5.9 Magnum computers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.9 Magnum computers

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to ask so i'll start here. I am wanting to import a 5.9 Magnum out of a Ram to Australia. And i'm planning to use it in another vehicle, complete with all accessories, wiring harness and computer.
My question is, are these computers able to have the security code system removed so i can 'unlock' it and use it as a stand-alone unit so i can keep the efi? Also is there software available to turn off all the uneccessary features i will not need?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
From what I've read, Mopar computers are not "do it yourself" friendly, either as to security, or retuning.

I'm getting ready to experiment with a bunch of Ferd stuff, quite a bit of which i got for free

From some of the threads I've read, many guys are going with various aftermarket computers.

A guy some time ago adapted Ferd stuff, named "EFI-Cuda" I'd sure like to get ahold of him

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/in...p?topic=7247.0
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Ok, I'm happy to go aftermarket as long as it will do its job. What kind of aftermarket stuff is there available and what will work for my purpose?

Daniel
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 AM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Yes and Yes.

You can unlock the magnum computer. And yes, you can turn off certain features.

You need to make sure you take the entire harness, 02 sensors electric leads, both fuse boxes and the OBD2 port.

You need an SCT tuner for loading tunes and you can either hire a pro tuner ( on the web who can email you tunes based on your info and or data logs ) or use the sct pro racer software to rewrite your own.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 AM

PK1, thanks for that information. Since this is all foreign to me, could you point me in the direction of where to get the software for this. I understand about the components i need to have but if i can find one with everything still attactched to the motor theres a good chance it will still be on? right?

Daniel
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5.2 and 5.9 Ram computers had no security until 2002. Plug and play. Dakota's and Durango's can have SKIM (theft). Just stick with a 2001 and down Ram and you'll have no issues.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Sure.

Yes. As stated above my preference would be to look for 2001 Durango SLT, SLT+ or RT or earlier as the choice model due to a plentiful power distribution center and larger injectors for the 360 that can take you to 400 plus hp. You can use Dodge vans too.

You can call SCT Tuners or look at their website and find a dealer. Most dealers work by sending you a "canned" tune. That tune is nothing more than a file to get you going with some ballpark settings. Then you record data and they email you tunes that can be loaded into the hand held controller. The controller is the item you need to buy and you can buy it from any vendor you choose. The part number for the motor is 9550.

To log data it can be as easy as a camera phone and a wideband meter with rpm in the background or as complex as zetronix wideband logging tps, rpm, temps, pressures, EGT, etc.. ( I run the latter).

Unless you have a background in this type of work it is will be cheaper to use a tuner. Most will sell you the device and charge an extra fee for lifetime tunes. Some charge as little as 100 dollars extra. The tuning software is 300 dollars and then you need to teach yourself and it isn't easy, at least it wasn't that easy for me .

The correspondence and tune files are all done by emails so these guys can do it no matter what country you live in.

Do some research on SCT 9550 and PM me if you cant get anyone to help you out. I'd be happy to have one of the guys I've used in the past send you an email if you need the contact.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys!
Apart from locating a motor that comes with everything that i need, that person needs to be willing to ship internationally, which is the hard part.
As told by my engine builder/dyno tuner, i needed to make sure that they had no theft security and that it could be run as-is and that there is tuning software for these particular computers, the rest he says he can do. So PK1, if you wouldnt mind emailing or pm'ing me details of where to buy the tuning software i need.

Once again, you guys are being very very helpful and i appreciate it very much.

Daniel
Old 08-05-2012, 02:06 AM

PK1, I am trying to pm you but your inbox is full and wont accept any new messages....
Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 AM

PK1, I'm not sure if you are receiving my PM's. Haven't heard from Sean yet, need to purchase one asap...

Daniel