Ever used a Car Broker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever used a Car Broker?

Curious if people have ever used a car broker when looking for a classic or muscle car? Why or why not?

As a car junkie, I have been thinking of starting a classic/muscle car broker business but curious what people's thoughts were.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brokers are more of a high end car dealer. You better have your game straight, know about all cars (not just those you might like), and have a huge bank account or credit line. That is something I have always thought about, and while I have a very broad knowledge, and have done my TV show for four years now, my knowledge is not deep enough nor is my bank account. I met with Wayne Carini (Chasing Classic Cars TV show) and he has both the pockets and the knowledge. That is the kind of guy you will have to compete with.

I think it's a great idea, if you think you have what it takes, go for it. All you have to lose is money.

Last edited by Crazy4Carz.Com; 03-13-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com
Brokers are more of a high end car dealer. You better have your game straight, know about all cars (not just those you might like), and have a huge bank account or credit line. That is something I have always thought about, and while I have a very broad knowledge, and have done my TV show for four years now, my knowledge is not deep enough nor is my bank account. I met with Wayne Carini (Chasing Classic Cars TV show) and he has both the pockets and the knowledge. That is the kind of guy you will have to compete with.

I think it's a great idea, if you think you have what it takes, go for it. All you have to lose is money.
Thanks for the feedback...I've been reading up on "brokering" vs "becoming a dealer" with the difference being a broker works for the customer and finds them the car they want. A dealer buys cars and then tries to sell them. They give examples of everyday cars but wondering how it could work for classic/muscle cars where the buyers are alot more picky/knowledgeable. I think "brokering" gets around the "huge money" requirement.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I should now ask what kind of services are you going to offer? Most everyone has access to the same on-line information and search engines. Anyone looking for a specific marque would look in the obvious places first (hemmings, Ebay, Autotrader, Used cars, ....) A broker like you describe would usually have contacts with collectors and know where certain "secret" desirable cars are located. These brokers get paid a fee based on their knowledge of the vehicle location, history, condition, etc. They also need to know all the specifics of the type of vehicle being researched. (build numbers, defects specific to that model, options available, rarity,...) Remember this is a very litigious society and you are responsible for any information or advise you provide.

It may sound like I am talking you out of this, not necessarily, Just know what you are looking into. Like I said before it is something I would love to do myself.