Headers and some engine dress-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers and some engine dress-up

Becoming more active with my car, People hate on how it looks on the outside, but to me, The inside is what counts.

So far what I've accomplished (Taking a few days off, have tonsillitis :\)

Before:

After:

Intake before:

Intake After:

Valve cover after:

Quick question, seeing the headers now, should I just buy some new ones? Or is there a way I can bring these back to life? Whatelse should I do, I can't get the block out yet, but when I do I'm going for the same color as my intake manifold. The "Moroso" lettering is going to be polished silver.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Steve -

Excuse my old eyes, but those look like stock exhaust manifolds, not headers.

Suggestions: Decide if you want headers or not. They will increase HP and give a different sound, but will also cause clearance problems. So, if you don't need them ...

Looking at your engine bay, the first thing it needs is a really good clean up and re-organizing/routing of the wires, etc. That's not hard to do and will make a world of difference. After you decide on the "end-purpose" of the car, (IMHO) get rid on anything under the hood you don't really need.

While your doing that, some careful masking and you should be able to a convincing paint job on the block, radiator and the bay itself. It may not be perfect, but from a casual glance, a lot of folks might not be able to tell.

Glad you're getting back into it.

Archer.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Archer, your old eyes are right! They are the stock exhaust manifolds.

I'm a little bit dreary; My meds kick in and get me completely all "dfgahbj".

I do need to do a little cleanup, (Possibly today if I'm feeling better?) But what to take out and remount... What would you suggest I do with all the wiring? I've wanted to straighten it all out but I can never seem to find what I want to do, maybe an outsider opinion will push me?

Edit to OP: Would there be a possibility in cleaning off those manifolds? They look a bit.. well yeah you'll get the picture when I re-assemble it all.

Last edited by RROriginals; 05-28-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
You can clean them up with media blasting or just an old fashion wire wheel and brush (takes some elbow grease but it works) them use some hi-temp manifold paint to make them look like new.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks 340, I would go with media blasting, but I enjoy the effort of actually working for something, My intake and valve covers were all sanded, cleaned and sanded again by hand. I'd rather take the extra effort and know I've done it instead of saying, "Yeah, I just threw some sand in the blaster and went to work."

There's also a product at Autozone that claims to get rid of rust. Possibly I could use that + A wire wheel and brush to try to smoothen these out as much as possible? I'm thinking about going for a black finish on them.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Steve -

This is just the way I'd go about it,so take it with a grain of salt.

Wire brush any loose paint FROM EVERYTHING. Including the radiator tanks fender bay walls, fire walls etc.

Start masking and painting. The spray cans are fine, just use a good engine paint. (I've been using the VHT stuff, but others are just as good).

Replacing old/rusted bolts and washers add a nice and cheap touch.

All loose wires (not the plug wires) need to be loomed or tied neatly. Think about getting some of that wire hose (Mr, Gastet used to sell it, guess they still do) and route all that stuff neatly.

Think about new plug wires in an appropriate color. You don't have to go expensive. The ones from Accel or some of the Ebay stuff is fine or a street driven car/daily driver.

Be creative and keep it neat and clean.

Oh yeah, have fun with it!

Archer
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Might as well take the radiator out and paint it while you're at it....good opportunity to change the coolant anyway.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Mopar Fanatic

@ Archer; Thanks man! I'll get on it. Only thing I got to do today was paint the other valve cover :\ My meds took a toll on me. I've been using VHT, right now it's the only paint I'd trust since it hasn't given me any serious issues, I'll look into those wires and looming it all neatly.

@ Samuel, I was definitely going to! I'm pulling off anything I can get my hands on to make it shine or stand out, hell even my carb linkage was painted, crazy right?

Last edited by RROriginals; 05-28-2011 at 01:29 PM.