1973 Plymmouth Satellite Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 Plymmouth Satellite Advice

I have a 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. It has a 1968 318 in it, with just a 2bbl carb. I've helped restore a 74' Cadillac, started on a 73' Volkswagen super beetle, and helped with a 75' Vette and saw this Satellite for sale bout a year ago, so my father in law and I bought it in hopes of turning it in to a Road Runner Clone, but at the momment i'm just gonna fix her up, I'm now using it as my Daily Driver, it runs fairly good, it has a duel exhaust and it's a Automatic. I don't have tons of Experience I've only been toying around with cars for about 2 years. But i really love classic cars, and would like to make this Satellite My first solo Project. I know I'll need to take it in to have upholstery and Paint done at a shop, cuz i cant do either of those, but can probably do most of the engine work myself. I don't have a huge budget for parts so I'm just gonna do little bits at a time. But i'd like to know some of the things i can do just to get the ball rolling, i was going to put new Spark plugs in, get a new wireset, i just changed the oil, i'm getting the Trans. Serviced on Wednesday, and i was going to put a new breather filter in it. I don't plan on selling this car, just want to have a nice classic to use as my Daily. Any Advice on basic things that should be done would be great i'm eager to learn =)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Mopar!

You need to read, read, read about Mopars. Look at lots of pictures and figure out what you want to do with the car. I just 'googled' Satellite Sebring and found lots of images and it looks like you can get a decent size wheel on that car. Big wheels, dual exhaust and that 318 should make a decent daily driver! Maybe you want the 'stock look'..... nothing wrong with that! I would look at every Satellite that I could, get ideas and develope a plan. Good luck! Rick
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum
make sure you know about this: https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/o...-engines-2333/
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D-

Some good advice above. Back in the day, the first - get your hands dirty mod was to clean up the engine bay and swap out the stock intake manifold with a mild dual plane (like Edelbrock) and a 4 barrel carb, (either Edelbrock or Holley). Stay around 600 cfm and you should be fine until you decide to break into the engine. Picking the right parts after that will still allow you to use the same intake/carb, with a little tweaking.

Welcome aboard.

Archer
Old 06-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the Advice, i'll shop around for a intake manifold and a 4bbl Carb. Thanks for the tip on the OHV Oil Problem too. And yeah i think i have 225/75's on there now, i need to replace them soon any ways. I really like love the Roadrunner/GTX Hood I want to try to find one, and put it on. And whats a Good way to really clean up my Engine Compartment?? lol
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D -

Gunk, followed by elbow grease and the judicious use of paint touch-ups, followed by rerouting wires and/or using flexible wire coverings, followed by nre plug wires and a lot of wire looms...

Archer
Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome. Glad to see another young fella getting into the V8's. I've been loving mopars for 38 years and the first thing to buy is HP Books How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar Engines by Larry Shepard. By far the best tool to have. I was a Big Block guy but now loving my 318's. Remember no question is dumb, I have probably made dumb mistakes you couldn't even imagine, ones I won't reveal here. If for any reason your taking the valve covers off document your head casting number for future reference when it come to modification options.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 AM

I redid my entire interior of my 73 satellite from JC whittney for very cheap. I reupholstered the seats with ease. I blasted them and repainted them and they looked great. I reused teh cushion, but the new vinyl looks sick. the carpet was short by maybe an inch in the corners but another easy fix for about $200. The headliner may be a little tricky. I F$#@d up by trashing the bows for the headliner and spray glued a roll of headliner from JC. Replaced the dome light with on/off switch overhead map lights.... For the Dash, I tore it out, repainted and glued on a plastic cap, which I regret because its chipped in the hot sun. I'm still looking for a replacement. GL and have fun bra!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Mopar Fan

If you're going to clone it make sure you find that roadrunner power bulge hood, cant be a runner without it. Theyre hard to come by and can be a bit pricey but if you keep your eyes peeled on craigslist, they pop up every once in a while
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I just picked up a 73 bulge hood(because my car has had a 74 on it, wrong) for 500 bucks this summer, it has some surface rust on the underside, but otherwise in pretty good shape.

I do have a 74 bulge hood, that has no rust and only a few minor dings, that i will be letting go of soon, but it wont be cheap!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Idrive, for your 74 RR hood, does it also look like the bracing was cut by the factory?