Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electronic ignition

Anybody know how to wire a 73 or later ignition box to a 3 wire mallory distributor Have a 340 with a 3 wire mallory and i have found prints to show wiring to a msd box but not the stock box I think most are gonna show a 2 wire distributor this mallory has 3 any idea thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Post the model no. of the distributor. I'm not familiar enough with Mallory to know if there's more than one that could fit that description
Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Exclamation

BE CARE-FULL!!
why do you want to hook it into a msd box?
Call Mallory and talk to a tec the distributor's are very sensitive and if you use the wrong ignition box/coil it will damage your distributor.
For my Mallory the instructions and the technician are very specific on coils and ignition boxes and wiring procedures.
You can always go to the Mallory web page or summit and see about down loading instructions.

I have the Mallory comp ss electronic pick up distributor and the directions where very specific on-to what and how it was hooked up!
my recommendation to you is get a..
Mallory Ignition 29450 - Mallory Promaster Classic Series Coils.
all it needs is a hot ignition wire and that's it no ballast resistor.

And if i'm not mistaken i think multi-spark ignition modulus don't even start multi-spark-en until high rpm anyways.
But what ever you do do it right and good luck!
keep us posted also.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
My understanding is the multiple spark is for 20 degrees of crank rotation and ends somewhere around 3500rpm, the coil field would never support multiple sparks at higher rpm. Also, I don't know what the third wire does, but I would meter it out. My theory is that it is common to ground, designed for early distributor fiber gaskets instead of an o-ring.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Mopar Lover

RED= positive
GREEN= negative
BROWN=ground

ignition hot to coil coil harness pos. neg. grnd. too dist. harness, ground to block/manifold
i installed a Mallory circuit guard between coil and dist.

i don't know much about multi. spark systems

but i know i need a nice long hot spark i get that with my set up

UPC:769105119313
Coil Wire Attachment:Male/HEI
Coil Style:Canister
Primary Resistance:1.400 ohms
Coil Internal Construction:Oil-filled
Coil Color:Black
Maximum Voltage:55,000 V
Turns Ratio:105:1
Secondary Resistance:12.3K ohms
Inductance:7.3 mH
Peak Current:95 mA
Spark Duration:500 uS

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 12-29-2012 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.4spd (12-29-2012)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-mag/P-mag user here, I'm not too impressed with the aircraft E.I. that are out there (p-mag is okay and getting better) but..... how many times has your electronic ignition in your automobile failed while in operation? My answer to that question was/is ....never, oh I've had a couple of failures but not while driving, I've also have (usually) had advanced warning that something was/is wrong. There are some great choices for DIY aircraft electronic ignitions, the Megajolt with the Ford edis parts is a favorite of many hotrodders with reliable results, I intend on using that system coupled with a P-mag on my current aircraft, the future of E.I. in experimentals is promising. Oh and for what it's worth Slick mags are pretty junky now-a-days and require the 500 hr inspection/overhaul at way too much costs for old tech.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Smile

Originally Posted by mike33
E-mag/P-mag user here, I'm not too impressed with the aircraft E.I. that are out there (p-mag is okay and getting better) but..... how many times has your electronic ignition in your automobile failed while in operation? My answer to that question was/is ....never, oh I've had a couple of failures but not while driving, I've also have (usually) had advanced warning that something was/is wrong. There are some great choices for DIY aircraft electronic ignitions, the Megajolt with the Ford edis parts is a favorite of many hotrodders with reliable results, I intend on using that system coupled with a P-mag on my current aircraft, the future of E.I. in experimentals is promising. Oh and for what it's worth Slick mags are pretty junky now-a-days and require the 500 hr inspection/overhaul at way too much costs for old tech.
welcome

i suppose there are a lot of differences but allot of similarities between magneto ignition system's for car's and plane's

as far as and electronic ignition failing i have never had one fail on me
But with that said i purchased pertronix ignition system, the halo pick up system and i went through 3 of em in about 6 wk's
the first one failed as soon as we installed it the second failed after a 20 minute run down the highway and the last failed a week after it was installed
my Mallory is running fine i've got a few post's around here about it.