Problems related to Mass Airflow sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems related to Mass Airflow sensor

I have a 2003 Chrysler Concorde LXI with a 3.5L engine. While driving I'm experiencing a lot of problems that would associate with a faulty mass airflow sensor such as
  • The engine is very hard to start or turn over
  • The engine hesitates or drags while under load or idle
  • Hesitation and jerking during acceleration
  • The engine hiccups
  • Excessively rich or lean idling
  • Cruise control deactivates suddenly while in use at random times
I've taken my car to a professional repair shop to diagnose check engine codes since the light is constantly on. After running their computer diagnostics check more than once, I was told that codes that are coming back are basically BS codes and do not explain the problems I'm experiencing and so therefore they could not repair the car without a solid diagnostic code that would make sense to them. I've looked online at possible faulty sensors matching up with my issues which is how I arrived at the mass airflow sensor theory but also a possible MAP sensor fault. I can now rule that out since I replaced the MAP sensor on my own since it was pretty easy to do so. After doing that, about a few hours later on that same day, the car would not start at all ago for a good 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes the engine was turning but would not turn over like as if an air valve was closed and would not open to allow air into the engine to start. Now, I've looked at the Chrysler LH-Series 1998-04 repair manual which covers my model and in there I discovered my car doesn't have a mass airflow sensor. So I'm at a loss in figuring out where to go from there. Should the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve be next to target? Your help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Not a fun job.... My suggestion would be to find a better shop that knows Chryslers a little bit better... If the shop has a DRB Scan Tool and some Chrysler support. They might be a little better at finding the issue here. I'm not sure where to tell you to start. But I would hope that maybe a Tune-Up might just be in order... But also check the Fuel Pressure and fuel filter if it has a replaceable one. Crank Sensors can also cause this problem you have described. Might need a Modus scan tool too look at those.
Also make sure the charging system is working good, if it has a charging issues that also can be a problem. If the car had been worked on by someone and any grounds did not get hooked back up, that can cause issues. Or it could have a total Computer failure that it might need to be tested for. But if the light is on all the time. That is a problem, this means the car cant even run in "limp mode".. Wow
But if your looking at doing some of this yourself... I would say sign up for AllData or Mitchell-OnDemand and us those trouble shooters to find and fix your issues... Or we can help you just throw parts at it and hope to hit on it...
Good luck
Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to check the harness connection at the pcm for moisture or corrosion?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Not that I can share then for copy rite issues.... But I do see a hand full of Technical Service Bulletins for this car. Looks pretty closely related...
I am not 100% sure weather this car was a Vin# M or G.. So I just use the G for reference. Possibilities, PCM, Reflash PCM, Valve Springs, Just to name a couple.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
TPI, just me.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Code 24 would be an easy one to fix and test...
Old 12-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I meant TPS, throttle position sensor.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

The last time I had one throwing multiple codes that didn't make any sense it ended up being a bad ground and this was on a 10 month old car