New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe - Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe - Project

Hey everyone! This April it will be 10 years since my grandpa (Big Kahuna) passed away from a long battle with cancer/diabetes and passed down his 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe to my son. These two had a very special bond and used to work together on this vehicle together as well as other projects. My son tried to learn some basics and work on it throughout high school, but did not get very far as he had nobody teaching him after the age of 9. Last month, my son became a United States Marine, so he will be gone for the majority of the next 4 years.

I'll be perfectly honest here: I don't know much about auto mechanics or restoration. I'm hoping to learn everything I can and surprise my son with a running vehicle by the time he visits home again (not sure when that will be, but I estimate sometime next fall). This car carries a high sentimental value with it and he will be over the moon to finally be able to take her for a spin.

Currently, the Plymouth does not run but I've been told it's in decent shape considering its age. I'm fully aware it is a large, costly project, but I don't even know where to begin. I'm hoping to have it parked in my garage within the next month or two to begin any work that I'm capable of doing on my own. I've asked around for help but that usually results in empty promises. I'm tired of waiting and want to learn for myself not only because I love learning, but also to stay connected to my son as he dedicates the next few years of his life serving our country.

Any guidance or encouragement is welcome!
Thank you,
One Dedicated Marine Mom
Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Welcome one dedicated marine mom, our hats off to you and your son, and thank him for his service. I personally have a thing for family projects and understand the connection the car makes with the people involved. I have a daughter that raced one of my cars at the age of 16, she had her drivers license for all of three months with shaky hands and a helmet she made her first pass down a drag strip with her dad by her side.
so post some pictures and tell us a story of The Big Kuhuna and your son, the car and your plans, you better get in there to.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Welcome to the site... Are you on the Island or here State Side? Great Project...