fuel tank seal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel tank seal?

I have a 70' Plymouth fury, noticed a gas leak the other day when my car was on an incline down hill and got up under to find 2 problems, rubber hose fitting over 2 pieces of gas line was rotted through and leaking a slow drip and the hole where the main gas line enters the tank was pouring out gas whenever tank was more than 2/3 full or on an incline downhill. I'm told there is some kind of gasket or seal that fits on the line and fills the hole in the tank to keep gas in but i don't know the technical name for it.

I called napa and carquest they had no idea what i was talking about and autozone knew what i was talking about but said they dont sell them individually but as a package with a new gas tank. cant find the seal on summit or mancini racing websites but i dont know the real name to look it up very well. my fuel gauge also always reads empty and never moves so i may have to find a new gas tank anyway but some advice here would be appreciated especially if you know the name and a place that sells them.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Mopar Fan

jimsautoparts.com is where I end up finding hard to find parts. I know what part you speak of, don't know what it's called, but i bought one from them couple of years ago. Their site is really easy to navigate through so i'm sure you'll find it. As for the gauge there could be a wiring issue, or float attached to sending unit being disconnected somehow. hope this helps
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Mopar Fan

That website has a wealth of parts at good prices so i thank you for the link I fully intend to go through their products however I cannot find the part from description alone on their website nothing sounds right, the pictures don't help since the seal isn't on my car and I don't know exactly what it looks like so I really still need the technical name if anyone knows it.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Mopar Fan

I looked at the website it's called a GAS TANK FILLER TUBE GROMMET, but i noticed that they don't have any c-body grommets available. There are new gas tanks that come with the grommet for c-body's, but if your tank is still good than that'll be a waste of money. You could give them a call 603-898-0535 and see if there is another option to buying a completely new setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Mopar Fan

Isn't that for the large tube where you fill the gas tank though? i need a seal to go around the 1/4" line where it goes into the hole in the tank heading toward the front of the car and feeding the engine
Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Mopar Fan

oh then you need the sending unit seal. they also have those, check under gas tank sending units and components. I think the seal you need a "round flat rubber seal" that's how it's labeled on the website.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:36 PM

the bf's 69 has had a really bad gas leak when the tank is filled...he replaced the o-ring, but has to seal it with some 'heavy copper RTV stuff' (he's still waking up). we have three a-bodies, his dart is the only one with a working gas gauge, sending units out on the other two. we just fill 'em and keep track of our miles.

don't know if that helps, but it's about the extent of my knowledge on the full tank gas leak issue.