General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

440 Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I'm not familiar with newer motors, say, middle 80's.

However, what you describe is ABSOLUTELY true of not only 440's, but generally all pass car engines from at least the 60's and later.

Chrysler did not finish machine the pilot bushing recess on cranks destined for auto's.

There are two solutions:

Either get the crank finished, or

Buy an "undersized" O.D. bushing, and cut some off the front of the trans shaft. I don't remember how much, maybe 3/8" or so. I've never done this myself---the only car I owned with this situation came to me in that condition. I found out when I pulled the 4 speed to change the clutch. "Well, lookey there?? They cut off that shaft!!"

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, cutting the shaft isn't "correct" but it doesn't really seem to hurt anything, either. the pilot shaft is plenty long, so strength is no problem.

On a side note, I recomment carefully checking a new bell/ scattershield installation for "true." My original six pack car, which I put a LOT of miles on, began to develop a pattern--that car was very hard on pilot bushings, and I finally discovered that the FACTORY ORIGINAL bell was out of alignment with the block. There are two "planes" of possibility---the center hole and bolt pattern can be offset to one side, or the face of the bell can be "tilted" at some angle to the crank/ flywheel.

Having spent time with friends envolved in "Jeep" type 4x4 engine swaps and conversions, I can tell you that--back then--I was unimpressed with the "quality" of the likes of Lakewood.

While on this rant, having run a 340/ 4 speed and Jeep transfer case conversion in my '62 Landcruiser, a friend of mine and I both got incorrectly manufactured conversion shafts from Advance Adapters. Very, very, irritating.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I'm not up on current prices, and they'll vary around the country. I assume you are just building a nice street car? You'll really have to decide whether to build an auto or stick yourself, but if it were me I'd put an auto in there.

I'ts probably cheaper and easier in the long run, and for me, I just can't shift anymore!!!.

However, factor this into the price:

Those old bodies had the old style rear ends with the tapered rear axles--look for a great big nut on the rear axle. I'd plan on putting a newer rear in there, so there's more money

Also, the old push-button autos used the weird front U joint (I can't remember the name of it) used on older Jeep Wagoneers. You need to go to a newer trans and get rid of THAT--at least in my opinion.

About the quickest way to tell if an engine was auto or stick is simply see if there's a pilot bushing installed. I doubt anyone is going to pull an engine and take the trouble to pull out a pilot bushing.

I don't remember anymore, how deep the crank is, but you could also make yourself a simple depth gauge, once you know how deep the "stick" crank socket is

Frankly, as I said, if it were me, I build an auto--and I'm a guy who drove 4 speeds all my younger days.