Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with a late 60s dart help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone with a late 60s dart help

i need a new wiper motor for my 69 dart sadly i cant find one ordered a three speed motor and the one that came in looked nothing like the one i had found out it was a two speed motor that came in they cant get the three speed then someone else told me late 60s dart came with a variable speed motor so can anyone out there with a late 60s dart tell me what they have and maybe where i can find one heck if anyone has an extra one i would be happy to buy it from them thanx
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Have you looked around e-bay by chance? (I'm sure you have but have to ask.)

I know it is going to take some time but look through some of the threads for links to websites. Sometimes there is that one that has exactly what your looking for. (this gives me an idea too)
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked NAPA website and they show a 2 speed wiper mtr. Have you looked into getting your old one rebuilt or repaired?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Mopar Fanatic

they told me they might be able to repair it but could give me a ball park figure of cost do yiu have an idea sweeper what it might run
Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

looked on ebay there is a three speed motor for a 72 demon would that work in my 69 dart
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
I'm not that knowledgable about interchangable parts between years and vehicles. I'm sure that someone on here could tell you though.

You could email the person for the part number on the unit and compair it to yours. Also, mounting hole locations and meassurements.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Click on this link and check it out. It shows pictures of differnt wiper mtrs maybe you can find the one that looks like the one you currently have. As far as hook up goes if the connection looks the same it "should" work. Everything I have seen so far says your car should take the two speed. I can check into rebuild at my local shop but the price will probably be differnt that anything in your area.

http://www.racepages.com/parts/winds...odge/dart.html
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

the guy on ebay said is the one that told me about darts and variable speed motors but he did say the mounting holes are the same but the switch and wiring is different between the 3 speed and variable motors .....it looks exactly like mine so i dont know what to do
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Mopar Fanatic

went to the link and those motors look nothing like the one i pulled out let me see if i can post a pic of mine
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Mopar Fanatic

my stupid camera is dead if you go to ebay and search dodge dart 3 speed wiper motors one will come up that is what mine looks like
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Got some pictures heres. The first one is from ebay, I dont know they look like they may work maybe some one else can give an opinion
Attached Thumbnails anyone with a late 60s dart help-3spdwiper.jpg   anyone with a late 60s dart help-40-362.jpg   anyone with a late 60s dart help-40-364.jpg  

Last edited by sweeperking; 06-16-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I also found this.......

http://www.passion4mopars.com/produc...ed-wiper-motor

A little spendy but it might work
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Mopar Lover

I just went through this with my GTX. I bought a used one off of ebay that was supposed to fit my car and be a 2 speed. What came to my house was for a Monaco and was a 3 speed. I could not use it. I ended up taking mine apart, taking emery cloth to the rust on the shaft and lubing it up good and it is working fine now. The brushes are good, and for as much as my car will be in the rain, it should be good for the foreseeable future. I did check in to having mine rebuilt and I was told about $100.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Mopar Fanatic

thats it sweeper you nailed it that is what mine looks like thanx for the homework you did that is what makes this forum so great people going the extra mile to help a total strangerchecked out the passion4 mopars looked nice till i seen the pricemy car will not see the rain if i can help it
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

ok here is the latest on my wipers i got out my haynes manuel and looked at the wiring diagram the plug off the motor has been cut off and electrical ends have been put on in their place so i redid the ends with new ones and rehooked the motor up according to the diagram i am not sure but i dont think they were hooked up right before so i turned my switch and got alittle movement out of my blades that tells me that my motor isnt burnt up correct? so what else should i be looking at oh by the way it is a variable speed motor according to the haynes manuel they either had two or variable speed motors in them
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

This is that same website that has that spendy wiper motor but a differnt part of the site, check it out then go down the left side of the page and checkout the rest of the site. IMO this is a gold mine on wiper mtr info.

http://www.passion4mopars.com/pages/3speedbenchtest
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by sweeperking
IMO this is a gold mine on wiper mtr info.

http://www.passion4mopars.com/pages/3speedbenchtest
Thanks! I worked hard to give as much info as I can share on wiper motors. If there's anything I can help with, let me know...it's vicious rumor that I bite

I have a list of part numbers and applications that may also help on my website:

http://www.passion4mopars.com/pages/wmpn

If you have a 3 speed motor/variable speed (the only thing that determines the difference there is the switch), and it's timed for an A/B body, any motor will work. Meaning if I take an E body wiper motor and change the timing and the bulkhead connector, it will operate as an A/B wiper motor and vice versa. If part number and date code aren't important to you, any motor will work if it has the correct 8 gang bulkhead clip and correct switch plate timing ;o)

Last edited by Passion4Mopars; 06-18-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Mopar Fanatic

well i have another issue the person who had the dart before me installed the electronic ignition but they cut the wires to the wiper motor off the plug and used the plug for the ignition now what would be the easiest way to redo the set up all the wires for the wiper motor are gone for the plug receptacle under the dash how would you go about redoing this so every thing works fine do i leave the ignition where it is wired or redo the plug and receptacle for the wiper motor
Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Is the car an AC car? If not, you'll have two open slots in that 8 gang plug that goes on the end of the wiper motor harness. One of the gang is for an AC blower motor and the other gang is for an AC slot (compressor). So, they are switched power. If you want to run the electronic ignition off the firewall bulkhead, you can use one of those gangs and have it on a toggle switch mounted under the dash or something like that (also could be used as a theft deterrent cause you're the only one that would know where the switch is and how to turn the ignition on ) ) or simply just find a switched (hot) wire that has 12v when the car is in start and run position and hook your positive for your ignition box up there? Don't hook it up to the alternator feed. Or run a wire inside and hook it up under the dash to a positive switched wire.

Now, if I'm clear as mud on this, please say so, or hey, gimme a call, I'll try to explain it without speaking so much blondinese LOL