New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

What does a stall converter do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does a stall converter do?

So I bought a new truck(1978 dodge warlock) it's got a newly rebuilt 360 a rebuilt A727 and rebuilt rear end with 4:11s and also the guy gave me a set of 3:23 gears that I had put in after the truck over heated on the highway going home. Probably should have brought a car trailer. Anyways. The guy said that the engine and transmission had some stuff done/added. Here it is. Engine; mopar purple cam, headers, intake, and polished(so cleaned out and gaskets replaced I'm assuming). Transmission; 3 speed 727 automatic with a shift kit and stall converter. Can anyone tell me what this stuff means. I vaguely know what it means. I am no mechanic whatsoever. But I am intrigued by engines and vehicles and how stuff works so I'd like to learn more. I dont know if when the guy said headers he meant he replaced them or if he upgraded them or what the stock one is or anything. I dont have any specs on the cam either, but i do know I have to take it out to find out and I am not up for that. All I know it makes the truck more rumbly and drink more gas. Also the truck has a new flomaster true dual exhaust system but it points directly at the rear axle. What's up with that. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Wait a minute..... Are you saying your "Clueless" ?????? Never studied what any of this was all about? and Ran out and bought a Hot Rodded Truck? Wow
So where do we start?
Stock
Hot Rod
Custom
Modified
And lot's of terminology >>>>> https://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/...sary-we-think/
https://staceydavid.com/

But to answer the question >>>> https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E&&FORM=VRDGAR

This will help for your reading and understanding also....
http://www.powerblocktv.com/

Last edited by RacerHog; 07-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Google is your friend. As for the purple cam, I believe Chrysler cams have no markings to identify one from another.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Thumbs up

A detailed list from the previous owner would be the most help, I would try to have a conversation with him about the truck and how it was built.
otherwise you'll be playing a guessing game trying to figure out just what is in the truck.
But to give you a general idea of what a "stall converter" is, it's a torque converter that has a higher stall, doesn't move the car than the stock converter.
stock 1900 rpm a high stall converter 2500 to 6000 rpm
I have one that flashes at 5900 behind my 500" 440.
it would be nice to know what you have before you make changes .
Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
I bet that truck was a blast to drive with the 4.11's in it....
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'll give it a go.

#1- High stall torque converter. When you take your foot off the brake a stock vehicle will start moving forward and with a little gas away you go nice and smooth until at a low rpm it "locks up" like a clutch when you take your foot off the clutch pedal. If you have a tach, hold the brake and give it 3/4 to full throttle the rpm will only go up to the "stall" of the converter. All this happens at a higher rpm with a High Stall converter giving the vehicle a punch off the line getting the engine up into an rpm where it starts making power and doesn't bog with a stock torque converter.

#2- Polished Intake. Maybe smoothed inside to help flow and match the manifold to head ports, or just shiny on the outside for appearance which you could see easily.

#3- Headers, changed or upgraded? Just round tube exhaust tubing off the heads, not bulky cast iron, easy to see.

#4- Exhaust stopped at rear axle.- Just a cheap way the finish exhaust pipes, I would turn them out in front of the the rear tires or get tail pipes to go over the axle and exit at the raer bumper.

#5- Purple Shaft Camshaft.- High performance Chrysler Corporation camshaft made in many levels of performance. Specifications can be measured with it installed in the engine but not easy.

The way you have described the truck with intake exhaust improvements, camshaft upgrade, higher stall converter and the 4.10 gears, it sounds like the seller made a well thought out package to make this a tire burning beast. I would have loved to put a set of slicks on it with the 4.10 gear and taken down the drag strip.

Without knowing what camshaft you have, changing to the 3.23 gear may hurt the overall driveability due to being over cammed now.

Time to get some literature "fill your library before your tool box" oh yes and some tools. Compression gauge, timing light, vacuum gauge, maybe even a dial indicator and degree wheel to see what camshaft you have.

Good luck and we're hear for questions and support.