Ecm Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecm Issue?

I'm having a problem with my 2011 Dodge charger r/t and I'm hoping I can get some advise.Last summer I was attempting to remove a nut and bolt on my old stabilizer bar. A not to bright person attempted to grind the nut off and sparks were shooting up right below the ECM. I wasn't there at the time but was told someone saw a small amount of smoke rise from the open trunk and there pretty sure it came from the battery rear fusebox area.The problem is that the battery is now getting drained. When I do connect the battery the car has power but will not start. The reason it will not start is because the starter fuse continues to blow even after being replaced 3 times. After I noticed another 3 fuses ( raidio volume,moonroof) constantly blowing i stopped counting.

Had it towed to the mechanic and I get the feeling he's in over his head (small local mechanic). He contacted me a few days later and told me 16 to 18 volts were commung out of the alternator and suggested this had something to do with the ECM since that's what regulates the voltage to the alternator. Mechanic said I would have to bring it to a Dodge dealer and since they are going to hammer me he was only charging an hours labor.when I asked if that meant the ECM was bad I was told "its a possibility". I'm not sure why he didn't run any codes to see if it was in fact a ECM problem. If pulling a code wasn't possible then doesn't that mean it is a ECM problem?. Before I invest in a pre programed ECM any advice on maybe how to know if it's truly a ECM problem?
Old 08-14-2022, 05:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
I would get an estimate from the dealer.... Sounds like this thing has a dead short in it someplace.... WiTech System is what is going to be needed to test the operation systems your Chrysler... May be cheaper in the long run... But like I said... But start off with an Estimate and if you can afford that and are ok with what you hear money wise... Have them check it out for what you might need.
I would hope it is just the alternator and that fixes it .... Good Luck... Keep us posted...
Old 08-15-2022, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called the mechanic today and was told I am only being charged $100.00 for and hours’ work because the dealer is going to hammer me.. They told me they really don’t have time for an electrical problem like this especially with all the aftermarket parts...i asked what aftermarket parts? Oh so you didn’t put all the aftermarket parts? When i told them no i asked what aftermarket parts? They responded like the headlights. I have tint wrap on the headlights but i don’t know what they’re talking about. I did tell them some smoke was seen coming from the rear fuse box when the car started acting up and was told one of the mechanics thinks the rear fuse box is fried.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
You just need a good electrical guy or a good dude at the dealer that knows how to find the issue.... Sounds like the guy you took it to is just being HONEST with you, And knows his limitations.
You are going to have to find someone that knows Chrysler Products... The repair could be easy or difficult?
But I would not just throw a ECM at it as a guess.
Keep us posted....