New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New here and to cars in general

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New here and to cars in general

Hello all, so I recently purchased a car that is going to change my life forever. Was recently in the market for a car. I had a 2000 Chevy Malibu that gave me no problem. So I considered a new car but after weighing the pros and cons I decided to go with an older car. I always loved the dart/nova/ Malibu look. I ended up getting a 1974 Dodge Dart swinger. Which bring me to why I joined. I'm not very mechanically inclined and neither is my dad. So I am here to learn. Any advice or links I can read into would be appreciated. I'm very intimidated with the whole process.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Welcome to the site..
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Welcome
Old 12-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D4 -

Welcome, did you buy the Dart for a fun/project car or a daily driver?

Archer
Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Archer
D4 -

Welcome, did you buy the Dart for a fun/project car or a daily driver?

Archer
Well it's a project for me in that it needs some work but ya this is to be my daily driver. Like I said idk much about cars. I'm 25 and never really grew up around cars. My dads more of a tech guy so I can't get any help from him. Kind of on my own with this but someone has to be the person to start from scratch for the family so I hope to be able to help my brothers when their grown . Although I do have some good friends of mine that own a shop that works on old cars but I don't want to have go to them for everything and kinda feel dumb asking them such simple questions. I currently have them doing the front end suspension. I'm trying to learn but its very intimidating so I'm hoping to get some reading or watch some vids to help me catch up

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 12-18-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Welcome to the site..
Thanks. Man I've been lurking for a while I see you in a lot of yhreads
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Mopar Fan

I'm a complete newbie at this so forgive me asking stupid questions. I've been working a lot lately but I'm able to read at work so I was hoping to find some reading material one might suggest to a person in my situation. All I really did was check the coolan and oil on my old car and it ran fine. So what are like some basics I should know and what not

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 12-18-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Mopar Fan

Here's some pics of my dart
Attached Thumbnails New here and to cars in general-img_3628.jpg   New here and to cars in general-img_3627.jpg   New here and to cars in general-img_3626.jpg   New here and to cars in general-img_3624.jpg   New here and to cars in general-img_3625.jpg  

New here and to cars in general-img_3593.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
D4 -

Well, first off, it looks pretty good, so congrats.

If you don't already have one, get an owner's manual (eBay) and a copy of Chiltons's manual for that year/model, also eBay. That will tell you about the stock car, maintenance, etc.

Then you have to decide what you want to do with it/modify it.

The car is definitely cool, but as a daily driver... it's going to be worlds apart from a current issue car and that's something you might have to think about.

Archer
Old 12-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Mopar Lover

I have found that the Automotive Encyclopedia can set one of the best foundations for the beginner in the automotive trade.

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-automo...YVA83M9QKMKWRN

Just my 2 cents....

PS... Cool looking ride...

I was a student of James Hughes..(Yes the guy that wrote ASE's and NASE'S back in the day).. Him and I have had many many discussions on topics.. Some I have even won...lol
A great man... And I must say that it was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to be in the same room with such a smart man... Made me just that much better at what i do....
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Automob.../dp/0131118390

Last edited by RacerHog; 12-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Archer
D4 -

Well, first off, it looks pretty good, so congrats.

If you don't already have one, get an owner's manual (eBay) and a copy of Chiltons's manual for that year/model, also eBay. That will tell you about the stock car, maintenance, etc.

Then you have to decide what you want to do with it/modify it.

The car is definitely cool, but as a daily driver... it's going to be worlds apart from a current issue car and that's something you might have to think about.

Archer
thanks for replying. Ya there's pretty much no rust I thought about it for a while and I'm sure I want to go this route opposed to a newer one. But I am coming into this unprepared but money's spent and I am fortunate in having my friends help for the major fixes, I just need to know where to begin. This is a big leap for me but I'm ready to learn . Fortunately the dart has ac so it's kind of an ease into possibly getting an older car in the future. I'll get right on finding those manuals

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 12-18-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Mopar Fan

I have found that the Automotive Encyclopedia can set one of the best foundations for the beginner in the automotive trade.

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-automo...YVA83M9QKMKWRN

Just my 2 cents....

PS... Cool looking ride...

I was a student of James Hughes..(Yes the guy that wrote ASE's and NASE'S back in the day).. Him and I have had many many discussions on topics.. Some I have even won...lol
A great man... And I must say that it was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to be in the same room with such a smart man... Made me just that much better at what i do....
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Automob.../dp/0131118390
cool thanks for the info. I got some reading ahead of me
Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

You have a nice looking old mopar, very kleen and after a few years of driving, repairing and doing updates you'll be pro. The things you learn will help you be a better consumer in general even if you don't do all the work yourself.

I like your approach and that you jumped right in.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Mopar Fan

So my friends helped me with the car. Got new front end suspension,brakes, and rims. Currently I'm having an issue with the brakes. They work but when I push down there's a lot of slack until the brake actually engages. It also doesn't come back fast on its own I have to pretty much pull it back up with my foot. Any ideas
Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Mopar Fan

Was also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to clean up the interior such as the dash. My whole dash was sprayed with like a textured black paint but I'd like to get something with color. Idk how I feel yet on either sticking with the old dash/cluster or get something a little more upgraded. Kinda used all my funds rn so I'm looking for maybe a cheap alternative for the dash or some way to clean it up.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Mopar Lover

Dash... Use a dash pad interior paint... Works ok.....
Might have lost you return spring for the brake pedal?
Make sure the brakes are adjusted with a slight drag... But if that dont help, Double check the master cylinder to booster push rod adjustment..
Re-Bleed the brake system. and then see how it feels....

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Mopar Fan

Dash... Use a dash pad interior paint... Works ok.....
Might have lost you return spring for the brake pedal?
Make sure the brakes are adjusted with a slight drag... But if that dont help, Double check the master cylinder to booster push rod adjustment..
Re-Bleed the brake system. and then see how it feels....

Just my 2 cents
Oh ok well we replaced the master yesterday and there's definitely more progress in the brakes but this morning I woke Timmy battery being dead and as I was walking away I saw that the brakes are pressed down on their own so the brake lights were on the whole night, I think I remember my buddy telling me that replacing the booster would fix the remaining brake problem

Last edited by D4Dartswinger; 01-10-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by D4Dartswinger
Oh ok well we replaced the master yesterday and there's definitely more progress in the brakes but this morning I woke Timmy battery being dead and as I was walking away I saw that the brakes are pressed down on their own so the brake lights were on the whole night, I think I remember my buddy telling me that replacing the booster would fix the remaining brake problem
I got into a deal like this a few years ago and it was the rear brakes weren't adjusted properly. I adjusted the brakes problem solved.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Hummm. Dead Battery... Hate when that happens....lol
Check for the return spring... Also... Might have knocked the switch out of adjustment? maybe?

Had guys get burned on that one also Iowan...
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Mopar Fan

Hummm. Dead Battery... Hate when that happens....lol
Check for the return spring... Also... Might have knocked the switch out of adjustment? maybe?

Had guys get burned on that one also Iowan...
Lol so after replacing the master cylinder and the little box the battery connects into(sorry not sure what it's called..maybe ignition switch idk). Figured out that the shifter needs to be pushed up like a centimeter when you turn the key. Was told this is common with old cars?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Starter relay....
Linkage can get out of adjustment from bushings and stuff getting old... But that will work till you get around to fixing it rite...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

http://www.allpar.com/fix/index.html

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dart.html
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Mopar Fan

Thanks you for the links. Definitely some I fosho I was in need of. Thank you very much
Old 01-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Mopar Fan

So I have a problem with rain water leaking in. We've had some rainy days this pst week and everything was fine until yesterday I start the car up after work and reverse out and when I stop to shift to drive the rock of the car cause all this water to drop down from what looks like behind the dash on the passenger side. My buddy says it has to do with possibly some built of leaves on the side , that there's some sort of path ways the rain goes in and drops out the car but that it may be clogged causing it to build up and flow into the car. Any suggestions? Also I can't thanks everyone enough for all the help. When I got my car I was more than intimidated but little by little all this info is soaking is like the water in my carpet :///// lol