Installing stock replacement leafs....which holes do I use?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Installing stock replacement leafs....which holes do I use?

Which front mounting holes were used in the stock configuration?

Also, I have an adjustable snubber and even on the lowest setting, it appears to be touching

How far does it need to be wheels down?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
Which front mounting holes were used in the stock configuration?

Also, I have an adjustable snubber and even on the lowest setting, it appears to be touching

How far does it need to be wheels down?
The upper holes from your post. If the snubber is touching you can always go with the regular snubber. I still haven't looked at a 68 b body but I think yours are further back than stock. Hopefully someone can take a look or post pictures of the stock ones from a 68/69 be body to compare.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I tried the upper holes and the height is too low

It may look good in these photos, but it's actually sitting on the snubber

With the snubber removed, it will drop about another 1.5-2".

Contacted the guy that sold me the front mounts and he said I should use the lower holes for stock height and the upper holes for lowering

So, I'll be relocating them in the morning and see where the pinion snubber sits before ordering a stock one

Here are some shots of the Super Stock leafs that will soon be listed on Craigslist

Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
This is the factory snubber from an 8 3/4 chunk out of my '68 Charger. I see them pretty regularly on ebay.

If I remember from a previous post your front spring hangers look aftermarket to me. The factory ones only have one mounting hole; with the ones you have I'd use the top hole.
Attached Thumbnails Installing stock replacement leafs....which holes do I use?-untitled-composite-01.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Moparod
This is the factory snubber from an 8 3/4 chunk out of my '68 Charger. I see them pretty regularly on ebay.
Even on the lowest setting my current adjustable snubber is still much taller than that

If I remember from a previous post your front spring hangers look aftermarket to me. The factory ones only have one mounting hole; with the ones you have I'd use the top hole.
I picked up new front mounts for the stock replacement springs as the mounts for the Super Stock leafs are set back 2 inches and will not work.

I tried the upper holes on the new mounts, but it's too low, so I'll be relocating them to the lower hole in the morning.

The height you see in these photos is with all the weight sitting on the pinion snubber

With the snubber removed completely, it actually sits about 1.5-2" lower (too low)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm jealous of your shop, and the fact that it's warm enough to leave the overhead door open.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I dont suppose you could post a picture of the snubber and the underside of the car where the snubber comes into contact? Something doesnt sound right.

Factory normal snubbers only come into contact with the stop under the seat when the car is almost dragging the gas tank on the ground.

Factory raised snubber at lowest position would leave the car sitting low in the back end but not dragging on the ground.

The raised adjustable snubber with the car at normal height in the rear should bang on the bracket under sudden load. Like 3000 rpm cold starts.

The normal snubber is there to prevent the gas tank from dragging on the ground in the even of a spring failure.

One of the things you will almost never see is the paint on the underside of seat where the rubber bumper comes into contact even on the r/t cars because its not close enough to do so. Anyone who claims to hit bang the snubber on a regular snubber car either has broken or sagged out springs or an engine in the trunk of the car as it just wont happen.

Like I said something is fishy here seriously. Of course if the snubber you have is customized and sits higher than 3 inches from base of plate to top of rubber at it's lowest setting that is a different story. Dont forget the back end of the car goes up and down quite a bit with just a half in difference on the height of the snubber.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by jacilynn_s
I dont suppose you could post a picture of the snubber and the underside of the car where the snubber comes into contact? Something doesnt sound right.
Here's a shot of the adjustable snubber on the lowest setting

I put some grease on it so you can see the contact point

Factory normal snubbers only come into contact with the stop under the seat when the car is almost dragging the gas tank on the ground.

Factory raised snubber at lowest position would leave the car sitting low in the back end but not dragging on the ground.

The raised adjustable snubber with the car at normal height in the rear should bang on the bracket under sudden load. Like 3000 rpm cold starts.

The normal snubber is there to prevent the gas tank from dragging on the ground in the even of a spring failure.

One of the things you will almost never see is the paint on the underside of seat where the rubber bumper comes into contact even on the r/t cars because its not close enough to do so. Anyone who claims to hit bang the snubber on a regular snubber car either has broken or sagged out springs or an engine in the trunk of the car as it just wont happen.

Like I said something is fishy here seriously. Of course if the snubber you have is customized and sits higher than 3 inches from base of plate to top of rubber at it's lowest setting that is a different story. Dont forget the back end of the car goes up and down quite a bit with just a half in difference on the height of the snubber.
Umm, as far as I know, the snubber is there to prevent axle wrap under hard acceleration (much like standard traction bars, only using the body instead of the front of the leafs to stop it from wrapping)

I've never heard of it being there to prevent the tank from dragging in the event of a spring failure, but I guess it couldn't hurt

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track.....

Last night, I had mounted the new springs on the upper mounting holes.

Measured from the lip of the quarter to the center of the hub and came up with ~12 inches.

Thing is, this was with the pinion snubber in place.

After removing the snubber, I measured again and it dropped about 1.5-2 inches, meaning all the weight was sitting on the snubber (not good)

So, this morning I relocated the springs to the lower mounting holes and measured again with the snubber off and came up with ~12 inches.

Then I mounted the snubber with grease, measured again and the height remained at ~12 inches, so at least all the weight isn't resting on the snubber, however, after putting her back up in the air, it was clear the snubber was still making contact (as shown in the photo above).

I figure after I get a new stock snubber, I should be in the clear

I was actually thinking about cutting of the square receiver tube on the adjustable snubber mount, then just drilling a hole for the snubber bushing, but I figure I can include it in the package when I sell the super stock springs
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Some photos installed

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Snubbers are NOT hard to find just get another one.

I know most people think that its only a torque thing but I got chewed out on that before by someone I respect. There is rubbers above the axle in the wheelhouse on frame too but the axle tends to rest on the snubber first. Need an example go look at a dart that rotted out (common problem as the springs come through the trunk floor.) there is about 4 inches of clearance between the gas tank and hte ground as the rear end rests solely on the pinion snubber. Its why they made the extended ones for cars that torqued.

Look at it another way. Why would Chrysler put a pinion snubber on a 7 1/4 in a dart with a slant 6? Why did the trucks not have one?

From your pic the tubing looks well too thick so I think its an after market one. I said earlier that the original ones were thin tubing. If you want to know how thin go look at the square tubing on a stop sign. But that could be the angle of the picture.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Installed and OEM snubber today

I put some grease on the OEM snubber to see if it makes any contact at all.

Ride is much softer now

That being said, I do find it easier to spin the tires now, so getting out of the hole isn't as quick as before
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
The problem is that snubber is meant to be used with the super stock springs I used one on my 67 but I cut most of the rubber cushion off