1965 Dodge Coronet issues starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 Dodge Coronet issues starting

Hi everyone,

I have a 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 with a 318 ci engine. It runs excellent once it's warmed up, but I have some issues that I'm hoping to get some more knowledge on before I take it into the mechanic.

My issue: Most often than not, I have to pump the gas pedal pretty hard when I turn the ignition to get it started. Sometimes it won't start, so I let it sit, try again, and start it up. I then let it warm up for a little bit, and then it runs great.

Before I take it in to the mechanic, I want to be able to have some knowledge of what could be causing the issue. I've saved up some funds to work on this, so I'm open to fixing anything and everything that could be the problem.

Car history: It has about 71k miles right now, and from what I recall when I bought it there was a previous owner that rebuilt the engine (not sure how long ago, I have to check the papers I have).

Any advice would be great!

My future plans are to get the suspension upgraded and get a disc brake conversion. Also, to take care of any rust.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
arrows -

OK, well, it might be normal. Don't expect it to start like a new car with fuel injection.

If the car starts up fine when it is warm, but not cold, your choke may not be closing fully (most likely) or there may not be enough fuel left in the bowls to fire up.
The longer the engine cranks, the more time the fuel pump has to do it's job.

But again, it may be perfectly normal.

Archer (We're not related, are we???)

Old 02-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
I had this happen on a '78 Ramcharger 440 I owned. In the morning it was really bad, it'd crank til the crap battery died. If it was warmed up and I was running errands, it was usually fine.

The eddy carb was clearly done for, so I saved up and bought a stock replacement, new and dialed in, for quite a few coins.

Same darn thing.

I think I should have checked the entire fuel system for leaks, myself, looking back. The fuel was likely making its way back toward the tank and with no elec fuel pump, I had to manually coax it back up toward the engine… using the starter/battery. Not great.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I think I may have jinxed myself when saying that she runs fine after starting up, because I just go back from trying to start her up and the battery is dead/dying. Nothing but clicking noises. I had to push it down the street to get a better parking spot, and I'm going to try to jump it later today, when I finally catch my breath from pushing the heavy machine.

The battery is probably a month old, so something is going on under the hood. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.