Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Question

Hi, i am about to buy my first project car and was wondering if the car is even worth it. Now before i put up the link i would just like to say that i am not going for a numbers matching restoration since there isn't much of the car left other then the shell. I plan on doing a resto-mod so im looking to modernize the interior a little bit. I will also be going for a roadrunner clone (just letting you know...if that helps). So the real question i have is do you think it is worth it to buy this car or is it missing way too many parts to even do a resto-mod such as the door panels and all the interior trim. Thanks for the help in advance

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2415087684.html

If link ends up expiring let me know i save it to word just incase. thank you
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vstone48
Hi, i am about to buy my first project car and was wondering if the car is even worth it. Now before i put up the link i would just like to say that i am not going for a numbers matching restoration since there isn't much of the car left other then the shell. I plan on doing a resto-mod so im looking to modernize the interior a little bit. I will also be going for a roadrunner clone (just letting you know...if that helps). So the real question i have is do you think it is worth it to buy this car or is it missing way too many parts to even do a resto-mod such as the door panels and all the interior trim. Thanks for the help in advance

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2415087684.html

If link ends up expiring let me know i save it to word just incase. thank you
Parts aren't too hard to find, and more and more are being made every day. Some are even cheaper than the first generation road runners. I guess it really depends on your pockets, and how much of the work you can do yourself. From what I can see, I'd grab it, but then again, I can do all the work myself and not have to farm any of it out. How much can you do, and how much can you spend? Better figure on having about $10-12K in it once it's where you want it, even doing all the work yourself, including the purchase price. That's about what I had in the GTX clone in my avatar and pics, about 3 years ago, but some of that price was GTX specific parts that were HIGH dollar stuff, like $700 for a set of rocker moldings.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Will build Mopar in Sacramento for food

Where at in Sac are you? I live in Natomas right now..
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM

BuckNeccid: Thank you for the information but to be honest i am green when it comes to car restoration, i mean my dad is a mechanic and i know a little bit so we got the engine deparnment covered but when it come to teh rest we are either gonna have to learn or maybe just hope one of my dad's connections can do the work for us at a low price. And ya thats fine about the price estimate...this is gonna be a long term project that im gonna be paying for over teh years so im not expecting a 2-3 yr build. i dont mind waiting if thats the case.

Blue 68: We actually live in Modesto but i was just looking for a good project to start with but thank you for the offer haha. I have a feeling going that route will be pretty expensive so we wil just have to try doing things on our own but thank you very much.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I'd say no unless it is something you have been looking for or have some sentimental attachment to.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 PM

i see well i haven't been looking for it but i have been looking for a cool yet cheap muscle car to build. I mean i have already had 2 1979 Pontiac Trans Ams and im currenlty driving a 1990 Nissan 300zx (i know its not a muscle car and im not saying that it is) but i want a weekend driver that will get peoples attention. Since my dad is a mechanic he wont let me modify my 300zx since it wont pass smog and ive always liked american muscle cars way more and happened to fall upon this one after looking for :'69 camaros, 69 firebird, 69 charger, 70 challenger and a 71 cuda. But those are all out of my price range plus i wont feel guilty about doing a resto-mod on this car since its just a shell anyways.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Sounds like your thinking the right way on this, and I like your Dad's common sense. As long as you know what your up against then go ahead, won't get any cheaper. I've got a 1970, and the front bumper on that year (72) is way too cool. Big balonys on the back and they do look tough.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
A guy down here just finished one with the new hemi / 6 speed trans /srt8 front seats/srt8 wheels/green with a orange roadrunner stripe around the roof, very kool car he's been building it for years.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Ok well i'd like to thank you all for the information it was very usefull, now time to start doing some research. Thanks again
Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should buy mine its a 72 Road runner with everything its a project car has all seats and door panels and what not just needs to have restoration just like any other car i have a ton of pictures if you want to email me $4700 OBO its a non matching 340 car
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM

I would love to but you live pretty far away haha, not really planning on going to other states in search of a car but that is one hell of a price and thanks for the offer.

Edit: A new problem has risen. The 1972 Satellite that i was going to purchase apparently has no title. He says that when he bought it from the previous owner (from Portland, Oregon) he never got one. So i asked him if he had the nupber of the owner which he responded with "I may be able to dig up his email with phone number" and know im waiting for a reply. So i guess my new question is what else should i do and go about this if he can get the number? Sorry for my inexperience but im only 19 and never bought a car w/o a title before. Thanks for your time

Last edited by vstone48; 06-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by vstone48
I would love to but you live pretty far away haha, not really planning on going to other states in search of a car but that is one hell of a price and thanks for the offer.

Edit: A new problem has risen. The 1972 Satellite that i was going to purchase apparently has no title. He says that when he bought it from the previous owner (from Portland, Oregon) he never got one. So i asked him if he had the nupber of the owner which he responded with "I may be able to dig up his email with phone number" and know im waiting for a reply. So i guess my new question is what else should i do and go about this if he can get the number? Sorry for my inexperience but im only 19 and never bought a car w/o a title before. Thanks for your time
I am not sure about CA but in Texas you can apply for a salvage title...that more our less means you salvaged the car and brought it back to life...another approach is a lost title but that costs more and takes longer
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Mopar Fan

Get the VIN off the car. Call Orgeon MVA with the VIN... They may provide you the last owners name and address or Google does wonders. The last owner might be willing to get a $20 replacement title but may want a little compensation for his time. OR might just have a good heart.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Mopar Fan

By the way... The car looks solid.. I'd offer $1000 since there isn't a title.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Rustymopar: that sounds like a great idea ill see if the guy can give me the vin today and hopefully can get the previous owner's number. And i tried to lower the car down to $1500 but he said the lowest he would go is $1700 but im not done working him over yet haha. Thanks for the help
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I would make the deal contingent on him getting the title. Worked for me in the past. He is going to run into this with anyone he trys selling it to.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
No title no deal. In cal It could end up costing a fortune in fees if it was not Non oped