New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

Knowledge Is Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knowledge Is Power

My dad and I recently bought a 1969 Charger, but its nearly in project car condition. It runs and drives but really seems to lack the "oomf" I wanna feel when I put my foot down. Its a 4 speed with a '74 440, but it maxes out at around 70 m.p.h. Needless to say, I want to change that.

I've always loved muscle cars especially Mopar but have never really worked on cars. I've done routine maintenance stuff obviously (changing filters, belts, etc.) but never any real "work" I would say.

My first question is what are good resources to learn about rebuilding to a complete novice. For example, I tried to look up what sort of rear end would be a better fit for our car and was completely overwhelmed by the amount of numbers being thrown out, as well as having really no idea what any of them meant.

And, as I'm in college and have little to no money to really be spending on it, what are the best cheap ways to turn our Charger into a street menace?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Teej5757
My dad and I recently bought a 1969 Charger, but its nearly in project car condition. It runs and drives but really seems to lack the "oomf" I wanna feel when I put my foot down. Its a 4 speed with a '74 440, but it maxes out at around 70 m.p.h. Needless to say, I want to change that.

I've always loved muscle cars especially Mopar but have never really worked on cars. I've done routine maintenance stuff obviously (changing filters, belts, etc.) but never any real "work" I would say.

My first question is what are good resources to learn about rebuilding to a complete novice. For example, I tried to look up what sort of rear end would be a better fit for our car and was completely overwhelmed by the amount of numbers being thrown out, as well as having really no idea what any of them meant.

And, as I'm in college and have little to no money to really be spending on it, what are the best cheap ways to turn our Charger into a street menace?

Thanks in advance!
Finish College!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
TJ -

You're not giving us any information. What's the rpm at 70 mph, how is the timing set, are you getting enough fuel, spark are the exhaust clogged. What does it sound like?

We just don't know enough to make a call. Your most efficient way to figure out what's going on might be to take it to a shop that deals with that kind of stuff or join a Mopar club (ask at local speed shops, auto parts stores) and ask questions.

Archer
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome. No money to me means, spend what you have wisely. First buy or rent from parts house a compression tester, look up on you tube how to do a proper test before you buy anything else. If you have any bad cylinders no tune up parts will correct it.

Do you have a distributor with points?

If you move the crank back and forth until you feel resistance it will show if you have a loose timing chain. You can do this with the fan belt if you don't have a 1 1/4" socket.

Joining a club or going to swap meets will introduce you to veteran Mopar people who will love to pass on their knowledge to a young person like yourself. This is the knowledge you won't find in a book or on the internet. The internet is your friend though, as there is countless videos on basic tune up, diagnostic stuff for older cars.

You will get a lot of good help here, if you go to fast paced B Bodies Only, you may feel overwhelmed and you will have to sort through the many responses to know who is right.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
No money = be happy with what you have.
Power cost.