Does anyone run a 440 with a Six-pac?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone run a 440 with a Six-pac?

I'm a recent "new guy" and in my intro post I mentioned that I had a 69 RR with a fuel injected 440. I'm contemplating going to a Six-pac if possible and just wanted to know if anyone is running this set up on a street car and if so, what do you like/dislike about it, what types of problems have you had, what types of carbs do you run and that are available. I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a Demon Carbs set up on possibly an Edelbrock manifold. Interested in any comments....thx
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
What type of fuel injection is currently on it ? The only reason to go with a 6 pack would be for the visual appeal
The following users liked this post:
BuckNeccid (08-30-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM

As I stated in my new guy intro, I agree that FI is definately a better technology. Therefore you are correct in your statement that I like the visual impact. I also stated in one of my follow up replies that the whole progamming, software version, equipment support and compatibility issues really frustrates me and I prefer to go back to the old school design. If the car were going to be a daily driver that would be one thing, but as a weekend cruize machine I like the mechanical look over the modern reliability and technology. Just my opinion. BTW the FI is a FAST system...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
59 -

Guys do it, but have to agree with TV. Most of the guys around here with it are trying to do a full resto (inc #'s matching) or want the visual wow factor. The guys looking for drivability and ease of use, usually replace the 3x2V with a 4V. (That I what I did, 30+ years ago.)

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly do-able and does look cool...

Archer
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Not having experience with a six-pac set up, what are the issues people have that cause them to switch to a 4 barrel? Is it balancing the flow from carb to carb, or setting up the linkages to progressively kick in the next carb, something else? I was 10 years old in 69, so obviously wasn't driving when this technology was being used, but I did have friends and people I hung out with that had this type of set up and I don't remember any particular type of complaints. I know from reading my car mags over the years that adjusting the flow and getting them even on the holley carbs was a pain, but I figured that with some of the more modern designs that those issues had been weeded out.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
59 -

First off, 1100 cfm (+/-) is a little steep for a stock/mild 440.
There are two types of 3x2s. The more common is with vacuum secondaries, and as long as the vacs are synchronized, you should be OK. If not, you'll be getting an uneven A/F dump, front to rear. Basically, for optimal performance the two outboard 2v have to be pretty much in synch.

The other type is with mechanical secondaries. Same issues, but now the linkage becomes another problem.

Again, it's not terrible, and some folks love them, just more work than a single 4V.

Archer
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've run them several times and I like them. Stock is a simple setup... the car runs on the center carb which is what you have to adjust. The two outer carbs do not have an idle circuit, they don't enter into the equation until you start dumping them. Just make sure the two springs in the vacuum pots are the same, that the two outer carbs are the same carbs (not one from a 340 and one from a 440), and that the linkage tying the two carbs together are adjusted as they are supposed to be. There are a lot of myths about six pacs that as far as I can tell came from back in the day when people would try to belittle them by saying you couldn't keep them synchronized or some such, and it spread from there. If I was careful, running a 3.23 gearin my 70 GTX, I could get between 17 and 20 mpg out of it. I'm trying to get the bucks together now for another, but I'm also seriously considering trying one of the new FASTS FI that's all plug and play. I got my car running with a Holley 4DI, but when i saw page after page of required tuning, it came off and I went back to a 4bbl until I could find the 3x2 or afford a new efi
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM

I'm running six bbls and I love it. Stock intake, repro Holley carbs and linkage setup. I do a lot of my own work, but in the case of this motor everything was set up by the engine shop that did the rebuild. I have zero problems with it, it runs just like an original setup on a new car might have. There is the visual appeal, and there is also the physical, gut wrenching feeling and sound of the carbs opening up. It's unbelievable, I wouldn't have it any other way. Fuel injection is great for new cars. A new car experience is not what I'm aiming for when I drive old cars. JMO
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Now that's what I wanted to hear, a couple of really positive posts in support of the six-pacs....
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
I have set up 25 or more 6 pack systems , they do work well & I prefer the mechanical race carbs over the vacuum systems ,but I know there is a company with 3 throttle bodys that look like the 6 pack but are just T bodys for EFI , this would be my approach , keep the EFI & use the 6 pack t bodys , best of both worlds