New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New Guy with a Coronet, and a 413

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy with a Coronet, and a 413

I've had a 1965 Dodge Coronet in the barn for a couple decades. It was my grannies, and I couldn't bear to crush it. At one point when I was driving it regularly, I put an Offenhauser manifold on the slant 6.

So, I've picked up a 413 engine and 727 transmission. I was told they had less than 100K on them. The engine is not seized.

My plan is to remove the plugs, spray some oil in, and put some Marvel oil in the cylinders, and crank the engine over an 8th of a turn, and repeat the process a many many times.

If I can get the engine to go through the full range of motion, I'd want to set up new ignition, plugs, and wires, and a Holley I have, and see if it would "spark up" for a fifteen seconds.

If it can do that, I'd want to set it up on a stand, with a radiator, and see if it can run, with no bad sounds, and get up to temperature, and not leak too badly.

I am thinking of replacing the gaskets, maybe including the cylinder head gaskets. New freeze plugs will be added. I'll send the tranny out for rework.

If I did the cylinder head gaskets, I'd probably put in an upgraded camshaft.

So, the Coronet was grannies. She couldn't see well, and sideswiped a Jersey barrier. The passenger side is battle damaged. That is part of the charm of the car. It is a 4 door.

I want to put the 413 engine in.

I want to install a front disk brake conversion, and a dual master cylinder.

The bolt circle of the front wheels will be bigger, so I would like to get the rear end bolt circle set up to match.

Should I change the rear end completely? From drum to drum? If so, what would I want to find as a donor?

I know my limitations, I have only worked on chevy engines and cars before. What advice do you have for me? I figure the front torsion bars would need to be replaced. I will probably not use headers.

I've also got an RV project going, and an IROC project going, so this is going to be a low budget build, at least for now. I'd prefer to make this a runner without machine shop time. That will certainly happen in the future though, at a minimum, a valve job.

Let me know your ideas. I'm in Massachusetts. I go by the name of Matt.