Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A car story and more-the kid that didn't make it home from Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A car story and more-the kid that didn't make it home from Afghanistan

During the course of a year we do hundreds of car stories and we try to focus on the human side of the equation-this one really drove that point home. This one was a lot more than a Mopar guy and his car.
This kid loved his 68 Cuda and thought about it all the time-even while serving in Afghanistan.
Everybody can relate to this story on some level, but car guys would sure get the significance of the car and its importance as a symbol of home.
http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/2-features/stories/461-the-freedom-found-in-a- 1968-plymouth-barracuda-a-soldiers-legacy.html
Attached Thumbnails A car story and more-the kid that didn't make it home from Afghanistan-cuda-3.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The Military is a family like people would never believe. I'm pretty far from where the car is, but if there's anything I can do to help, I'll do my best. MyStar, if you can pass that offer on, I'd appreciate it.

My first '68 GTX (bought in '74) was a similar story. 1100 miles, last registered in 1968, and the owner who traded it in said it had been his son's car, and he never returned from VN. Everyone had heard stories like that before so I kind of blew it off, till it took over 2 months to get the title, and I asked the TN Dept MV what the problem was. They told me it was a problem of estate executor authority to transfer the title. I did get the title, and drove many pleasurable miles in that car. Many stupid miles as well, someone was watching over me to keep me alive and out of jail.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a very touching story.....made me cry. Why is a 53 year old guy like me still here, and this good kid is gone? I too am far away to be of any physical assistance, but if I could make a donation to the project, please let me know how to do so.