New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

Finally back in a MoPar after 25 years!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally back in a MoPar after 25 years!

Greetings!
Finally back in the driver's seat after a 25 year absence!
Was collecting MoPars back in the mid to late '80s when I was in my early 20s.
First one I bought was a 1968 Dodge Charger. It was a shady deal with some biker folk in an unpleasant neighborhood. Paid 600 bucks. Car was in pretty rough shape, but it was a Charger and had a 440 in it. No exhaust to speak of, so the damned thing sounded like an aero plane when I fired her up the first time. Limped it home where she essentially sat for a few months while I was in the process of ending my first long term relationship. Wound up just bailing out with the clothes on my back, and the Charger was left behind...
Couple years later, had another chance to buy a classic, a 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 w/318:

Bought it for 900 bucks.
Loved the body style, but was wanting more cubes. Didn't really have much respect for the small block V8 until I decided to sell it and really started pushing the motor. I was pleasantly surprised by what it was capable of.
I was living in the neighborhood I grew up in, and I recalled a cool old car I used to walk by every day on my way to school.
I went and knocked on the door, and a decrepit old man answered. I asked if the car was for sale, and he said he didn't think it even ran, but would come out and see if it would fire up. Turns out he had undergone brain surgery for a brain tumor and was not quite the man he used to be (his words). He slowly got in the vehicle and tried the motor. Nada. He went to his garage (where there was a sweet 1970 Hemi Cuda, but that was for his grandson) and grabbed a charged battery.
As soon as he got it in and the driveway beast fired up, I could see some of the old spark return to his eye. As all this was going on, he had mentioned a price of 1,500 bucks. I hopped in the passenger side, we rolled out into the street and he proceeded to get on it, chirping the tires thru the first three gears. Told him I'd buy it right then and there.
The car in question was a 1969 1/2 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six Pack car, with Hurst 4 speed manual tranny:

Totally legit and correct A12 M code car. He was the original owner and had just lost interest in the car since his health issues. It had a Ramcharger hood on it currently, but he promised that I could get into his storage and dig out the correct fiberglass lift off hood he had stashed away.
So there it was, two badass Coronets, 2,400 hundred total invested. The Bee was in need of a new vinyl top and the interior was in rough shape since it had sat outside for so long. This was around 1987. Primarily drove the 70, but drove the Bee when I needed to really feel the rumble. I approached a local restorer and asked about working on the '69. In his shop, I noticed a nice newly refreshed 1970 Challenger T/A, 340 Six Pack car:

At that time, those cars were more valuable and desirable than my beloved B bodies, and I was interested in checking out what a better handling MoPar was all about. I wound up swapping both Coronets for the Challenger. In retrospect, one of the biggest bone head car deals I ever made, but I was young and the T/A was finished, while the Bee was in need...
Drove the Challenger for a few years, loving every moment. Great car and tons of fun. Eventually had some issues with the motor, so put it away to save $ for rebuild. GF called me at work one day and said the car died at the side of the freeway. I asked how that could be, I told her not to drive it. She gave me some story, the engine seized and she was rear ended. Essentially a total loss....
Wound up with a 1969 Dodge Charger not too long after. Had a warmed over 440. Was a nice straight car from Arizona. Paid 1,200 for that one. Drove it until some guy had a desire to build a General Lee clone and offered me 2k for it. By then I was kind of over all the issued associated with a classic, so took the dough and bought a modern used car.
Over the years, I've often thought of getting back in, but for whatever reason, timing was not right.
Recently been riding a SuperSport Kawasaki (at least it's close to MoPar lime green ;-) :

and driving the family around in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Kind of feel like I was pushing my luck with the bike, and after three years of no issues, figured time was now to get off the bike before I did go down. Not as quick to heal as I used to be, and I figured if I was going to get anything close in value to what I was looking for, the time to sell was now.
I initially put my bike up locally on Craigslist looking to trade for an old 1970 Coronet, but seems like there are not 318's left. Anyone that has one are cloning them out to Super Bees. Way out of my price range....
Started thinking I was gonna have to buy something roached, but I needed a driver since I was ditching the Kawi, or get a station wagon, since I could at least find one in my 4k range and would be in a classic again at least.
Through all my recent searching and connections made, Hooked up with a local shop that restores and flips classics. Owner and I developed a rapport, and looks like he is up for helping me get back into a beast.
Finally found a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II for 3.5K:

Nice solid California black plate car. Recent paint and interior. Nice dual exhaust upgrade. Untouched numbers matching 318 engine and automatic drivetrain. Factory A/C. Only downside is its a 4 door, so not a true muscle car, but after a bit of tightening things up, think ill be able to flip it and be closer to a 2 door.
Really would ultimately like to be back in a 69 or 70 Coronet.
Glad to be back and look forward to connecting with folks here!

Last edited by snowtrooper1966; 08-06-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the forum... Glad to have you back in a Mopar!!! Be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest....
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

Don't you dare think of that beautiful 4 door as not a muscle car. She is great just the way she is, can keep up with other 2 door cars like her and has the possibility to be built into a sleeper (which is even better than a muscle car in my mind).
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Welcome, great story and and I agree with 78D200 a 4 dr can be what ever you want it to be...If it were a 4 cyl fart can car then NO it will never be a muscle car. All it can ever be is annoying...Lol ...Bill
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200
Welcome!

Don't you dare think of that beautiful 4 door as not a muscle car. She is great just the way she is, can keep up with other 2 door cars like her and has the possibility to be built into a sleeper (which is even better than a muscle car in my mind).

Too funny....
Purists be damned. Now who has a 2x4 intake and some early Hemi heads....
Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dude! 500 cubes Jerico 4 speed & Dana 60 would be a great recipe!

Sleeper style!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The part of the story he failed to mention is HE is the reason I am learning tons everyday about classics. I posted elsewhere on here what we were doing today, working with the carb and timing trying to solve a stall issue. Needless to say, I have learned a lot and look forward to learning more. I have a new addiction and it is better than any drug out there! Can't wait to get back to work on it!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There's no help group for this addiction if you feel as though you need help or are overcome with it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 PM

@DodgeAddict, sure you would agree a fully restored or super survivor 68 RT or 69.5 Bee would come close....

Last edited by snowtrooper1966; 08-06-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM

Forgot to mention first car was grandmas 70(?) baby blue Dart Swinger when I was 16.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I haven't been addicted long, I have no intention of ever seeking help. I may take hostages (our boys a 2 and 8) but I will gladly sink deep into this addiction and never resurface. My blood will soon have an octane rating.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrsSnowtrooper
Can't wait to get back to work on it!
That's my girl!