65 Fury III cuts of when push on gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 Fury III cuts of when push on gas

65 Fury III
I don’t know what to do. Were to start to check on the car for some reason or another she take a long tome to heat up and when she dose as I try to move her. She dies on me .there is a full tank of gas and I thought it was the transmission. The color on the trans is red and it has level fluid. I don’t know but I don’t think that will make it cut out on me. ( can it ?) as I lay my foot on the gas .it also has a new battery . I’m about to do a tone up on her. but I want to also fix or see were to check about this issue . thank you all for helping
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Do the tune up now to eliminate wearable parts causing your issues. Cap, Rotor, plugs (plug gap), wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc...

Make sue fluids are good and NOT over filled.

Check all your vacuum hose and gaskets where engine vacuum could escape.

Make sure your carb is clean. Throttle blades / butterflys need to sit freely and the linkage, return spring, accelerator pump etc..should all function without sticking.

Check your timing and pull the specs for your coil and make sure primary and secondary voltage are within spec..

If you are new to turning the wrench I recommend getting a vacuum gauge, timing gun, volt meter that can do DC and Ohms, inline spark tester and plug gapper.

There are many things that can cause an off idle stumble or stall.

As for not heating up:

Are you not getting the gauge to move or is the block and fluid staying cool?

A non functioning ( stuck open) T stat can cause over cooling especially this time of year. If is is not coming "off" choke you could have fouled a set of plugs due to the extra fuel..

Pull a plug and post a pick..
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Great stuff there from PK1. The off idle stumble points to the accelerator pump, heat issue probably t'stat.
My tip is when I have a problem I'll change one part at a time then see if it corrects the problem. Too many times a wholesale change of parts won't give an answer as to what was wrong. Have a look at the plug colour first, so much can be learned there and point you in the right direction.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
You have two posts going.. When you step on the gas does the engine Rev ? and not go anywhere or just die ???
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Cheap tools when checking out gremlins. A test light for voltage and a vacuum guage for carb, fuel and vacuum problems. I even know people that set their timing with a vacuum guage.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
My thoughts are that it's something simple like his points are toast or, just need to be adjusted.
I may be wrong but, I had a similar issue and once I looked.... I wondered how it even started! lol
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Wow I have homework to do now lol .thank you.
know I have a place to start this is really good info. that is one of the reasons I come here over and over to learn.
TV Lynn. The engine will come on .but when I push on the gas it will cut off most of the time. Other time it will move slowly or it will rack back and forth. So If I want it to go ahead I have to give it more gas and that’s when it dies on me again and by that time it will only ‘click’ to were the motor will not torn until maybe 30 min later
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverick
My thoughts are that it's something simple like his points are toast or, just need to be adjusted.
I may be wrong but, I had a similar issue and once I looked.... I wondered how it even started! lol
I second this. Has the car been sitting for awhile? My guess is more than one problem and a lot to do with corrosion in the wiring conections. It certainly sounds like bad points, but also not wanting to start again for 1/2 an hour, makes me think poor cable or cable conections at the battery, starter, or soleniod. Something is getting hot. Too mich resistance.

kingsrex, any updates yet? How's it going.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM

65 fury

Well thank you all for you help but I have decided to go .a deferent way at this. as I look at the car I did not lick the rust under the hood or the side panels so I have started to teardown the car and what I wanna do next. Is I plant to send down the panels the fire wall do and rebuilt the transmission and motor so I have never done this before .and I have been looking for and engine kit . to do this I don’t know if this is gona be a lot for me but im willing to try . what do you guys think
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I would figure out the problem before going further. After all the work it still may have a problem and you could become frustrated. Fix it one thing at a time.