Testing the New Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Testing the New Avenger

After the PRI show in Orlando last week the J & J racing team loaded up the new Avenger Pro Stock car and headed to West Palm Beach International Raceway for the initial test of the new Avenger... Reports are that the first pass was this am and it was a 1/2 pass... Allen wanted to check the chutes and brakes before he "let the dog out!!!" Reports are that the 60' time was .995 seconds.... Any 60 ' under 1.00 is considered a good run...
The Avenger should strut its stuff on the big end where the aero package will work its magic... that is what I want to see and hear about.....

But will just have to wait and see....
Old 12-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Mack,

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol.

Sounds like it will be one fun car.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by 78D200
Mack,

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol.

Sounds like it will be one fun car.

I understand that part but I'm in Tennessee this week and can't be there... But Let you in on a secret...... I'm having lunch with his Dad tomorrow.... Bet I can get the low down then... May not be able to share it but I will know!!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Mopar Lover

Here You Go!!!!!

JOHNSON DROPS THE CLUTCH ON NEW AVENGER Written by Bobby Bennett Monday, 14 December 2009 12:45
The mystery of the Pro Stock Dodge Avenger was revealed on Monday morning during a test session at Palm Beach International Raceway located outside of West Palm Beach, Fla.
Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson made history as he put the brand new to drag racing 2010 Dodge Avenger through its initial runs.
"It was very smooth on that first run," said Johnson. "We wanted to make sure the parachute and brakes worked, so I let up about half-track. We
were very conservative. It was at .995 seconds around the 60-foot mark.It was real smooth."

Johnson and his J&J Racing crew plan to test the HEMI-powered Mopar Dodge Avenger through Wednesday, Dec. 16, at PBIR in preparation for the
car's race debut at the 50th Annual Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationalsin Pomona, Calif., Feb. 11-14, 2010.

"We're going to get after it during the test runs in the afternoon.We'll run it as much as we can, maybe about five or six passes. I'm encouraged by the first run and excited to see what we can do with it when we go all out."
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its funny your having or had lunch with him my dad is good friends with allen and his father roy. My dad worked for kalitta and billy meyer back in the day
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Mopar Fanatic

so he know a bunch of those guys and i have met them i see them every year when they come in to chicago
Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Mopar Lover

Yep, the racing "family" is much smaller than most people realize. I met Roy back in the late '60's or early '70's when he would Match Race a team from my home town at Elk Creek Dragway in the mountains of SW Virginia...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Mopar Fanatic

everyone knows everyone
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that new avenger is sick!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
It looks mean.

Mack,
You have any pics of the motor setup in that monster?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by 78D200
It looks mean.

Mack,
You have any pics of the motor setup in that monster?
No I don't, It was at the PRI show but had the hood on it all the time... But sooner or later I'll get some... The PS "Boys" are very careful who sees what under the hood... You won't see many pictures of under the hood especially the intakes and carbs... Mack
Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Mopar Lover

I understand that testing at Moroso was rained out today and some of the PS teams moved to Bradenton Raceway... No reports on times or speeds.....
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Johnson Feeling
'Real Comfortable' After
First Test Sessions in
Mopar® Dodge Avenger
Allen Johnson successfully began a new chapter in Team Mopar®'s long and storied history in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series last week. The veteran drag racer blazed a new trail as he broke the seal on his new 2010 NHRA Pro Stock Mopar Dodge Avenger.
Johnson inaugurated his Mopar Dodge Avenger during test sessions last week at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) and Bradenton Motorsports Park in Florida. The seven-time NHRA event winner went easy on the Avenger in the initial test runs at PBIR on Monday, Dec. 14. Johnson put the car through a number of shakedown runs before recording one full-out run in his new Pro Stock ride, posting a solid 6.64-second pass in the Avenger on Monday afternoon.
Rain came to PBIR on Tuesday, forcing Johnson and his J&J Racing squad to scramble across the state to continue with testing on Wednesday and Thursday at Bradenton. Johnson, in his words, "got after" the Mopar Dodge Avenger at Bradenton, making ten runs in two days. The Greeneville, Tenn., native was pleased with the results after making two 6.58-second passes on Wednesday and Thursday in his new Avenger, both with speeds clocked at over 210 miles per hour.
"I'm getting real comfortable in the Mopar Dodge Avenger," said Johnson. "I think the Avenger is going to be a really good race car, and take us right up there to the top. I know the team, crew chief Mark Ingersoll, my dad Roy, we're all very encouraged by this first outing. We still have some kinks to iron out. We're about two-hundredths-of-a-second slower than we should be, and all of that's down low, in the 60-foot range. We'll keep working on it and free it up."
Johnson and his J&J Racing crew plan additional test sessions at Bradenton and at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway before the Mopar Dodge Avenger makes its competition debut at the 50th Annual Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, Calif., Feb. 11–14, 2010. For more information on the NHRA, visit http://www.nhra.com.

Team Mopar NHRA Full Throttle Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson (below) inaugurated his Mopar Dodge Avenger (above) during test sessions last week at Palm Beach International Raceway and Bradenton Motorsports Park in Florida. Johnson's best runs were two 6.58-second passes, both with speeds clocked at over 210 miles per hour.