New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New member here. Showing my experience trying get the Dealer to repair my paddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member here. Showing my experience trying get the Dealer to repair my paddles

My car: 2017 Dodge Charger Scatpack
So my paddle + button does not work right. The + on the gear selector works normal but the + on the paddles are erratic. It will do upshift or downshift when you press it.

This video is my 2nd test drive at Glendale Dodge to try to explain my problem. The first test drive was not sufficient because they said "it was not in manual mode so it was normal for the paddles to do that".
I told them the drive mode doesn't matter the paddle + is still unpredictable. "Come to test drive again".

This is supposedly the head technician.

Thank you for your time
Attached Thumbnails New member here. Showing my experience trying get the Dealer to repair my paddles-glendale-dodge.jpg  

Last edited by 392aramo; 10-08-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added car info
Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Option A:
Attend a performance driving school and request to be put in a paddle shift car.
Never question where you stand as a driver again.

Option B:
Go to Chevy dealership.
Ask to test drive a V8 Camaro with paddle shifters.
See if that actually is just how paddle automatics work.

Option C:
Trade in Automatic Charger for a legit manual and never have any correction from transmission computers again.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
It's a built in fail safe. They don't want you going from 5th gear and bumping it down to 1st gear at 70 MPH by accident. Only way to get around that is to reprogram the TCM (Transmission Control Module). This way it will do what you tell it it do. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
It's a built in fail safe. They don't want you going from 5th gear and bumping it down to 1st gear at 70 MPH by accident. Only way to get around that is to reprogram the TCM (Transmission Control Module). This way it will do what you tell it it do. Just my 2 cents.
You're stating a fact about the car. Sure that is obvious. That is unrelated to this issue.
The issue is paddle + is unpredictable and gear selector + works as intended.
Why does the same up shift command do different things.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by wreklus
Option A:
Attend a performance driving school and request to be put in a paddle shift car.
Never question where you stand as a driver again.

Option B:
Go to Chevy dealership.
Ask to test drive a V8 Camaro with paddle shifters.
See if that actually is just how paddle automatics work.

Option C:
Trade in Automatic Charger for a legit manual and never have any correction from transmission computers again.
Lmao.
Option D:
Dealer fixes my new car so I can use its feature without it being unsafe and unpredictable.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Oh, this is just a lifestyle for you. Isn't it?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Oh, this is just a lifestyle for you. Isn't it?
My bad wasn't going to take a post seriously when it's "should've got a manual". Or "go learn how paddles work". Lol.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Sorry I was hoping someone could help you out by now, I have no experience with the paddle shifters. The only paddle shifting I've done was in a canoe. Hopefully a member can come up with the answer for ya.
The following users liked this post:
392aramo (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by 392aramo
You're stating a fact about the car. Sure that is obvious. That is unrelated to this issue.
The issue is paddle + is unpredictable and gear selector + works as intended.
Why does the same up shift command do different things.
I would believe to take out the human error. And to steer clear from something catastrophic. Can the paddle's be accidentally bumped while driving the and steering the car around corners? This could be what is being corrected? The Clock Spring has no idea were the vehicle is pointed, if it was bumped.

I'm not being a smart azz. I'm just trying to really understand the issue.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:53 PM

I would believe to take out the human error. And to steer clear from something catastrophic. Can the paddle's be accidentally bumped while driving the and steering the car around corners? This could be what is being corrected? The Clock Spring has no idea were the vehicle is pointed, if it was bumped.

I'm not being a smart azz. I'm just trying to really understand the issue.
Okay i'll try to explain it in more detail.

First thing to get out of the way is how the manual mode works.
The car has a manual mode that you can control the gears with the + and - buttons on the paddles and on the gear selector next to D. So there are two sets of + and - buttons that do the same functions.(This is important to note).
The computer keeps everything in a safe range so if you want to go down to 1st gear going 70mph it will not. same with going to 8th gear going 20mph.
Anything in a safe rev range is fine so like it will let you drop from 3rd to 2nd gear going 40mph. To answer your question its not likely to accidentally hit the shifter but it wont correct you if you do. It will shift during a turn if you do press it.

The problem I'm having is that the paddle + button doesn't work right and the + button on the gear selector works normal. The two same + buttons do different functions and that's not right.
My paddle + has been working correctly for 11k miles and then it started to incorrectly shift.

for example
Using the gear selector + trying to shift up to get to 40 mph.
you get 1st > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 This is normal and works as intended. Each + requests an upshift.

Using the paddle + trying to shift up to get to 40 mph.
you would expect the same outcome but instead you get
1st > 2 > 3 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 3 > 2 its unpredictable unlike the first example. Each + requests a downshift or upshift. (It shouldn't lol)

So my paddle + requests a downshift. That is the issue the dealer refuses to say it is faulty. They say I drive my car wrong.
This issue has been posted by some Hellcat guys and they had the dealer replace the paddle to fix it. My dealer just repeats that my car "isn't broken" to avoid repairing it.

Hopefully I explained it more clearly.

Last edited by 392aramo; 10-10-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I definitely am not trying to start stuff.

Troubleshooting is often a process of elimination. It requires controlling conditions and restricting the number of variables to isolate a root cause.

Your process to solve your issue looks something like this:
1. Ask an OEM tech to test the system for faults in operation.
You did this step by bringing it to the dealership and letting them test drive.
2. Eliminate potential for misinterpretation of the system's intended function.
This is what myself and others have recommended to do next. There are a lot of ways to do it. As RacerHog said, it's possible that the system is attempting to compensate for human error, but it is doing so in a way that interferes with how you intend to make it behave.
3. Inspect the electronics from the paddle all the way to the transmission.
This comes after step 2 because it is more time consuming and expensive to do.
4. Break open the transmission and inspect it for physical defects.
This is last because tranamissions are forged and assembled in very controlled environments and it's unlikely that you have a one-off issue.

It's not about making sideways jabs at you.
It's about isolating the factors that might cause the issue and fixing it.

​​​​​Looks like we posted at the same time.
Reading your description of the hellcat issue, it might be helpful if you print out some evidence of the problem and the eventual fix posted by those hellcat drivers.
Might also help to try talking to reps at a different dealership.

Last edited by wreklus; 10-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
392aramo (10-10-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Mopar Lover

The NAV Screen settings changed... ????
Your set up in Sports mode Correct?
Traction in Sports Mode

Functions are not set to (I forget what it says) Normal Drive? I think it needs to be in Sport's Mode.. Driving and Traction... Give that setting a try and see if it works correctly? with the paddles?

One other question: Has the car ever been back and had a reflash of the PCM? Just wondering if the problem might have started after that ?? Kind of odd that it would just pop up out of no where!~
Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM

The NAV Screen settings changed... ????
Your set up in Sports mode Correct?
Traction in Sports Mode

Functions are not set to (I forget what it says) Normal Drive? I think it needs to be in Sport's Mode.. Driving and Traction... Give that setting a try and see if it works correctly? with the paddles?

One other question: Has the car ever been back and had a reflash of the PCM? Just wondering if the problem might have started after that ?? Kind of odd that it would just pop up out of no where!~
Yes it has two drive mode settings. You can use paddles in regular mode and sport mode (it just makes it shift hard and throttle more sensitive). From the factory sport mode turns on limited traction control but it's customizable in the menu. So i changed my sport to regular traction control with sport. The issue still happens didn't make a difference in regular or sport.

I just got a notification to pick up my car I'll ask if they swapped the paddle + reflashed the control module or just swapped the paddle. No it's never been reflashed before. Hopefully it's not some electrical issue and it was just a bad button.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Keep us posted !!!
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think you said it worked fine with the shifter button? And only the the paddle side you felt acting up? is that correct?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 AM

Keep us posted !!!
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think you said it worked fine with the shifter button? And only the the paddle side you felt acting up? is that correct?
They said they replaced the faulty button. I have not been able to get the + paddle to downshift since I got the car back.

​https://youtu.be/KjckWWMD-iM​​​​​​
Old 10-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Looks like you managed to get it straightened out!
Are you planning any mods??
Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 AM

Looks like you managed to get it straightened out!
Are you planning any mods??
Im enjoying it stock for now.
I was thinking about replacing the mufflers with a high flow one or just only pipe. Then I got ticketed for having "Modified exhaust" on stock exhaust. So I'm reluctant to take the stock ones off now.
Still have to get my stock exhaust ticket sorted out lmao. The dealer had a good laugh with me when I told them that.