Is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good buy?

Hi Everyone,

NEw to the forum trying to buy my first plymouth car and need some opnion about this car is it a good buy etc let me know thanks

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...r/1182779.html
Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Doen't sound like a bad deal. I would for sure want more pics. Maybe have someone local inspect it for you. Its not too far away from me.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MercuryDon
Doen't sound like a bad deal. I would for sure want more pics. Maybe have someone local inspect it for you. Its not too far away from me.
well actually thats not the real price he even actually even lowered it to 12k which is why i am so suspicious about it and it only has 25 actual miles, is true that most older cars turn over after it reaches over 99,999 miles it goes back to 0?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jaypizzles
well actually thats not the real price he even actually even lowered it to 12k which is why i am so suspicious about it and it only has 25 actual miles, is true that most older cars turn over after it reaches over 99,999 miles it goes back to 0?

It's too much for prices now a day IMO. Maybe 5 years ago.

Now, that shows 25k miles, so its guaranteed atleast 125k, or even 225k.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by blue 68 gts
It's too much for prices now a day IMO. Maybe 5 years ago.

Now, that shows 25k miles, so its guaranteed atleast 125k, or even 225k.

Just my 2 cents

so just your opnion if the price is 12k would you buy it from what you see is worth it?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Mopar Lover

so just your opnion if the price is 12k would you buy it from what you see is worth it?

I would not buy it for 12k. It'll take you over 15k to restore it properly.

Like I said, when cars were selling for high, I could see 12-18k, but that was 5 years ago.

Again, YOU need to do what makes you happy. By all means, if that is the exact car you want, go for it. I'd just do some shopping first.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM

I would not buy it for 12k. It'll take you over 15k to restore it properly.

Like I said, when cars were selling for high, I could see 12-18k, but that was 5 years ago.

Again, YOU need to do what makes you happy. By all means, if that is the exact car you want, go for it. I'd just do some shopping first.
ok i appreciate your opinion when you say it will take at least 15k to restore it what do you think it needs?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are there more pictures than just the one of the engine?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX
Are there more pictures than just the one of the engine?
yeah he sent me one on my phone but its almost exactly the same as the one he posted
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Mopar Lover

ok i appreciate your opinion when you say it will take at least 15k to restore it what do you think it needs?

I couldn't tell you. But it looks like a project car to me..

Without knowing what has or hasn't been replaced I'd say:

Motors and trans gone through, seals, gaskets, ect. Overhaul both of them.

Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, the basics.

Shocks, motor mounts, most likely a radiator.

Body work and paint is expensive, interior, carpet, ect.

Not trying to scare you.

But as I suggested, do some shopping. Or buy that car if you want it and drive it like it is till you can do the restoration ---- If thats what you were planning on doing with it
Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I couldn't tell you. But it looks like a project car to me..

Without knowing what has or hasn't been replaced I'd say:

Motors and trans gone through, seals, gaskets, ect. Overhaul both of them.

Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, the basics.

Shocks, motor mounts, most likely a radiator.

Body work and paint is expensive, interior, carpet, ect.

Not trying to scare you.

But as I suggested, do some shopping. Or buy that car if you want it and drive it like it is till you can do the restoration ---- If thats what you were planning on doing with it

thanks for your opinion its the only road runner i found so far that is on my price range lol... i can always restore it as the years goes by from what the owner has told me it has a new shocks, brakes wheels, bearings headers, and exhaust
Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id make sure everything is matching #s some say they are and there not see if there is a build sheet look for hiding rust. It looks like the drivers side rear fender may have some rust around the wheel I think you could do better on the price I can get a 6 pk road runner for 9k around here and its in about the same shape
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zach8200
id make sure everything is matching #s some say they are and there not see if there is a build sheet look for hiding rust. It looks like the drivers side rear fender may have some rust around the wheel I think you could do better on the price I can get a 6 pk road runner for 9k around here and its in about the same shape
do you know someone selling a road runner 69 or 70?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

What a car is worth is determined by what a buyer will pay and a seller will sell if for. First ask yourself is this the car you are looking for or are you just settling for it because you have not found what you are looking for. If you are looking for a Hemi orange 70 4 speed Road Runner then I would say get it inspected and make a deal. If you really want a Blue 69 Automatic, I'd say make him a offer that will make it a car you can live with. I have found on these forums when a car is offered for sale you get lots of opinions saying its a bad deal. And then when those same people go to sell their car its priced the same or higher. To get a Idea of what a car should sell for check Ebays closed auctions for your year and model
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MercuryDon
What a car is worth is determined by what a buyer will pay and a seller will sell if for. First ask yourself is this the car you are looking for or are you just settling for it because you have not found what you are looking for. If you are looking for a Hemi orange 70 4 speed Road Runner then I would say get it inspected and make a deal. If you really want a Blue 69 Automatic, I'd say make him a offer that will make it a car you can live with. I have found on these forums when a car is offered for sale you get lots of opinions saying its a bad deal. And then when those same people go to sell their car its priced the same or higher. To get a Idea of what a car should sell for check Ebays closed auctions for your year and model

i mean i like the car but i really like to get 69 with a black interior but i dont mind having this especially with the price
Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
If you really want a 69, keep looking. You'll find it. Price wise, that 70 has the same asking price as the 70 I bought last summer. Actual purchase price was 10,000. These are desperate times for lots of people, so you should be able to get a good deal. I wanted a 70. You want a 69. Get what you want. They are avaiable.
Good hunting,
Marty
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leem
If you really want a 69, keep looking. You'll find it. Price wise, that 70 has the same asking price as the 70 I bought last summer. Actual purchase price was 10,000. These are desperate times for lots of people, so you should be able to get a good deal. I wanted a 70. You want a 69. Get what you want. They are avaiable.
Good hunting,
Marty
thats what i was thinking keep waiting but this car is actually is located in my state less hascle if i buy it compare to buying one out of state
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Well....you can't go wrong with a 70...sharp lines, great styling on the grille and rear....And orange is cool.

Marty
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Mopar Fan

i think its too much .. and it probably has over 100 or even 200 thousand miles on it calling for rebuild and in addition you still need to restore it...hes asking too much for it even for a matching number car! but its all up to you. and if you do go for it do NOT go over 10k on it !
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by rc-ltu
i think its too much .. and it probably has over 100 or even 200 thousand miles on it calling for rebuild and in addition you still need to restore it...hes asking too much for it even for a matching number car! but its all up to you. and if you do go for it do NOT go over 10k on it !
damn your about the second person to tell me its too much i thought these cars are worth something lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
In this month's Hemmings "Muscle Machines" there is a "rock solid 383 car", "ready to rock right from the auction field" that had a $30,000. bid on and they "Can't figure why the seller didn't take it". They list the average selling price for a 'driver' at around $25,000.

This car, although a cool project car, with a 4 speed, is overpriced.

Yes, they are worth money but, the current economy doesn't allow for the skyrocketed and inflated prices of just a few years ago.

It's just the way it is. Good for the buyer and not so good for a seller.

MercuryDon's line says it well:

"What a car is worth is determined by what a buyer will pay and the seller will sell it for."

Last edited by Silverick; 03-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Mopar Fanatic

If its a good solid numbers matching So. Ca. Car its not a bad deal. Numbers matching 4 speed cars are not all that common as they generally had harder lives.You will find cheaper cars in the rust belt states but it will cost major bucks in sheet metal work to get them to where a So. Car is to start with. Some people put a value on what they can turn around and sell it for when they are done VS the purchase price. You will very seldom get the money you put into a restoration out of it. If this car is one you are not planning to flip and it will make you happy make a deal. People told me I was payiing to much for my GTE at $22.5K. I had been looking for a Blue on Blue one for 30 years and buying it was the fulfilment of a dream, well one just went thru BJ auction for $165K plus commision allbeit a bit nicer but not much. So was I a dummy? I don't think so. Go with your heart.

Last edited by MercuryDon; 03-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM

to be honest i would rather go with some peoples opinion on this one cuz i have never own an older car and from what people are saying on this board its not worth 12k, the car is not perpect the seller set me more pictures and there are a few rust on the floor plan and trunk but thats usual for an older car, i dunno i do want the car but for some reason i have a feeling there are going to be better deals down the road but right now at this moment i want to buy it haha
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
i dunno i do want the car but for some reason i have a feeling there are going to be better deals down the road
You just made up your mind right there. Don't bother buying this one, wait for something better that you truely want.

Floor pans, trunk pan, fenders, etc. are all going to cost a good amount for a body shop to replace. Even if you can do it yourself, you'll be dumping a lot of time into a vehicle that you are wishing was a 69.

Keep shopping.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200
You just made up your mind right there. Don't bother buying this one, wait for something better that you truely want.

Floor pans, trunk pan, fenders, etc. are all going to cost a good amount for a body shop to replace. Even if you can do it yourself, you'll be dumping a lot of time into a vehicle that you are wishing was a 69.

Keep shopping.
i guess your right but its just really tempting its in my price range and its in the same state which makes me go back and forward with it plus im not use to not having a weekend car just sold 02 z06 vette on january and just not use to having a weekend car
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Look at this for comparison: http://www.cars-on-line.com/50378.html
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silverick
Look at this for comparison: http://www.cars-on-line.com/50378.html
i dont even look at those way out of my price range, but i see your point good cars like that are going to cost money
Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Mopar Fanatic

last time i knew it was still for sale i can get you the number its in greenville, MI
Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zach8200
last time i knew it was still for sale i can get you the number its in greenville, MI
can you pm me the number? do you know how much it is i dont want to waste the guys time if its out of my price range
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Mopar Fanatic

well the one in greenville michigan is gone i just looked there are a few on roadrunnersite.com under the classifieds by owner id check out there

Quick Reply: Is this a good buy?