YANKEE EXPRESS '67 Coronet

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
YANKEE EXPRESS '67 Coronet

I purchased this '67 in October 2014 from a Craigslist ad. it was originally bought in NC but came from Texas when I got it. It's a 100% complete car, untouched survivor. I intend to resto-mod it and change a few things. I know that this will irritate some of you. Sorry. It's my car.

To begin with it is now striped down to the shell. The 318 is sold, the quarter panel lettering and numbers are sold, I now have a center console complete but for the courtesy lamps and shifter. I have begun to shave off the gas door and flatten the trunk floor pan. I also have mocked up the hood scoops. The plan is to install a fuel cell in the forward portion of the trunk space behind the back seat with a welded in sheet metal panel between the front and the trunk. The gas filler is an aircraft jet fuel filler cap that will be positioned at the front/center of the trunk lid, flush with the surface of the deck. I have a 1974 440 wedge V8 that is all set to begin a build to make it a 500 HP MAX WEDGE clone. I will switch from a column shift auto to a floor shift manual. I have most of the parts in hand. The hood will have a sloped center portion resembling a cowl induction type hood with 2 scoops to either side. It is similar to a 71-74 Challenger rally hood only more boxy and square to fit the cars styling and lines. Some mods in the works are frame connectors, torque boxes, leaf spring relocation to the frame rails, tubbed rear wells, a 200 mph speedo overlay, '66 front grille, shave the gas door, door handles, fender mounted turn signals, QP lettering & numbers, V8 emblems, hood letters frt and back. The wiring will all be hidden and the A/C lines and equipment as well. The only thing in the engine compartment will be the motor. I will install Wilwood pedals with clutch and MC reservoirs inside the cab. All firewall mounted electronics etc will be either inside the car or behind a closeout firewall smooth panel. The doors and the trunk lid will be operated by touch sensor's hidden on the car. The front hood will lift up by tilting forward. There will be a custom fabbed panel over the radiator and area forward of it behind the grille and also two panels to each side at the level of the top of the inner fender in a wedge shape front to back. A roll cage is being fabbed at this time by a welding company locally that is owned by a good friend. The final color will be a 1987 Chrysler color, Deep Forest Green that looks black until it hits sunlight. The center of the hood will be flat black with a stripe package that flows down next to the scoops and over the edge of the fender to end back at the fake side scoops behind the doors like on a GTX. The 500 trim is also off and the holes will be filled. I have the R/T rockers and am searching for the R/T wheel opening lip trim. So...let's see...what else? The QP and tail finish panel emblems will be E/X instead of R/T. Same with the door panel / glove box Coronet plates. I have a Ford 9" rear axle and MOPAR 8 3/4 to chose from. Those are the plans at this date but the winter here in Vermont isn't over yet so i'm still dreaming and planning. lol.

Last edited by Ghostrider 67; 01-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Looks like a great tread to start... Cant wait to see photos and documents of this Build.... Subscribed for sure...

Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have any left from your budget and send it to me I'll
compliment you any day of the week, if not I still like your plans.