1969 Chrysler Newport Custom: Dashboard Do-hickeys

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1969 Chrysler Newport Custom: Dashboard Do-hickeys

Greetings crew members.

Sitting (in the bridge!) behind the nostalgic steering wheel (with the little horn ring) of my 'vessel', I was diggin' the dashboard layout. Lots of idiot lights, toggle-style switches, roller-style radio dials instead of *****, and the ignition in the dash. Been a LONG time since I had the privilege of stickin' the keys 'in the dash'- ON THE LEFT to boot! Just wicked-cool in my opinion.

Question: whats the larger roller control to the left of the AM radio? Does this direct heater air flow between the defroster, the dash 'eye *****' and floor vents?

Also found the 'map light' toggle switch. Neat little switch 'clicks' but nothing happens. I'm suspecting She needs a replacement bulb.

Supposed to have cold weather here all week. Have to wait for 40+ degrees before I start crawling all over this 4000lb. 'Schooner'.
I don't do cold well.

Like a kid in a candy shop, Boompy Rightfoot
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Are you saying the ignition key is to the left of the column? Weird, I've never seen that before. Guess you do learn something new everyday.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.4spd
Are you saying the ignition key is to the left of the column? Weird, I've never seen that before. Guess you do learn something new everyday.
That is correct, Sir.
Down low and to the left of the steering column.
I say "wicked-cool"!

Speaking of learning something, I'm surprised the forum filter removed:
k . n . o . b . s and eye b . a . l . l . s

Glad I wasn't really swearing!

Any idea what the large roller thingy is?

Regards, Capt. Boompy's Charter Boat Service

Edit to say: now the words are back and the *s are gone- weird...

Last edited by Boompy; 01-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

...Forgot to mention this: When we completed the notary work, I was presented with the original bill of sale for my car.

She was purchased from the local Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership on January 16th, 1969 for a grand total of $4416.50. Even have the iers check receipt. What a time machine...

My 'boat' was built when Nixon was President and Man first walked on the moon.

Cast-off, Capt. Boompy the Historian
Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Boompy

Question: whats the larger roller control to the left of the AM radio? Does this direct heater air flow between the defroster, the dash 'eye *****' and floor vents?
My guess is it's the dimmer switch for the dash lights.

my '69 fury also had the ignition on the left too.

john
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Van
My guess is it's the dimmer switch for the dash lights.

my '69 fury also had the ignition on the left too.

john
Not sure. There's a small roller wheel over there (port side of the dash) near the wiper/washer and head lights toggle switches. I'm thinking that's probably the dome light and insturment dimmer control.
The mystery item is a larger diameter chrome wheel left of the AM radio.

I need to find a replacement owners manual.

Prepare to cast-off, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Does it look like this?

http://images.conceptcarz.com/imgxra...-12-GG-i02.jpg

My guess is antenna u/ down if you have power antenna, and speaker fader / tone etc controls

The dash dimmer is the roller at far left of the panel
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
Yes, very similar dash layout. I think the link photograph may be a 300 or New Yorker. I can see the optional clock, cruise control on the turn signal arm, and what looks like an 8-track tape player. My mystery wheel is actually located up under the hooded portion of the dashboard, kinda' above the heater/defrost/air controls.

I took delivery tonight!
Drove right to the gas pump and shot $40.00 of regular in "Her" 24 gallon tank. Picked-up my Wife and did the ritual around-the-block ride. "She" runs like a wrist watch. Nice "Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum" on idle.

Couple of items to look into:
#1 The left (port) top-of-the fender turn signal light is not working, however the dash board indicator is working.
#2 All the lights seem to surge a little bit off idle.
#3 Had the heater ON the whole time but never really did feel warm air. There is what looks like a heater core 'skid mark' on the carpet on the passanger floor.
#4 The small rectangular marker lights low in the quarters are not working. I thought they were (maybe) strictly turn signal lights- nothing.
#5 The map light works when the doors are open, but not with the map light toggle switch.

The trunk light IS working and the trunk is incredible. The mat, grey 'spritz' paint, spare TIRE and jack are all there.

I can handle the electrics but I'll start a new thread regarding the heater.

Can't believe I finally have 'Her' dockside.

Cast-off, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 01-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Greetings crew members.

So who can tell me what this thing is?

Name:  MightyMopar013_zpsbc5fee47.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  67.0 KB

Many thanks, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

"She" runs like a wrist watch. Nice "Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum-Blum" on idle.

Couple of items to look into:
#1 The left (port) top-of-the fender turn signal light is not working, however the dash board indicator is working.
#2 All the lights seem to surge a little bit off idle.
#3 Had the heater ON the whole time but never really did feel warm air. There is what looks like a heater core 'skid mark' on the carpet on the passanger floor.
#4 The small rectangular marker lights low in the quarters are not working. I thought they were (maybe) strictly turn signal lights- nothing.
#5 The map light works when the doors are open, but not with the map light toggle switch.
Update on my piece of Detroit history.

#1 Found replacement bulbs. They're being shipped to my door.
#2 The lights surging seems better. Still need to follow that rabbit.
#3 Heater is working!- found a pinched vacuum line off the manifold.
#4 Rectangular 'marker lights' are only reflectors.
#5 Map light and glove box light are both working- wake-up sweet heart.

Still not sure what the 'wheel' is in the photograph.

Also, the 'vent' control beside the wheel- does that direct the heat?
(This slide selector is really stiff- unwilling to move.) I only get heat through the center dash louvers, nothing through the dash "eyeball" vents. The 'defrost' button does send heat to the windshield.

I need an owners manual. That little book would explain a lot.
Either online, or at the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle this July.
http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis...s/default.aspx

Such a neat old car, very fun to own and drive. Only 18,401 made. SO many were crushed: through 45 years, 3 gas crises and the -for-clunkers program. Wonder how many are still on-the-road?
Had a fella just the other day ask, "Hey, what kinda' car is that?"

Regards, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Vent control.........most likely an open fresh air vent. Both my RR's had those, my Dart has doors with handles on, no pull cables. You have to actually reach down under the dash and open them. These bring direct fresh air in from the cowl openings

Map lights. These are one of the poorest documented options. They make use of special dome light door switches, as well as part of the circuit goes to ground through the mounting of the map light switch. The circuit IS in most service manuals, but the internals of the dash switch are not

Sorry, don't know about the "what's this" above the radio

Fender turn indicator.........I don't know if this option was available on the big cars, but there was a STUPID option called fuel miser or mileage minder or some damn thing. This was a wiring harness and vacuum switch. It worked like a vacuum gauge.....when you pressed down "too far" on the gas pedal, this dropped engine vacuum, and activated the switch and turned on the left side fender turn indicator. These show up every once in awhile over at FABO

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 02-09-2014 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boompy (02-12-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Mopar Fanatic

MYSTERY WHEEL- SOLVED!

Greetings Crew Members.

So I bought a brand new 1969 owners manual from RockAuto.com.
The 'mystery wheel' controls the fade between the front and rear speakers.
Also found-out my antenna needs to be at 40" for best AM reception!
Such a neat old 'barge'.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
No Kidd'in.... Well I'll be dipped in hot chocolate.....
Know that one I ether forgot or just pan didn't know.....

Old 03-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Thats right I did know that.. but forgot...One of the many things purged from this old brain that has been thrown into a digital world...My Brain is still running on Windows 95 or before...Lol ...I distroyed 3 of those cars in Demolition Derbys back in the early 80s..All big blocks... If I only knew...I also did a 440 Coronet & Coronet 500...How stupid is that??? And the 500 was a 4 speed big block...Bill
Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
On this subject ... I have a 68 Imperial Lebaron with the multiplex 5 speaker stereo radio. The speakers on the doors stopped working. I hope the vibrations of opening and closing the doors damaged them. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by pro-tech
Thats right I did know that.. but forgot...I distroyed a Coronet 500...How stupid is that??? And the 500 was a 4 speed big block...Bill
OH CRAP!

I'm sure if we had the chance, we'd all do a few things differently.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by demetri
On this subject ... I have a 68 Imperial Lebaron with the multiplex 5 speaker stereo radio. The speakers on the doors stopped working. Any thoughts?
I'd look at the wiring. Sounds like (no pun intended) a loose connection, a rub/pinch (short to ground) or a broken wire.

Use a multimeter set on continuity to check the wire from the speaker through the door hinge boot to the radio. Check one conductor at a time. If no continuity 'beep' on the meter, I'd say there's a broken/damaged wire.

If you have continuity, check your connections at the speaker and the stereo, might find something there. Good hunting.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Mopar Lover

It will more than likely be in the wiring from pillar to door insde the boot...They break all the time even on newer stuff as new as 2011 Ive repaired a bunch already of that year...Bill
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-tech
It will more than likely be in the wiring from pillar to door insde the boot...They break all the time even on newer stuff as new as 2011 Ive repaired a bunch already of that year...Bill
Yeah, thanks all. I will look into this again the next couple of weeks. One observation, however: The left side speaker was making a bit of hishing noises, which you could barely hear when the volume was up. I think the other side was dead. May be the wire is ALMOST cut due to the open-close, and makes very little contact. Makes me feel better, as the main electronic module is probably OK ... (incredible that it still works as it does, so many decades later).
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Or the 2 wires are touching each other on the left...Good Luck...Bill
Old 07-13-2020, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roller by radio is for light above radio

Not sure. There's a small roller wheel over there (port side of the dash) near the wiper/washer and head lights toggle switches. I'm thinking that's probably the dome light and insturment dimmer control.
The mystery item is a larger diameter chrome wheel left of the AM radio.

I need to find a replacement owners manual.

Prepare to cast-off, Capt. Boompy's Deep Water Charter Service
Old 07-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Greetings Mika775 and welcome to the forum.

Since that post I discovered the "wheel" is the fade control to adjust the sound between the front dash speaker and the rear deck speaker. The toggle switch beside it is for the map light under the dash.

Enjoy the forums, lots of very knowledgeable people here with loads of helpful information.

Regards, Captain Chrysler
Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 AM

1968 custom

For some odd reason my ac and heat will stay running on defrost. It will come on in auto if I put it on defrost 1st but when I stop at a light as soon as I take off it will shut off but if it's on defrost it never shuts off. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 AM

Oh and you are correct..
Old 07-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mika775
For some odd reason my ac and heat will stay running on defrost. It will come on in auto if I put it on defrost 1st but when I stop at a light as soon as I take off it will shut off but if it's on defrost it never shuts off. Any ideas?
Greetings Mika775.
So I'm not sure what year, make and model MoPar you have. I had some trouble with my 1969 Newport Custom heater and A/C control. One day I pushed the button for MAX A/C and I clearly felt it travel too far into the dash. When I tried to push the OFF button, nothing happened.
Those buttons are connected to a mechanical box of copper tipped plastic cards. When you push a button that card slides inside the box and aligns with the control pickup. Really cool idea but all those years of button pushing blew the back of the box off.
I had to remove the heater and A/C controller from the dash, a job in itself. I disassembled the box of cards and cleaned everything. I greased the cards and JB WELDed the back of the box.
I suspect that your controller may be ready to fail, the back of that box is loose allowing those cards to migrate.
If you can get a look at the back of your controller to see, but my dash is very complicated and tight. I just grit my teeth and did the surgery.
Switch off, Captain Chrysler

Old 07-14-2020, 08:04 PM

Hello, I have a 1968 Newport Custom

I have a 1968 Newport Custom all original. I'm going to attempt to take the control switch out.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:05 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mika775
Hello, I'm going to attempt to take the control switch out.
Wow, nice car! Take your time with all the connections and good luck. The dash board is made up of components so you just need to figure out what needs to come out to get to the heater control. On "The Ghost" removing the huge AM radio really made a lot of room in order to get to the control.
Fearless, Captain Chrysler
Old 07-16-2020, 06:38 AM

Ok and thank you!