Which Carb for 440? Edelbrock Demon or Holley?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I decided before Installing the fuel pump to take it out and drive it til it craps out and pull the coil wire and then a plug wire to make sure its getting fire when it craps out. I did this right after getting my 750 double pumper back on it.... I wanted to stay close to the house in case it didn't want to start at all. But I probably put 30 miles on it driving around the block. I got on it a few times, drove it hard for a bit... it stayed running great. Then I thought about it. And usually when it quits me I'm just driving it easy, cause its usually in town when it happens. So I started driving it normal... still nothing just ran great. Then I went to just put putting lol... Still nothing. Then I went back to driving it normal... still nothing. I ended up just bringing it back to the house and parking it for the night. I'm going to take it out again on my next day off and try to get it to crap out on me. That way if its not the fuel pump I can get my money back on it. And Duster3 I would think it would run bad constantly rather than just every once in a while if it were the points. But I do need to check them out to be sure.. I dont have a dwell meter, need to get one though. I'll get it figured out one way or the other... need to quick though cause I'm too young to have grey hair lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by TVLynn
Sounds like crappy gas. Drain some into a can and look for water. Talk the carb apart and give it a quick cleaning
Otherwise dump a good dose of SeaFoam into the gas tank and run it
Forgot to say I did this as well. I drained probably a liter of gas out and it all looked great. I went ahead and put a full container of seafoam in it at about 3/4 of a tank. And its still being stupid...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Make sure you check the pushrod length for wear if it is a big block
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 AM
Mopar Lover

After driving it into town still no luck on getting it to break down again to verify if it's gas or fire. I decided to talk to a mechanic while I was in town. He said the first thing he'd change would be the condensor if it still has points. And it does. So I took a trip to Oreilly's and spent $6.00 on the condensor. Was on the way home to install it. Then bingo the car started crapping out! lol I got out and pulled the coil wire, I was getting fire from the coil. Then pulled the number 1 plug wire and I was not getting fire to it. I was getting gas. I decided to go ahead and put the condensor on there. As soon as it was installed I hopped in the car and it fired right up. This was 2 days ago haven't had it crap out on me yet. But we'll see. Also another good guy I know told me to check to see if the resistor on the firewall is hot when it starts crapping out. I checked it when it happened that last time and sure enough it was hot as hell. It actually burned my finger after a split second of touching it. Should that be replaced or is that normal? He never specified if it should be hot or cold lol. I'm guessing its not good but idk.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Well I figured I'd let you guys know in case anyone else has this issue. The car seems to be fixed. I've been driving it every chance I've gotten for the last week and a half or so (pretty much every day) and it hasn't even started to crap out since I put the new condenser on it. So if your running points and your car will just randomly crap out, first pull your coil wire make sure your getting fire. If your getting fire from the coil, check the number 1 wire if your not getting fire it's probably the condenser. Of course you gotta check for fire while the car is acting up.

The condenser cost me a whole $5.99. A lot cheaper than the $50.00 in tune up supplies and the $40.00 fuel pump I bought trying to get this car to run right.

I hope anyone having this issue finds this and has their headache ended a lot easier and cheaper than mine was.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock 600-750