Heat and headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Heat and headers

Gents -

Nest question, somewhat related to a previous thread on occasional rough engine (always on the way home ...)

The engine, mild 440 fitted with 1980's vintage HOOKER headers (1 7/8" primaries, IIRC) is now running fairly cool.

Did a spark plug change yesterday and found the 4 of the plug boots were singed or, well fried. The HOOKERs don't offer a lot of clearance between the boots and the pipes and guess we didn't have enough. Switched to the Accel "shorty" plugs and that helped. Next step will be to use plug heat shields.

So, any particular brands / models you guys have had luck with and what about getting more "modern" headers? TCI keeps getting recommended, but I've seen them installed, and frankly the clearance on SOME pipes doesn't seem to be THAT much better. Headers are a real tight fit in a 74 Charger!

Open to suggestions ...

Tks

Archer
Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought here but check this out and see if this may help with your heat problem.

http://www.thermotec.com/exhaust-ins...wrap-kits.html

Last edited by sweeperking; 05-14-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you wrap your headers this might solve your problem not only that but your motor will love you for it also you should see an overall improvement with your headers wrapped or having coated headers your entire motor compartment will be cooler giving you better performance
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
header wrap will help. i think its accel, they make spark plug boot covers that are made of the same heat resistant material
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
headmen headers
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Gents -

Thanks, one of the reasons I'm trying to keep the HOOKERs is just because I like the way they look and are showing very little rust (on the engine bay side) for 30 year old metal, So, the tube wraps aren't a great choice right now.

Probably go with the wire/boot shields.

Tks

Archer.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Originally Posted by dodgenut7
if you wrap your headers this might solve your problem
wraping header tend to rot them out pretty quick..but it could help as mentioned
Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Go with the Accel 9000 with the ceramic boots, thats what I wound up with, great heat resistance, also put sleeves on the wires. Best pic I have of the wraps, can sort of see the boots on plug 1.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Mopar Lover

Commando -

Forgot about the 9000s, too bad they don't come in Yellow ...

I picked up the Accel heat shields yesterday, have to put them on when the rain stops ...

Tks

Archer
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1966sportfury
wraping header tend to rot them out pretty quick..but it could help as mentioned
i did not know that i learned something new today used wrap one other time but sold car [70 swinger] to pay medical bills years ago my headers i am running today are the coated hookers are they dont seem to get as hot
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Archer
Commando -

Forgot about the 9000s, too bad they don't come in Yellow ...

I picked up the Accel heat shields yesterday, have to put them on when the rain stops ...

Tks

Archer
I just can't understand why someone would give up quality & reliability for the sake of trying to look cool or its mandatory amongst the locals ...... do you guys all filp your air cleaner covers over for ram air also?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Mopar Lover

tramp -

Because in most cases, the difference in performance amongst the major brands (of anything) is most likely negligible, and mostly based on marketing hype. That was the reason for the pole in my other thread: to see if even with a limited number of votes, a trend would emerge. So far, nada.

Thanks for your .02, but given previous examples of your (lack of) understanding of basic Physics and over 200 posts in less than a month, it seems seem like you have too much time on your hands without the understanding or intelligence to make them worthwhile.

There's more to this hobby than YOUR OPINION, so please get a life.

BTW - Accel has been around a little longer than MSD, and do indeed have a number of excellent products. And yes, looks count.

Archer.
The following users liked this post:
jonaid (11-09-2022)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

@Archer, yes.. looks count but it's all up to you, for me, if I heard someone using MSD longer than Accel and advise MSD, I wouldn't give up performance for the look of wires?...

It's all about being an individual.. not following the trend of everyone else.
But on the other hand, Mopar is your own thing, you have the ability to choose looks over performance so it's your call.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Mopar Fanatic

the longevity of a company compared to another doesnt mean that much sure it says something but quality is the main and only thing to be concerned with afterall archer if longevity was what it was about you would be driving a furd am i right
Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Steve -

You are correct - it's an individual thing. There's a difference between building a race car and a street car. Unfortunately some folks aren't sure about what that difference is.

I did my racing in the 70's and 80's and have no intention of getting involved with it again. Fact is, in most street cars, I don't think people will see the difference between one wire and another, that's why I asked. The fact that Accel has a ceramic plug boot option, is a big plus, at least in my situation. If the choice is between using a set black wires and burnt boots, there's really no choice. If the difference is in a few ohms resistance, who cares?

Right now, the next step is the Accel boot shields and I'm seriously considering the 9000 ceramics, as an upgrade. We'll see how it plays out.

dn7 -

Sorta. Cars, for most people are a commodity. Grocery getters and a means of getting from point A to point B. For most of us, "hot rodding" or weekend racing is a hobby. Slight difference in the economics. If a company consistently puts out an "inferior" product, especially in the expendable market, they don't last very long.

Anywho, we're here because we like Mopars, for whatever reason. There are just as many Ford, Chevy and I'm sure Mini Copper forums or clubs around as well, so it's all good, until someone starts putting the others down or coming on like a know-it-all.

Archer

Last edited by Archer; 05-18-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: note to dogernut7
Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Archer
tramp -

Because in most cases, the difference in performance amongst the major brands (of anything) is most likely negligible, and mostly based on marketing hype. That was the reason for the pole in my other thread: to see if even with a limited number of votes, a trend would emerge. So far, nada.

Thanks for your .02, but given previous examples of your (lack of) understanding of basic Physics and over 200 posts in less than a month, it seems seem like you have too much time on your hands without the understanding or intelligence to make them worthwhile.

There's more to this hobby than YOUR OPINION, so please get a life.

BTW - Accel has been around a little longer than MSD, and do indeed have a number of excellent products. And yes, looks count.

Archer.

You kill man LMFAO... I sure would love to attend the auto 101 class your in so I can see what book your learning all your knowlage from, you constantly contradict yourself with evey post you make and sometimes I think its to try and brag about what you read that day so you can try and prove everyone wrong - How many years have you actually worked in an automotive garage for a living? How long have you had your mechanic's licence or I guess Head Manager at the local Waffle House don't give ya the qualifications to possess one of these .........
send your address to me in a pvt. message so I can send you an early christmas gift of bubble bath and a toaster ..... get the hint
P.S. guess ya don't know why they make accell wires yellow do ya .... it's to hide the **** stains as your looking for the bad wire at the side of the road ..... get a life lmao, this coming from the guy who needs yellow wire to be cool .... its not working sorry buddy you need to go back to crochet & knitting for a hobby its safer for people like yourself and I do need a new sweater...
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Mopar Lover

My Dad told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. I really enjoy this forum. Part of the reason is because there are all different kinds of people with varying views. From the guy who is just starting to learn to the real experts. Myself, I am probably on the lower end. I have worked on cars for a long time, and I'm pretty good at the simple things. I streched my boundarys a bit recently by doing my own brakes, which I thought was pretty cool. To some of you, a brake job is probably dummy work, to others I am sure it is something you hope to try some day. Anyhow, we are all car guys and Mopar guys, so let's not get in a circular firing squad. Live and let live. Treat others as you wish to be treated. This is not pointed at any one person, just a genaral thought.

Last edited by 67gtxclone; 05-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Don't dish it out if ya can't take it ..... I got beat up for it so .... life goes on
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

how long has accel been around.. msd just turned 40
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Mopar Lover

66 -

Not sure, but I remember when the original MSD boxes "popped up" (IIRC they really didn't become sorta mainstream until the late 70's early 80's). and we already has Accel wires, best I can remember anyway. Don't recall MSD wires back then, but could be wrong. Accel, Mallory and Moroso were the most popular.

Archer
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Mopar Lover

PLAY NICE PEOPLE !
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

no prob
Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Originally Posted by Polaradude
PLAY NICE PEOPLE !
what a D!CK!!!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Mopar Lover

This is the second set of 9000s I have, got the first set a few months before the ceramics came out, and burned 3 boots all the way through. Picked the Ceramics up before they were available commercially from Prestolite at a SEMA show, guy recommended them there and said to wrap the headers. The header wrap was crap, then went with the ceramic Schumacher Tri Ys you see in the picture and wrapped the wires instead. That wrap is good for 1700 degrees I think, something ridiculous, but saved the old wires and not the boots.

To further the other conversation, there is a lot of hype over MSD, a lot of people prefer them, but I find that Accel has a lot of quality behind the products and as mentioned above they have great service and helped me out a lot with this project.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Commando -

Not quite getting you? The second set of 9000s worked or didn't? Are you now using 9000s with std bouts???

Any more info on the ceramic Schumacher Tri Ys (Not seeing the picture.) Most of the headers I've been seeing are all painfully close to the boots.

BTW - just the addition of the Accel spark plug (boot) heat shield tubes seems to have helped, too bad they are so fugly ...

Tks

Archer
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Mopar Lover

I had to buy a second set as the boots on my first ones melted through, but the second set were the 9000 with the ceramic boots. They are still close, but the headers are ceramic, so less heat transference. The sleeves are a must otherwise the wires would have melted, I reused them from the first set.