Car Shows..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Car Shows..

I brought the RR to an informal (no classes) "Classic and Antique" car show held at my dads retirment community. There were about 75 cars there. All types. I made some observations and thought I would share/open up for discussion:

There were cars at this show from as new as 2009. I say: Come back in 20 years! (although this car show was for charity and they didnt want to turn anyone away..).

I do not show my car at many shows as I like to walk around but dont want to leave my car unattended. I have come back to see folks leaning on my car, placing drinks and other stuff on my car, and reaching into my car and beeping the horn (meep meep). I have also seen kids trying to peel decals off cars.

I also think that unless you have a very pretty engine/bay, most cars show better with the hood and trunk closed. You cant see the lines of a classic with the hood open..

What do you think?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I drive my car to a lot of shows and walk around. And yes I have come back to my car to find soda spilt on the bumper and cup rings on the fenders. The one thing that bothers me the most is the parents that do not wach there kids and the child is in my car pretending he is racing it down the road. I see this alot of people jumping into cars and sitting in it like a used car lot
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother thought I was nuts because I didn't want to leave my car and walk around with him and another buddy.

Just got my car a month ago and was really freaking!!

Of course, if every one thought and acted on it, like me and OP, there wouldn't be any cars at the shows to look at.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have been doing this since 1989 and i agree with ya'll i stay with my car 75% of the time however the cars i build are not concourse show cars. I don't have the time to worry about folks touching/scratching ect. [if i did that i would not drive them] i go to shows to enjoy my day being around other gearheads and talking to folks.At our shop we build our cars to be affordable fun drivers [workin folks can afford] that can be shown [trophys are not our reason] every car i have built in the past 23 years has been 10k or below and i have had a few that i took to shows and placed 3rd against 30+k vehicles. Ya'll have to be careful and watch them like a hawk cause most folks just see them as cars. As for the newer cars at shows i don't have a problem EXCEPT when they are not seperated by years it is unfair to put ANY classic car up against a new car i don't care how nice it is. Ya'll need to stop worrying yourselves sick about your cars while at shows and enjoy yourselves [don't you worry about somebody t boneing you on your way there] i worry more about that than what happens at the show. I'm just stating my opinions here, we are all caretakers of pieces of history and it's our responsibility to take care of them and share them with others take them out and enjoy showing them off oooooooor leave them in the garage.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Mopar Fan

Lou: Easy to say as you build em for a living. A scratch or dent for me would be a major inconvenience (and bummer) and $$ to repair. Mine are not trailer queens but I am very careful with them.

I wish we lived closer as I could use a good car restorer to help finish the Challenger.

I am a "workin' folk" too!

Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I build them for a hobby i'm sorry, what i mean in shop is my sons and i build them for ourselves, low buck type rides are all we have ever been able to build [imports,chevys,fords] the latest cars are both mopars [somewhat difficult to keep low buck] my 66 cuda has surpassed the 10k mark [includes purchase price] and not yet restored, our other [73 charger] is hovering around 3k right now. Thank you for the vote of confedence i'm no restorer [matter of fact i've never welded/painted prior to this build] my expertise is suspension/brakes and mechanics. I eat,sleep,breath cars/trucks always have. I'm honored to be able to particpate in this hobby and i make many sacrifices to be able to do this [after bills,food ect.] my sons are grown and active in the hobby also. I have been told by my sons/family that the types of vehicles i build fit my personality [i don't belong in a super straight,shiny car] just a respectable truck/car or rat rod. Nothin wrong with trailer queens gotta protect your investment,but i would rather drive them. At this point in our economy we all are workin folks in one way or another!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Mopar Fan

Got it Lou!

My wife also loves muscle cars and can tell the difference between them.

She loves driving my Magnum R/T to work as she has lots of tree hugger types there..
Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Mine puts up with my illness she's likes trucks more than cars. You should tell your wife to do a big ole smokey burnout when she leaves haha.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The people at the car shows that I have gone to and entered my car in have all been very respectful of all of the cars in the show... I'll set up my little camp behind the car with some chairs and a little ice chest but, haven't had a worry when I have walked away from the car.... with all the windows down.... to look at the other cars in the show.
Now, in the event that I saw someone reaching into my car to honk the horn or, set or spill a drink on the car.... There may be a problem!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

We have had folks climb into our cars,lean all over them,seen them get in sit down and go thru the items in the glove box. Some folks just don't have no common sence then they look at ya like your an *** when you go apeshit on them for getting in your car. Worst yet is judges that are overheard "don't bother looking at that barracuda it's a piece of crap" [85% orignal car with an amiture cosmetic restoration done in 1996] but they took my 20 bucks no problem. I don't go to pay shows anymore [not even charity ones] because of that reason i'm not into trophys don't care about them but if your gonna take my money at least give me the same amount of time judging my car as everyone else, classic car shows have become just another way of making money at our expence and the hobbys expence. I only go to local cruisein's and free shows to hangout with the other gearheads.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Beep -

I generally don't go too "larger" car shows, but do attend local cruise-ins and club gatherings a few times a month. The larger cruise-ins span several parking lots and have hundreds of cars and hundreds to thousands of spectators.

I keep hearing about the things you mentioned, but happily rarely see them. First, the cruise-ins are populated by car people, and we will usually watch out for each other. Most spectators with kids or pets in toe are also pretty respectful to the cars on display, possibly because they are so out-numbered by the car owners and enthusiasts .

Yeah, I think I would get pretty riled if I saw a kid trying to climb into my car and acting like a race car driver...

Archer
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I'll add that you northern folks have huge turnouts for cruiseins [i seen the photos] and ya'll have some extreamly nice cars. It's a shame you don't have a longer season to get them out to enjoy them but thats probly why they are so nice you have longer periods to complete your work. I'm jelous but at the same time i don't like snow/ice, love cold weather not the other stuff.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
lou -

Actually there are a couple, or at least one, that runs pretty much all year, but I generally don't like taking the old girl out in the snow and the old man isn't too fond on temps in the teens with no heater in the car...

Archer
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I go to maybe 2 or 3 car shows a year. Car shows are BORING. Go to the drag strip... its a car show AND you get to see the cars go down the track.

Most people are good about not leaning on your cars, but i've told off a couple dingle berrys....

Its just an old dart that got restored. Then gets driven. Its got chips, its got marks. Its not perfect. I drive it alot. Things happen. If you catch someone leaning on your car, tell themm to get the f**k off it.