True Barn Find 9_2013

Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
True Barn Find 9_2013

True Story.....
So... I'm Sitting at work and my Cell phone rings.... I pick it up and a drag racing buddy of mine, say's Hay Bob, whats up. i say note much just working my butt off. Hes said I have a question for you. I say...ok Shoot.... He say's to me. A friend of mine has just picked up a 1964 Dodge Polara out of Phoenix AZ. and wants to know if it's worth anything? I reply it might be!!! Whats the story. He said it is a 1964 Dodge Polara with only 61 miles on it. The guy that had it won it from a radio giveaway show. The guy was a Chevy guy and took the car home, Parked it in his barn, an never drove it again. I said Wow, " Thinking I need to go over to the shop and see this thing". I asled my buddy is this thing aat your shop? My Buddy said no it left a few hours ago headed to Las Vegas.. I said oh Darn!!!!
My buddy said, You know I dont know **** about Mopars and nether dose this other guy. I say Ok...My buddys asked me, It say's 426 Max-Wedge on the valve cover, and it has a strange intake manifold with 2 carbs on it draping somewhat over the valve covers.. He said to me... I know what a hemi is but what is this Wedge thing???? (I laughed and explained it to him some what.)
He then tells me the car is All white with red interior.
Now I'm thinking Wow.. This guy has something maybe.... My buddy then pops the $ question...What is something like that going for... I told him. Depending on the numbers it could be as high as 50,000 to 75,000 Bucks.
He said oh **** this guy picked this thing up for $3,500.00 Bucks.... i said No Way!!!! And he said Yaaaaa Way !!!!! I say What a Smok'in deal. And my buddy said what ever. As we talked he said this car had been sitting in the back of the barn untouched. I went back and said... That car if its a good number car is probley worth rite as it sits about 50,000.... He said ok....I'm going to call and let him know.. I say ok....If he sales the car let me know what he gets for it? He said ok.... And we hung up..... There was nothing in the conversation about the famous (Lightwieght) (DragLite) frontend. so I Discarded that as being part of this car......
Now come Night.... My Buddy calls me back....Said,, Hay that Polara.... I say Yaaa..... The Dude sold it for 42,000 as is.... I said No ****???? he said the guy that bought it was Shacking so much he thought the guy was going to die on the spot before he could get the car loaded up on the roll back....
The last question that my buddys friend asked was How much do you think you will get for it when you sale it.... The mans reply was 80 to 95 K....
Know...I know I have to keep an eye out for what comes out of the wood works......

Cheers Guy's
Bob
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
you dont see many of the 426 max wedges. very cool
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Bob, Man that is unbelievable, I wish I found a deal like that just once, and that is a once in a lifetime event. To bad there were no pictures. Did he get the car running?? Great story...Bill
RacerHog (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Bill This all just happened in the last three day !!!!!
My Buddy didnt even take any pictures.... But what do you expect from a couple of chevy only guys!!!!
And Your Rite....."Why dont we ever find stuff like that"...
If Id had got over to his shop to seee this thing... I would have blown my camera up taking pictures of it.... And you can bet that i would have tryed to strick a deal too..
But no...He sold it not running....with all the AZ. Dirt still on the car....
My buddy did say... The car had all the fluids drained out of it... He said when he open the door, you got blasted in the face with the old Moth ball blast...lol However the interior was in also most perfect shape....
My buddy was told that the Man that bought the car.... Kept tapping on the Speedo Say " This has to be broken? Theirs no way this car has 61Miles on it".

Crazy...I'm So Sad.....
Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Bob, Some day it will happen to us.. and if it doesnt then Oh well we are blessed in other ways... Right? Look at you just a few minutes from the track & you've got your health. Me I've got a big 40 X 100 heated garage with lifts in my back yard. and a nice warm home with a 28x40 garage on the house. Dusty is ok for now and is a nice ride, it still needs the transmission pulled and overhauled but it will have to wait till I feel better...Bill
RacerHog (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Mopar Lover

You are 100% rite on Bill....... We are Blessed in Many ways.... Ive got to own and drive lots of cars.... So I cant come plan....
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
many years ago i came CLOSE to finding a 1956 300B barn find. but it dried up. a different 300B a friend of my dads bought one new. my dad cosigned with. when the payment wasn't made the finical co called and ask for my dad to make payments. my dad said "put the car in my driveway and ill make the payments" but the car never showed up. bummer