74 Plymouth Duster ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi plymth
here is a way you can bypass it on your relay where your pos bat cable goes there will be other wires going there aswell you should see a brown one if you follow it that will lead you down to the trans nuetral saftey switch if you splice this wire and ground it your car should start off by the ignition key
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 PM

ply
on your driver side of the trans you should see this shifter linkage shaft mount (if a non shifter on the floor) then lower down by the pan youll see a fluid line next youl see acouple of levers with rods attached to them this is your linkage next another fluid line then you should see a plug that has 3 wires this is your neutral saftey switch this should be close to your trans crossmember this is the one u want, if u see a 3/8 round black one near the end of the trans (on tailstock) this is your speedometer cable this is held on to the trans by a bolt i hope this helps
Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM

hi Ply
your gonna want to follow those wires up to the engine compartment there should be a brown one in the mix going to your starter relay its the little box that has wires going to it one from the pos side of the batt is going to it down below it there should be a brown one that one goes to your neutral saftey switch but check 1st!!! if you ground this wire it will override the switch and your car should start by the key be aware that your car will now start in any gear though also before you add this wire try wiring it in loose 1st too see if this is your problem take some wire and clean one end and wrap it to the terminal that the neutral saftey switch wire goes too use the terminal to hold it in place then ground it to a fender bolt ,..... test if it works splice wire into the n.s.s wire and ground it some other place
hope this helps
goodluck Terry
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Mopar Fan

Manual---

I'm having the same issue on a 74 duster i picked up a week ago. i have wire chewed up, taped, broken , you name it! I rewired the obvious an can turn the motor over with a screwdriver jump, but I can't find a digital copy of a manual for this car to save my Life. I want one I can download now, preferably in PDF format......you guys have any ideas who sales these?..........None of my local part stores have them in stock. I thin Ive figured out this issue, but I have many more coming my way and a manual is going to make this so much easier, and direction would be Greatly Appreciated!!!!

Quick Reply: 74 Plymouth Duster ignition problem