Keeping it real ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Keeping it real ?

I dunno how to say this, so I guess, I am just gonna say it, and hope that anybody reading this remains cognizant ? of the respectful manner in which it is intended by me ?

Especially in the Engine Section, or in posts relative to when people are asking for "reccomendations" on things ?
I wish people would make "reccomendations" based upon personal knowledge ? things THEY have tried, things THEY have used, things THEY personally have WITNESSED or seen, what has worked for THEM and under WHAT conditions.
For example;
Why would someone/anyone say "These" Camshafts are better, as a blanket statement ?
instead of,
"THIS" Camshaft, worked really well for me, in THIS application of parts ?

The former tends to be a subjective "analysis" written in stone based upon what ? ARROGANCE ?, with NO PROOF, NO HARD DATA, NO DYNO SHEET, based strictly upon "speculation" ?
whereas,
at the very least, the latter gives an "opinion" based upon "something" tangible ?

Apologies for the rant, just like it to stay "real" relative to actual personal experience ?

I run an Engine DYNO regularily, a Superflow 902, and I've seen it all, suffice to say, IMO, NOTHING can be written in stone, especially with Camshafts.
IMO, All Manufacturers have good & bad, a good "fit" for one COMBO, may be a complete "Dud" in another ? But by no means is anybody's Camshafts across the board BETTER than everybody elses ?
The following 2 users liked this post by Moparbob:
Gorts 5th (03-20-2013), Mr.4spd (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Exclamation

All my input has been from experiences
and also as i'm learning and i post what i learn and read others opinions on the matter i never think dishonorable of some one on the forum i always accepted all posts it in that manner.

i have run chubby and mopar... never furd i choose mopar i understand the differences between the two.. from experience.
With that said i feel building a mopar like a chevy is not correct. it work's ?
maybe... like you said some combo's work others don't.
But there are significant engineering differences and theories between the big three v-8 blocks and i don't see the gains installing chubby or furd geometry into a mopar L.A.-B RB Block! mopar produces it's power Within it's geometry and competed very well in the muscle car day's. So with that said build em like mopars not furd's or chubbies.
of-course my motor of choice to this day... and experience is a 318 and that's where my talk comes from and that's all i talk about...my experiences
But as always that's my opinion AND i"m always open to other's .
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Thank you Bob, someone needed to say this. You've earned much respect with this Mopar fan.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
You know my favorite quote? From Mr. Jerry Clower, "It is obvious to me that you have been educated beyond your intelligence." Seen lots of that on this forum... I'm no genius by any stretch but in 31 years of fooling around with Mopars- and no I never strayed even once to a GM or Ford- I like to think I may have learned a thing or two along the way...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I know what you mean, it's hard for new guys to wade through all the experts on any of the Mopar forums. The thing that keeps me going is knowing I've helped a novice not to make the same mistakes I did. With the internet it's easy for some to become instant experts with little or no experience and want to share their new found knowledge.
Keep sharing your obvious knowledge and don't get frustrated, I think it's worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coronet 500:
74Runneer (03-20-2013), Gorts 5th (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Mopar Lover

One truth to take away from this post is all have there preference and pride in there cam selections and brands ie. from experiences and knowledge .
We should all be under the assumption that there is a disclaimer on all advice.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks Bob well said... Ive read quotes from people about all kinds of stuff here a person will ask i simple question like what cam should I use for trailer towing and street use I would like it to have a smooth idle and good vaccuum. Then you read the replys and you got people saying you should use a 507 lift cam with a 284 duration center line of 110*. And then someone will come up with 10 different other cams to use, all being rough/choppy idle & no vaccuum cams with rpm ranges from 3500-4000 rpm starting power. Now the guy is so confused, he is worse off then when he started and asked for the advice. Glad you spoke up Bob very well said...

Last edited by pro-tech; 03-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank for posting this!

I am a NOOB in the engine department and I ask alot questions regarding my situations. So to hear this post from the more experienced people on the forum is kind of refreshing, knowing hopefully I will get better info from personal experience!

Thanks Bob
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, this goes beyond camshaft advise too. I see an awfull lot of OPINIONS worded as experience on a lot of topics here. It would be more helpful to post actual personal experience than a misguided understanding of something you read 10 years ago in a Hot Rod magazine.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Personally I can make my way through the opinions, sometimes they can be humorous. The one thing that troubles me is the clash of differing opinions that spiral off and lose touch with the Original Posters question.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Personally I can make my way through the opinions, sometimes they can be humorous. The one thing that troubles me is the clash of differing opinions that spiral off and lose touch with the Original Posters question.
I find most of the posts humorous.

I find it interesting how many of the posts here go from fixing a small problem on the car to rebuilding the engine with expensive and completely unnecessary parts for a car that wont see more than a few miles a year and never see a drag strip.

Like most people I do not have a dyno either engine or chassis, Nor do I have easy access to one( I think there is one of each in the whole province).

I did the whole headers, aluminum intakes, wheels, tires, cams, spending hours and hours filing and grinding on engine parts for the perfect balance.
All it really did was make the car undriveable.

I stick with stock components mostly because I get a kick out of peoples reactions. I like to drive cars. It's very satisfying to leave modified cars behind you stop and then open the hood to see people's jaws drop to the pavement when they realize the car is completely stock.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Yea... i have learned quite a bit since i have been on this forum. not many active but the hand full of members has allot of knowledge.
Some have the proverbial dream shop and all the accompanying toy's other are service technicians... and the rest have the American driveway and cardboard.
Some have more money than they know what to do with to throw at the project, and others have a limited .
We all love to do these projects and work on our own rides.
i knew when i joined up that i would gained allot of info and i was also aware that i may learn some thing that i was misinformed about or needed refreshing on... that's why i joined.
The projects that i have accomplished before where with friends of like interest helping but my last projects where benefited by the forum members.
Finding out about your knowledge or technique being in-correct or un-useful after posting it can be intimidating... but i have learned that correction or coaching is important." no doubt we all know this."
After all the other active members chime in i add and rethink on what is shared.
So every one who has shared with me THANK YOU THANK YOU
Tacos on me...
Attached Thumbnails Keeping it real ?-p1020346.jpg   Keeping it real ?-p1020348.jpg  

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 03-22-2013 at 05:22 AM.