possibly shared with the Dodge 440) which I described earlier. The canceling 'pawl' on the steering column/wheel sends a signal (somehow) to the turn signal itself on the lower left dash cluster binnacle. This is quite remote from the steering wheel and steering column. I believe this was one of the last car designs that had no stalks emanating from the steering column. All switches - lights, wipers, washers and turn are on the binnacle. I don't believe this system uses a conventional watch spring.

It's that 'somehow' that I need to find. How does the turn signal know to cancel. It can't be mechanical - apart from the initial movement of the wheel - as the turn signal is physically 9 inches from the steering wheel. I believe a joint has gone dry or a diode or resistor has burnt out. Where could I find a simple wiring diagram that shows this system. I'm beginning to see why the '93 and later model years changed to the stalk system that other manufacturers were using.