Bush to Run Pro Stock in Gainesville

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Bush to Run Pro Stock in Gainesville

NASCAR’s Busch to make NHRA Pro debut at Gatornationals
Monday, January 24, 2011

Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Dodge Charger in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, will make his NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series debut at the 42nd annual Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals, March 10-13, at historic Gainesville Raceway.
The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion will be competing for one of the 16 qualifying spots in the ultracompetitive Pro Stock class in the Shell Dodge Avenger for Allen Johnson and J&J Racing.
“Pro Stock is the tightest Pro category as far as the elapsed time is concerned, and it’s not going to be an easy task," Busch said. “I feel me teaming up with Allen Johnson and the Mopar folks, we’ve given ourselves the best opportunity to make the show.”
Busch spent a good part of his busy off-season testing with Johnson, and he earned his NHRA Pro Stock license with an impressive best of 6.576, 210.43 in Bradenton, Fla.
As a matter of reference (given that conditions are not identical), Mike Edwards qualified No. 1 at the 2010 Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals with a 6.537, 211.53, and Rickie Jones was on the bump with a 6.601, 209.10. Busch’s 6.576 would have qualified him 11th.
When Busch arrives in Gainesville for the 42nd running of the Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals, he will have four qualifying passes – two Friday and two Saturday – to make the 16-car field for Sunday’s race.

Pro Stock cars are similar in appearance to their showroom counterparts but feature extensive engine modifications, sophisticated chassis and suspension, with a maximum 500-cubic-inch engine displacement. On average, a Pro Stock car will cover the quarter-mile in six and a half seconds at more than 200 mph.

“It’s a whole different world than NASCAR. The toughest part is staging the car and, of course, cutting a good light; the thrill of the launch and the speed at the top end is why I’m so fascinated with drag racing. But I do know that heading to the Gatornationals and running with the pros, I will get a full dose of humble pie.”
At the 2010 Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals, Busch competed in Super Gas, which is part of the NHRA Lucas Oil Series, in a rebuilt '70 Dodge Charger. Weather plagued the event, which limited his time on the track and contributed to his first-round loss.
“The 2010 event was an experience of a lifetime; the camaraderie with the Sportsman guys was a truly fun experience,” Busch said. “Although it was tough to watch it rain for four days, the grassroots effort of the Sportsman guys is what makes the true heart of NHRA racing.”
Busch, a native of Las Vegas, was introduced to drag racing in the early 1990s when he met two Las Vegas-based NHRA racers – George Marnell, a Pro Stock racer, and Dave Bush, a Super Comp competitor. He also became friends with three-time NHRA Top Fuel world champion Larry Dixon when both were sponsored by the same company.
The Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals has long been a must-see destination event for race fans across the world as they make the pilgrimage to the track in north-central Florida, where fans are always treated to tremendous racing. For tickets for the 42nd annual Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals, log on to www.NHRAtix.com or call 800-884-NHRA (6472).

Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
well I for one hope he does Great in pro stock GO KURT