New C Body owner with a few Questions (65 Polara)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New C Body owner with a few Questions (65 Polara)

I just drove home a 1965 Dodge Polara 4 Door. I will be using her as a driver. It is such a boat. I do need to do a few things to the car and am looking for some help.

The radiator has a leak, it has been repaired before and would like to just put a basic radiator in there instead of having it fixed again. Anyone have a suggestion? Inexpensive as possible.. this isn't a restoration project.

Also, she has a little rust in the wheel wells and rockers, are repro pieces available or patch panels?

The exhaust has been cut off right at the crossmember that would be below the dashboard. So it is loud... I like it but would like to put exhaust on it. Any suppliers selling manifold back kits?

Last question, its a little damp inside, but the seals all look good around the windows and doors, any common places for these to leak?

THANKS!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does it got the big block or the polysphere engine (aka:318)? Believe it or not, a radiator from a mid 70's GM {like a Nova with air} would be a good candidate IF you can do some mild fab work to make it fit. Probably one of the cheapest rads to buy.
{I know I'm really gonna hear about that one.....} The GM rads. were a crossflow design and were more efficient. The best part though, in your case, is the price.
No repro pieces to buy that I know of. Get friendly with a good body man would be my suggestion. Not really noted for leaks as some of the other mopars but it is an old car so keep a good eye on ot when it rains. Exhaust will be cheaper to have fabbed locally, dont know of any prebent systems for it but they might exsist but I bet they would be high dollar. Use your imagination and you may get other exhaust pieces to work from other mopars.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Mopar Lover

Sweet Jesus did someone say GM rad in a Polara..for shame, for shame.
Anyway enough razzin'
You can get quarters from Cross Canada Autobody, I think it's the same listing for the 65 Monaco also. How bad is the rust, from the pics it doesn't look that bad, once again the question arises...How much do you wanna spend. Post some pics of the problem areas.ie: body & exhaust.
Welcome to the forum man. Nice ride.

Last edited by Polaradude; 10-26-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 AM

The rust isn't bad at all, but there is some rust through on the fender wheel well lips. Like I said this is a driver so I can live with it...

It is a 383 with a 727.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the leak, this is just a hunch, check under the mat on the front passenger side seat and tell me if it is moist there
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Mopar Fan

I don't know about a 65 but my 66 leaks really good around the window seal. The car looks great, just can't play in the rain! Actually I think it's not the seal but the trim screws that are into the window frame. My glass guy did not want to mess with it. But he did tell me that these old Mopars are notorious for window leaks. Just be careful that you don't rot out your floor...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 PM

The heater core is leaking. Any sites show me how to take it out that you guys know of?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 PM

holy cow what a PITA! I took the cover off and antifreeze started pouring into the car. went and undid the heater lines to the core under the hood and they broke in half. I love old cars... This is making me love my Volkswagens more! no coolant!

Anyways, still looking for a takeapart. Also, now that the cover is off, when I open the flap I can see what looks like the core, but looks more like a humidifier filter than a radiator. Is that What I am after?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPaddle
holy cow what a PITA! I took the cover off and antifreeze started pouring into the car. went and undid the heater lines to the core under the hood and they broke in half. I love old cars... This is making me love my Volkswagens more! no coolant!

Anyways, still looking for a takeapart. Also, now that the cover is off, when I open the flap I can see what looks like the core, but looks more like a humidifier filter than a radiator. Is that What I am after?
I think that may be a filter, not the core. Core is made of copper and is soldered together. It is a series of tubes going through thin cooling fins.
Like on your air cooled VW oil cooler, it looks similar but has the two tubes attached.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 AM

Do you know how to get it out?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Mopar Lover

I am not sure on the 65 but you should be able to remove the blower box ***. and the core should be right there. Should be able to do the re&re from under the hood.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM

OK I got the &^$&$ Heater out. No, you cannot do it from under the hood. Here it is and it looks nasty. FLAPS dosen't have a listing for it, but know some of you guys have been able to pick it up at Napa, is there an interchange or a part number you can help me with by seeing it?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 PM

OK I managed to find one at a not so local auto parts store, but close enough.. they should have it by friday... $38
Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 PM

OK.... That was fun.. But It is back to Air cooled VW's for me. Car runs great and the heat is kicking now that I have done up the system. I'd like to get $2400 for the car and it has new Tires and bitching Chrome wheels now.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Paddle, Did you sell your car? Or did you decide to give it one more try?

Man I know the feeling. I have been burnt a few times with old cars. It always seems the ones that look the nicest end up having the most hidden gottchas!

All things are repairable but it still hurts when your new toys turns out to a pile of challenges!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM

I still drive it every day. I replaced the alternator. everythign was good for awhile now the battery is getting drained every night. I am just disconnecting it.

I have a trade set up in february for a 70 vw bus so I am happy. The car is serving me well as a winter beater!