Question: Steps to restoring/rebuilding a car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Steps to restoring/rebuilding a car.

In a matter of days, I will be putting a 1967 Belvedere II 383 in my garage. It will need to be totally redone, but it has 95% of the original parts, and most of it should be reusable. My question is...

What are the steps to redoing this car? What is "Phase 1" and so on... I will be working on a limited budget, but don't mind alot of elbow grease so to speak. I will have access to a Bead blaster, paintbooth, an upholstery friend, and all the tools I will ever need when the time comes. But what do I do first with this new project sitting in my car.

I am very green, and have no formal training, but I am very sharp and mechanically minded, and willing to learn and get my hands dirty. So where to begin? and where to go from there?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Tommyboy
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Get some different sized plastic bags, put your small parts in the bag with a piece of paper inside with the description. Marking on the outside with a pen can come off handling with oily hands. Take pictures of each component taken off and keep in a safe place. You'll thank me later. Protect your glass from grinding and welding if you leave it in. I have some small 4 wheel carts for trans, rear end and things like that and an engine cart. Makes it easy and saves the back.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Mopar Fan

question: I can see rust up to the window seals, should I plan on taking it out? or should that be avoided at all costs?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Tough call, but if you plan on doing it right and keeping this car for as long as you say plan on taking it out. If you don't get it all it will come back to haunt you. That car is definitely worth 100% effort.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start with about 6 pounds of money! Nothing is more frustrating than a project that starts and stops like a Pollack at a flashing red light! Coronet had good advice on all points. These days you could store the whole rebuild on your phone, so there are no excuses. I use masking tape on my bags, and a retractable sharpie.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Mopar Fan

thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately for me, i'll be one of those guys that has to wait on monies to build up. I am going to try to do 95% of the work myself, but obviously some things will cost money. I'm not opposed to buying used parts though, for the sake of reality. If I push really hard, I MIGHT be able to get the car into my garage this weekend. I just need to find 3 rims that will fit an old 67 Plymouth, and get some tires on it. I have the trailer lined up to pull it out, but I don't want to do it without tires...
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Hey I'm a Pollack and I drive right through 'em, didn't know you had to stop.
Good to know, Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pictures...Pictures...Pictures and more pictures. Very good advice from the other guys. Use plenty of baggies for parts, big and small baggies.Plenty of plastic totes with lids for larger things that won't fit in baggies. Make sure to label everything both in and out of the baggies and totes. Put little notes or diagrams in the baggie, so you remember where, when and how it came apart, to make it easier to put it back together.

While you are waiting for finances, clean, paint and bag for safety all parts that won't be replaced. Never throw away old parts, the new ones might be different or could need a bolt or part from the old. Also cores could be needed later, or someone may be needing that part,even though old, to finish their project. Many old parts could be sold to help finance your own project. Just look sometime, where someone is trying to find a special fastener and you have it $$$$.

Ask plenty of questions from whoever will listen. Get friends, family and everybody involved to help or just to give you motivation. There are many good sites, like this one on the net to help with all those questions and problems you will encounter along the journey.

And don't forget to take plenty of pictures, this will help when you have those times where you just can't remember.

Good luck with your resto.

P.S.-Pics and questions.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Mopar Lover

If your looking for wheels this might help.

http://adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm

Maybe find something just to move it.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Hey I'm a Pollack and I drive right through 'em, didn't know you had to stop.
Good to know, Thanks.
Sorry. But my wife is Polish too! And French-Canadian, and blonde. I feel the government should be compensating me just for keeping her out of trouble!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Mopar Fan

i dont now if your planning on driving this as you restore it or if you just plan on waiting till your complete than driving it

but

i liked this method works well if you plan on driving it as you go

1. safety
2. reliability
3. looks

than i figure if after im with it for a few years and still love the thing

than i will do a down to frame restore.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Mopar Fan

I have the Belvedere home now!!! I have spent the last 2 evenings just getting it clean so I can even start working on it. I have never seen so much rat poop in all my life. haha.

I've been able to get a closer look at the car. The floorboards are VERY solid, but the rear lower quarters are rusted through. I'm definitely going to be replacing some significant metal on those areas. Also, I can see a few pinhole rust-through spots right above the windshield. I'm still not quite sure how I'll deal with that yet, but I do plan on going back with a Vinyl top if I can find one, so maybe that'll hide some patching I have to do at least.

Anyways, I'll start a thread in the "Member's rides" section as soon as I can really have a chance to get some time to examine the car and start dismantling it.

Thank you for your interest, critiques, and helpful comments as I proceed! They are definitely welcome!

Tommyboy
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Mopar Lover

God bless Tommy! It can get dis-heartening as you peel back the layers, and discover new problems. We are all here for you.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey guys!

For those who would like to know, I started a thread in "Member's Ride" area on my project. Please feel free to stop by and check in on me, and throw some opinions on me progress. I am just kind of winging it, and welcome solid direction! haha.

Tommyboy