need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a little advice

Hi, I'm a new member here, but I see there are some pretty knowledgeable members who could possibly help me out. I have been driving a 1999 Dakota RWD with a magnum 318 for a bout five years now. Due to a bad carrier bearing I had to rebuild the diff. and opted for a Spicer 3.90 ring and pinion setup. now I want to go fast. I had been looking for a 440 and Torqueflite 727 to build up and transplant, but I was recently offered a great deal on a still running 400 out of a Cordoba. What I don't know is what transmission comes with that and whether it would be any good for street/light strip action along with a bit of towing? anybody who can tell me?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sporttruckr
Hi, I'm a new member here, but I see there are some pretty knowledgeable members who could possibly help me out. I have been driving a 1999 Dakota RWD with a magnum 318 for a bout five years now. Due to a bad carrier bearing I had to rebuild the diff. and opted for a Spicer 3.90 ring and pinion setup. now I want to go fast. I had been looking for a 440 and Torqueflite 727 to build up and transplant, but I was recently offered a great deal on a still running 400 out of a Cordoba. What I don't know is what transmission comes with that and whether it would be any good for street/light strip action along with a bit of towing? anybody who can tell me?
Well to be honest I'm not sure on the transmission, I imagine it would be a 727. If I were you I would hunt for a 440 if your really wanting to do some real damage on the street or strip. The 400 was a big block but had relatively low power ratings. Here check this list of power ratings out. It has everything on there. http://www.lhmopars.com/engines.htm

I think the highest rated one on there was 275 hp. Now you may be able to build the crap out of a 400 but why put all that money into it when you can find a 440 already putting out another 100 hp or more for not much more money? The 440 is a fast revving camaro eating and mustang shitting monster! And from what I read it doesn't take a whole lot to get more power out of them. A little bit bigger cam, intake and a bigger carb, or a six pack set up. I don't think you'll ever notice that your even pulling anything with a 440 and 3.90 rear end in that little dakota. Put quiet exhaust on it and make it a sleeper from hell and win a ton of bets lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
The 400 RB motors are good motors. Yeah they mahe have produced lower than wanted HP and TQ numbers but with the right cam, heads, intake and exhuast, they can be built up quite a bit. Any big block motor in a Dakota will make that truck scream.

People know that 440 motors are worth something. The 400 motors are a little less desirable so you can get them for cheaper, usually. I'd say go for the 400 and (most likely has if its an auto) 727 that is backing it up. Hear the motor run before buying it though. By going with the 400, you already have a running motor and trans that you can drop right in and run for the time being. While running it stock, you can save your pennies and buy everything that you want to build the motor and tranny how you want. While your at it, you'll want to get a beefier rear axle.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... I agree with Tim on the 400.... I have three of them that I drag race and they will make as much hp as a 440... Its always the same... How fast can you afford to go??? But as Tim already said, the right cam, heads,headers and tranny you can make your Dakota screem!!!!

Also, while you are on here be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest we have each and every month... Each member gets a vote on who should win... Be ure to cast your vote each and every month.....
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the 400, I just heard it run and checked on the tranny as the owner had no clue and its a 727. its a coworker of mine and hes giving it to me for 200 and a case of beer so I cant say no. by late April I should be finishing the build and work on dropping it in. Last thoughts...A mopar fanatic buddy of mine said to go with the Edelbrock Torker intake, but isnt it less streetable than the Performer?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good score on the 400 w/tranny! For the intake go with the performer or any dual plane,the torker is a single plane (good for hi rpms) and would not be good for towing.

Take some pics!

good luck,john