1993 Chrysler Lebaron Squaling Belt and Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Chrysler Lebaron Squaling Belt and Tensioner Replacement

Hey All,

I did a tune up on my Lebaron yesterday. The belt was all glazed and I had noted before starting it was not installed properly as one of the ribs on the serp belt was hanging off the power steering pulley. When I got finished everything was running awesome. I took my daughter for a ride to the hardware store and my local mechanic to return some tools, maybe 30 minutes of around the city driving. Later that night I started the car and the belt was squealing continuously. It did not go away while driving. I opened the hood and found the new Serp belt was walking off the tensioner pulley. The belt was all misaligned again. See the attached picture "belt shot". I had spun every pulley and did not hear any bad bearing noise or feel any resistance. So I replaced the tensioner today. See the note on that below. I used this link, though it is not the product that was installed or is now installed on the car, to diagnose the issue thus far. http://www.goodyearep.com/uploadedFiles/Product_Categories/Aftermarket_Parts_-_Automotive/Products/Tensioners/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf\

Everything is now in line and the constant squeal is gone, but it is still squealing at higher RPMs. The AC belt tension is at 1/4" deflection per the repair manual, so I am thinking another pulley needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on how to find out which one?

Here are my notes on how I replaced the tensioner pulley since there are no details in the manual. I removed tension on the Serp. belt by loosing the alternator and lettering it lower. I removed the air filter housing and hoses. I accessed the single nut holding on the tensioner from the driver's side, just behind the #1 spark plug boot using a 15mm socket, with u joint adapter and 10"extensions. Be careful not to drop and nuts or bolts. When reinstalling the new tensioner, I held it in place on the passenger side and threaded the nut on with my fingers as tight as possible before going to the driver's side and tightening everything in reverse of the removal. I then reseated the alternator and used a serp belt tool to relive tension with the tensioner and reinstall the belt.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Chrysler Lebaron Squaling Belt and Tensioner Replacement-belt-shot.jpg   1993 Chrysler Lebaron Squaling Belt and Tensioner Replacement-engine-drawing.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Did you replace the BELT ???? OEM belts are always best
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
mopar discontined
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Lynn thank you for the response. I did replace the belt. I checked to make sure it matched size and width before installing it. I did check the routing as well. My dealer did not have a new tensioner, so I found it at one of the autoparts stores in my area, but it also appeared to match up perfectly. I can only think that either the pulleys are not lined up or I need to repalce another one. I will replace the idler pulley next.
Woudl I need to replace the power steering pump in order to replace that pulley?