12 point bolts on fulltime dana 44 front hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all thank you for replying

Yes those are the spacers i am talking about. I have no problem with the grease. but don't have the smaller washer and with out it looks like when you tighten the axle nut it would allow to squeeze the bearings.
i got new bearing kits and there was not smaller spacer it there. just the larger outer spacer.
defiantly odd part not to have and difficult to fine.
You say the smaller spacer goes between the two smaller inner races? that would make total sense. but its funny that it doesn't show one on the diagram. but that would prevent the inner races and bearing from being crushed/ over tighten together when torquing the axle nut.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I believe the bearing preload is predetermined by the matched spacer(s) that makeup a set. I don't think you can over tighten the bearings on this setup unless maybe you where to greatly exceed the 100 FT LBS. spec. on the axle nut.

I think the smaller spacer was eliminated on more recent bearing sets... if I had to guess why I would say a cost cutting measure. But, I've installed a set like that before and noticed no issues.

Some more information would be helpful like:
  • How did you seal the front knuckle retainer caps? (rtv?, gasket, o-ring) I ask because I tried using an oring once and it interfered with the cap clamping down resulting in no preload.
  • How where the old bearings removed from the hub?
  • Where all blurs cleaned/removed before pressing the new bearings on the hub(s)?
  • How did you press the new bearing set onto the hubs?
  • What seals did you use for the rear of the knuckle?

When I press the bearings on the hub, I would do it in stages. I would stop to spin the bearings by hand so they would self-center (being a taper type bearing). I made sure they spin freely by hand before reassembly of the knuckle.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (02-05-2024)