440 build up: oil slinger and windage tray Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 build up: oil slinger and windage tray Q's

Good afternoon. I've got my engine back from the shop and am in the process of putting it together. This is a 440 for my 76 Chrysler NY, so it's pretty much stock. The engine came out of a 78 dodge truck and I noticed during the tear down that it didn't have an oil slinger on it. I can't really tell if it came from the factory this way or if the owner of the truck didn't put it back on when he replaced the timing set.

What I'd like to know is what roll does the oil slinger play and should I be putting one in there?

On the same build, I'm wondering if I need a windage tray with the shallower oil pan. Again, the truck oil pan had a rear deep sump pan and didn't have the windage tray in it. I'm using a 933 pan and from all the pics and references I've seen, it has the baffles welded into it so that leads me to believe I won't need the windage tray. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

The Baffle does not serve the same purpose as a windage tray. Baffles try to keep the oil from moving side to side when cornering or hard accelleration or braking. The windage tray helps keep the oil from dragging on the crank and from wipping up the oil. I would put a windage tray on it if it is to see any hard use. If you have a oil slinger use it. I'm not sure of the advantages or disadvantages of one. There are 3 different 440 rotating assemblies. A small rod steel crank, a large rod steel crank and a cast crank. You need to use the proper balancer and torque converter to match what you have. A steel crank will ring like a bell if you tap one of the weights with something metal, a cast crank will just go clink ! Do this test before bolting in the block. You can also ID by the shape of the balancer, But you need to know what your looking at.

Last edited by MercuryDon; 02-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The oil slinger keeps oil away from the seal in the timing cover.I seen plenty of engines without them not leak oil,the choice is yours, but I would get one.

If you go with the windage tray,open up the slots a little to allow the oil to drain better,they always seem to come closed up a little.

just my .02 worth! Take some pics!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Mopar Fan

Thanks folks. I've also consulted with my speed shop. They suggested that the oil slinger isn't a must have, but that the windage tray would be a good fit. We're going to talk some more on it. I've seen them from Mopar Performance and 440 source.com. Probably leaning towards 440 source unless the shop can recommend otherwise. Another two weeks and the beast will be back in the garage