more gas tank problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more gas tank problems

ok guys...so i solved my filler neck/gas station nozzle problem by cutting me a piece of exhaust flex tubing and attaching part of a funnel to it. it looks like it will work till i crawl underneath it to see what i can do to bring out the filler neck a little.

so i go up to the gas station with my contraption feeling half like a mcguyver and half like a hillbilly...lol...stick it in the hole...begin to pump the gas and it shoots right back at me!
it wont take but a half gallon of gas...any ideas? looks like the filler neck is getting full but the gas wont go down into the tank. now this contraption i made is about a foot and a half long..so i even shoved it way down in the tank and it still wouldnt take the gas.
i came home demoralized and started looking at new gas tanks online and see that some have vents in the gas tank...my question is this...could it maybe be that my gas tank vents are plugged? if so..what should i look for?
any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...i just wanna drive my car!!!! thus far the farthest i have driven it is about a half mile to the gas station and back twice. oh boy does it run good that short distance but damn it all...i wanna show it off!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, that IS weird!! The only thing I can think of is 2 options.
the gas tank is full of crap or
for some reason, the tube is too long or pushed in too far {the end is pushed up against the bottom or side, how that would happen, I dont know}
these are just wild guesses. You may have to bite the bullet and pull the damn thing down to figure out wassup!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah...i think thats what its gonna come down to. dont really have anytime to work on it till sunday. boy i forgot how frustrating old cars can be..hehe.

i just talked to a buddy of mine that has a 64 sport fury and he says that the tank has baffles of some sort in it and that maybe they are clogged up not allowing the gas tank to fill up...anybody heard of anything like that?