New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New To The Mopar Family

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New To The Mopar Family

Hello, I come to you from Nissan-Land. I have spent the last decade becoming intimately familiar with Nissan's B13 platform (NX, Sentra SER, SR20DE, GA16DE, etc.). Of course I have owned other cars throughout the years, but none of them have been Mopar... until now

My daughter is 16 years old and needed her first car. Being car-savvy, it was left to me to find a car for her to spend the money she saved. I jumped on an opportunity to purchase a 92 Plymouth Acclaim V6 with the 3-speed transmission for a meager $275. I figured I could at least get my money back in scrap if it turned out to be a scam.

As it turns out, the car with 264k miles was smooth-running and quiet, and the low price was from the atrocious peeling paint job, the front door hinges being broken, a cracked windshield, and it being behind on maintenance (hard start).

For $300 more and supplies on hand, now at a total of $575, it is starting and running like new, has a new paint job, an updated sound system, and my daughter can't wait to get in the car.

I don't want to overstate this, but it was almost love at first sight with that engine and it's beautiful flat torque curve... 175 torque available at nearly any rpm, and simple mods that can be done for free or very cheap that apparently make a sizable difference (P&P intake manifold, larger TB, exhaust job, etc.). I am also impressed with the build quality of the simplistic interior and other components (but not the style, if I may be allowed to say).

With your help, now I need to become as familiar with this platform/drivetrain as with my Nissans... particular maintenance issues, common problems, mods, etc. I am looking forward to working with this car and the members of this forum.

I must admit, I wish I had bought this car for myself after realizing it's potential, and I intend to buy the car back from her when/if she is ready to move on to a new vehicle. Here are the maintenance and a couple of mods done so far, keeping in mind that it will be given to my daughter as a first car, so nothing too serious at this point...

Maintenance Performed...
-tightened throttle cable
-gapped spark plugs (were gapped too small by PO)
-cleaned TB
-cleaned IACV (or whatever it's called in Mopar-Land)
-repaired fuel sending unit
-replaced fuel pump relay
-patched 4 exhaust leaks
-Seafoamed engine via brake booster hose
-Lucas complete fuel system cleaner in gas
-Lucas Transmission Fix
-replace multiple fuses and bulbs

Future Maintenance...
-new suspension
-replace windshield

Mods Performed...
-CAI with more direct path to TB
-grounded ignition coil and added new/better body ground

Possible Mods...
-larger TB
-P&P IM
-advance timing
-headers
-slightly larger side-exit exhaust with muffler delete
-pulleys
-diamante cams?
-weight reduction
-lighter/wider wheels
-ECU upgrade
-*don't want to go deeper into the engine since I have other cars for more serious projects (92 NX2000, 93 NX1600, 92 Sentra, 81 AMC Eagle SX/4).
Old 11-13-2015, 06:16 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile WELCOME

Welcome - Lots of MOPAR, and other automotive knowledge here -- Enjoy.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Welcome.... Sounds like a good plan so far.... Get what you got in it back out of it first.. Take a good look at the timing components service interval?... Make sure it runs ok and drives ok.... However.... I am sure she would not mind an upgrade to a GT-R. with a little twist on the boost and exhaust..