71 Dodge Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71 Dodge Charger

Been reading here for a long while, but just newly became officially signed up. Great site.....lots of knowledge and decent fellas here.

I just bought a 71 Charger from a barn find. Was stored for 30+ years in a barn with a concrete floor. Car is very solid - all there. Buckets and console (not sure if thats standard). Was told its a factory 383 car - going to check VIN to verify that. 318/727 is whats in it. Guy threw in a spare RT hood. He has a 440 as well he offered me for a good price if I wanted to go that route.

My question is: would you restore it to what it was originally sold as, or is it really faux paux to build an RT clone, 440, etc? As with all these kind of projects, I always look for an exit strategy to keep from getting too upside down in a project. My fallback is to sell it as it sits for a solid project to someone who may have alot more spares and knowledge of it. Would love to restore it - just weighing my options ATM.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Doppleganger; 01-20-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
DG -

When you ask for opinions, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Back in the day, we started rebuilding or "customizing" our rides from day one. Either for more speed, personalization, whatever.

Ask yourself what you want out of the car (and there's no right or wrong answer there) and proceed accordingly. What we would want or do has little effect on what you want or do.

BTW - if it a real R/T hood, it's worth more than a few bucks... just sayin'

Archer
Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Well, I'd like to make it into a clone, but at the same time dont want to kill its value by doing so. I've only scantly had Mopars so not so much into them I would know if this is a bad idea. Heck....my wife found a 1948 Huffman Flyer bicycle...all there but in need of repaint, etc. The bicycle "purists" thought I was the anti-christ for daring to want to powder coat the frame, let alone even paint it! lol

Is the car worth more as original or same as a clone? Everything is here and original (that I know of - have not confirmed if it is or is not a 383 car).....if it was just a rolling shell, I might not care. A 'clone' would certainly be less stressful to drive.

Also....is there a "numbers matching" scheme to these? I had heard that Mopar's only had date stamped motors but nothing that would match a serial number to the car itself. No idea about the 318 thats in it but was wondering that if the VIN shows its supposed to be there, how to tell if its original.

Thanks much.

Last edited by Doppleganger; 01-20-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: cant spell - lol
Old 01-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Crush it.....
Old 01-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Sounds like a great idea. You know more what they're worth than I do.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
5th digit of the VIN.. L-383....

I'm with Archer... Build it to your Budget and your preference...
I see a lot of cars and trucks of folks (Not just Mopars) that build them and get in way over what they had wanted to spend and turn around and dump them.

I just got done, Counseling a friend of mine who Took on a 1969 Chevy Camaro DZ VIN'ed Build and did a good fix re-sto too it... Just to turn around and took an Azz Beating on the sale... True story..

Sooooo... I guess, as a hobbiest... I would build it for me and have fun with it... But if you are not in love with the car... Make a few bucks and pass it on...

Your choice.... depends if you have the passion or not?

Just my 2 cents.... Good Luck....
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the input fellas - its all very appreciated. I do like the car, just always feel the need to keep an exit strategy in place and dont want to kill any resale -if- I have to. At the moment, I'm leaning towards passing it on to someone who would have more resources (spare parts especially) to restore or use it more efficiently than I. I KNOW its worth more presently than I have in it.

My inlaws are in their 90's so for the time being we're on a perpetual babysitting mission 900 miles from home that has killed any consistent income on my end....thus the need to cover my exits if a Plan B is necessary. (there are alternatives but divorces can get kill incomes too).

I just shudder at the thought of ever finding another one in this shape and complete to do when the time comes. Right car - wrong time. If only the state would obey and pick my numbers.....

Thanks again.

BTW....what is the Dodge rule for 'numbers matching' or checking serial numbers of the car to the motor? TIA

Last edited by Doppleganger; 01-20-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:37 AM
Mopar Lover

Mopars can be very challenging. You just have to do your best. VIN number will give you some. And a build sheet found in the car will help you the most. And the core support card will help also. Then you can go on the hunt decoding what you have.
If you like the car. Keep it. It's not costing much to hang on to it for now. When times get better, then think about a restoration. For now. I say put it together and drive it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Iowan
Crush it.....
Have you lost your mind !!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
Have you lost your mind !!!!!!!
Just checking to see anyone is watching, the 71 is my favorite year Charger, black on black 440 RT 4 spd. But yes Bob, my mind hasn't been found yet.