General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drums won't go back on..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No flame from me, I agree. If you live someplace where they do vehicle inspections, you will need to have a working e-brake. As someone else mentioned, if you ever lose the hydraulic brakes, you will wish you had the e-brake. Sure, the odds are with you, but why not be safe?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I am going to disagree with some of the above post, please dont slam me I know I am in the minority here but here me out. In all my training I was taught to only use the "e" brake better know as the parking brake by todays standards (hmmm I wonder why) for parking. Anywho, has any one ever applied a parking brake at 50-60 mph? Try it on a safe stretch of road and see what happens. I was taught in case of a brake failure to do things like down shift to low and slowly pump brake peddal. this is why today it's called a parking brake, use when parking. I was in a winter defensive driving class and one of the lessons was to simulate a brake failure, apply "e" brake. It was kind of fun I did a 360 but I would hate to do that for real on a busy road.

My 1 1/2 cents worth here.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeperking
I am going to disagree with some of the above post, please dont slam me I know I am in the minority here but here me out. In all my training I was taught to only use the "e" brake better know as the parking brake by todays standards (hmmm I wonder why) for parking. Anywho, has any one ever applied a parking brake at 50-60 miles per hour? Try it on a safe stretch of road and see what happens. I was taught in case of a brake failure to do things like down shift to low and slowly pump brake peddal. this is why today it's called a parking brake, use when parking. I was in a winter defensive driving class and one of the lessons was to simulate a brake failure, apply "e" brake. It was kind of fun I did a 360 but I would hate to do that for real on a busy road.

My 1 1/2 cents worth here.

i don't disagree with you. As of right now, in my Daily, i use the E-brake (parking brake, EMERGENCY brake...) as a 2nd form of braking. My rear brakes (drums) don't work. I haven't pulled the drums off yet to figure out why, I'm guessing the wheel cylinders are leaking, the springs have stretched, ect ect.

When I pull up on the E-brake and pump the pedal at the same time, I get pressure. Just pumping up the pedal does nothing. So it can be used as a 2nd form in EMERGENCIES.

We all have opinions obviously, and no one is always going to agree with everyone. I just feeling an e-brake should ALWAYS be used WHENEVER you PARK. Either in an AUTOMATIC or MANUAL car.

2cents
Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Mopar Fanatic

All of your opinions stand to reason, but why would I need it for right now anyway? It's sitting in my driveway being worked on. Maybe when it's 99% completed I'll find a way to put it back on, but the stock ebrake link will not allow my drums to fit for now, so I'd need to go to Davies Tech and fabricate a new one
Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many people assume that the rear brakes adjust themselves. Or they are adjusted by hitting them while in reverse. I was told by an old wrench that regular use of the parking brake is the BEST way to keep the rears in adjustment. Anyone want to chime in on this?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by RROriginals
but why would I need it for right now anyway? It's sitting in my driveway being worked on.
You never know when you might want to pull the valve body out of the tranny and install a shift kit. Yes you could chock the wheels but what if something hits them out? Same thing if you want to pull the drive shaft to replace the u-joints.

I have used my e-brake while driving. I lost a rear brake line in a 92 Dakota that I had and had to use the e-brake while driving home from school (about 30 miles up a highway). I learned very quickly to lightly apply the e-brake to slow down (luckily I was also driving with a manual tranny and was down shifting).

The thing is, it is there as a safety feature, as an "emergency" if something happens. Besides, you already have the brakes apart, might as well replace them while you are in there. No point in doing the job twice if you don't have to.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but why would I need it for right now anyway? It's sitting in my driveway being worked on.
Why fix it right when I can half *** it now and never go back and make it right...
Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Many people assume that the rear brakes adjust themselves. Or they are adjusted by hitting them while in reverse. I was told by an old wrench that regular use of the parking brake is the BEST way to keep the rears in adjustment. Anyone want to chime in on this?
Take it from another "old wrench" if set up correctly the rear (drum) brakes do self adjust while backing up and hitting the rear brakes. If there disk brake they also self adjust, but by applying the parking brake. Drum brakes dont self adjust by parking brake.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

my fury was a single bail brake master cyl. and i was glad i had the e brake as the single bail failed a few times pumping the brake peddel did nothing,.. .. on the talk of them locking up i havent had that problem it just like a regualar brake the harder you push it the more it grabs.. i just keeped the handle pull out when i used it so it would come back up and not stay down
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I'm not half assing it Crazy, some people don't have thousands of dollars coming out their a$$ to spend. I'm on a budget and I'd like to do the most important things first, I have plenty of time to go back to it. I guess it still stands to reason, most people only judge.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You can budget a set of headers but not a set of brake cables?

I'm done here.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Mopar Lover

I'm not half assing it Crazy, some people don't have thousands of dollars coming out their a$$ to spend. I'm on a budget and I'd like to do the most important things first, I have plenty of time to go back to it. I guess it still stands to reason, most people only judge.
No need to start throwing stones. This is neither the time or place for this but I get pissed when I am accused of having "thousands to throw around" I have been so broke I lived in my car. I try not to make the mistake of having to do the same job multiple times (cost more in the long run)

• You'd like to do the important things first? How much more important are brakes? If the drums do not go back on, there is a reason. To make it fit incorrectly or half assed is the wrong way to do it. You come on these forums asking for help to do it the wrong way. I have seen too many times that guys will go and try to fix stuff themselves and hot have the resources to do it right. Need help? No problem! Need help doing it wrong? You are asking for criticism.
You say that I only judge? Wrong again! I have a shop here at my home. I work a 60-70 hour work week and open my home to local guys that work on their cars here on weekends. I am fortunate enough to have bought all the tools I need and now share them with friends that need help. I help people on many forums that visit. I have offered help here as well, but when you ask for opinions on doing things either dangerous or incorrectly I am going to let you know it. I have met some guys on here and have seen some of the cars. there are some great people here and some great cars and not all of these have "thousands of dollars coming out of their a$$" I know some guys on here don't like me at all, that's OK those are the ones that don't like me telling them they are Fu@#ing up their cars by not doing stuff complete and correct.

Go ahead, drive your car as unsafe as you like. Maybe next you can leave off some steering parts. I am in Delaware, there is no way you'll likely crash into me.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Smartasses all around, exactly why I stated, "Why would I need it, if it is sitting in my driveway." I can't drive it yet, won't for a little while, so when I have the time to fab new links then I will, You know, I really don't have the money for a nice 440, a nice new engine, a nice body and paint job, nice new everything. So far I'm having to split between things. Oh and it's not my cables 78D, it's my whole parking brake link. The stock is too large to fit no matter what. So why not just fabricate new ones instead of spending more money than I can.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Oh and another thing, it's a learning experience, you do something a few times over and over, you learn how to do it with your eyes closed. Instead of doing it once then trying to remember how you did it when you have to again.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Mopar Lover

We're not being smart asses. We're trying to help you spend LESS money, get the CORRECT stuff, and have everything done CORRECTLY.

If it's not working, get that phase of the project done before moving on to something bigger, such as getting the car rolling and driving around. Yea, its in your driveway, but when you get it running, you're gona need it. May as well do it now.

I don't have tons of money. My car was built of used parts. The only new things on is the front suspension, and new drums/shoes all the way around and paint/body work, which we got a steal on. Eitherwise, it was going to be MACCO.

Ask questions on how to do stuff CORRECLTY, and you won't get your *** flamed to you. Like C4C said, you ask how to do stuff incorrectly, you're going to get a stupid answer.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as a jackass, but some stuff on a car is very important, and you just can't half *** ****. When you start doing that, it shows its face real quickly.

Take for example my 92 Jetta. The heater core blew. So i replaced it, when i took the box out, i broke the tangs on the box where the cables attach. Doh. Well, i put it back together so i could have heat. Now i got to take it apart, and replace the heater BOX. What a PAIN IN THE ***. Takes about 3 hours to do the job. If i would've taken my time, and looked at what i was doing, i wouldn't have to be doing it again.

My 2 cents
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah, but I took it for a test today, my brakes are working just fine without the parking brake, I KNOW that I will need it, I just need to find time to get to Davies Tech to make new links, I was considering saving thousands and trying an experiment with paint rolling. It's just rough, I only have $1,065.10 left, $320 to downpayment on insurance, $207/mo after that, still need to register it, still need to do some odds and ends, so I'll barely have enough for anything after. But for me, I'd rather do it over and over just so I can get the feel and I'm able to do it in 10 mins next time, the first time took me a day and a half to do, then after I did it all I took it apart and did it in an hour, did it again, took a little less, I learn a different way, by doing it again and again.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Yeah, but I took it for a test today, my brakes are working just fine without the parking brake, I KNOW that I will need it, I just need to find time to get to Davies Tech to make new links, I was considering saving thousands and trying an experiment with paint rolling. It's just rough, I only have $1,065.10 left, $320 to downpayment on insurance, $207/mo after that, still need to register it, still need to do some odds and ends, so I'll barely have enough for anything after. But for me, I'd rather do it over and over just so I can get the feel and I'm able to do it in 10 mins next time, the first time took me a day and a half to do, then after I did it all I took it apart and did it in an hour, did it again, took a little less, I learn a different way, by doing it again and again.
There you go again! Paint with a roller? Yes yes yes, I know you saw it on TV, but it is going to look like ***. 99% of a paint job is the prep. Even if you are going to roll it (please don't) you have to do all the prep work.

Soooooooooooo, do all the prep work yourself and pay Maaco 200 bucks to shoot it. Cheaper and a better job than a roller.

I'm starting to think you are just f'ing with me on purpose. Roller!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Lol, have you seen some of the paint jobs done with the roller?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Oh and I didn't see it on TV, I've actually researched it quite a bit
Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Yo i know what you're saying, but Practice doesn't make Perfect, it makes Permanent, so do it right the first time so you will do it Perfect Permanently.

Paint with a roller? hmmmm......
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Mopar Fanatic

i would hook up the e-brake as soon as you can i always use mine in the dakota durango and the dart i guess its a force of habit from having other 4 speed vehicles
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Mopar Fanatic

i wasnt gonna get in to this but like blue and crazy said do it right the first time and you will be time and money ahead i am no mechanic by any stretch that is why i ask for help on this forum i have gotten alot of great advice from many people here and if i cant do what they have told me i get help from a friend no shame in that better than sitting broke down on the side of the road or worse yet wrapped around a tree no sense in getting mad and throwing insults around they are just looking out for your best interest
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Mopar Fanatic

RR

I must have missed something here but why do you need new links made up? Were the old ones damaged some how. I thought the reason for removing the links in the first place is because of frozen cables. Next question, say you got your new links and your parking brake cables or what ever was wrong with your parking brake fixed.
Would you actualy use the parking brake? In an emergency? Would someone else use your car that would use the parking brake? I might get slammed here but there are two sides to a coin.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

As of now I have NO Ebrake whatsoever, the links weren't damaged and the cables weren't seized, it's just that the link is too big (How, I have no clue?), so I'm going to make new ones. And I would never let anyone else use my car. Lol crazy!. @ Everyone else, I don't learn by doing it once and having it over with. I learn by doing it multiple times in a day.

Paint with a roller? Yes, paint with a roller. One second. http://horsepowersports.com/paint-yo...for-under-100/

I've looked up, researched all of this for hours. Doing a test run on my friend's Nissan, XD
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

sounds like it take a month to do a paintjob on the car......on the brakes what links are we all talking about? or idoes the cable under the car need adjusted?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

the links weren't damaged and the cables weren't seized, it's just that the link is too big (How, I have no clue?)
Sooo......these links are not the right ones for the car and you know this for a fact, no way they could have been installed wrong? Just because you may have gotten the cables to budge slightly dont mean that there not siezed. I bring all this up because I assume before you ever did the brake job the links were installed right. Then when you but all new parts in now the drums wont fit. Again unless I missed something I would go back and recheck those cables sometimes you can get away with lubing them.

Last edited by sweeperking; 06-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Mopar Lover

OMG!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'll post a picture later of the links, And no, the paint will take a few days, I'm buying a paint gun instead for a faster limit. And again no, they were the parking brake links that came from the factory when the car was built. It's too big, the aftermarket pads and shoes I have fit, but the link it too long for them, which prevented the drums from going back on - YES they are the right pads and shoes.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Lol 68.

Last edited by RROriginals; 06-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Drums won't go back on..