New here, couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, couple of questions.

hey guys im new here. my dad has a 1965 dodge polara with the 383 2 door and it has been in my family since new. recently he just handed it over to me. the car is in great condition. the motor is very tired. and the trans seems weak. so basically my questions are what are some good mods for the 65 383 polara? i was thinking of a fresh rebuild with forged internals. but let me know the best mods for the motors and trans for these cars! thank you guys!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if it's a auto or a 4 speed, But my 68 RR is awesome with the 383 and 727 auto set-up. In my eyes any time you can stay with the factory equipment-all the better. Besides there is so much you can do to increase the power on this motor it's not even funny.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmoparman
I don't know if it's a auto or a 4 speed, But my 68 RR is awesome with the 383 and 727 auto set-up. In my eyes any time you can stay with the factory equipment-all the better. Besides there is so much you can do to increase the power on this motor it's not even funny.
yes its the auto. and i really cant find many parts for the car. lol i drive newer cars so this is new to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Interchangeability of these cars is pretty good. You can drop a newer engine, anything from a 383/ 413/ 426 (wedge) or 440 in with some "smarts." IE, heavy truck, motorhome engines are useful for the block and crank, but not heads or the rest

You have to watch what you install in terms of engine/ transmission balance, but there are workarounds for that

One big caveat for your car is going to depend on "how original" you want to keep it.

Up through and including 64, Torquefites had a flange rear drive instead of a slip yoke in the transmission. I'm not sure about Polara, is yours a push button trans? IF so, you have an "oddball" one year only, IE "slip yoke" rear shaft, but push button shifter.

You can use later transmissions if you are willing to use aftermarket, like B*M, shifters. Disregard this if yours is not a push button.

One thing you have to watch is engine parts.

361, 383, and the newer 400's are so called "low block" (lower block deck height and shorter stroke)

413, 426 (wedge) and 440s are "RB" or "raised block" and longer stroke.

This means the pushrods, intake, and distributor do not interchange, so if, example, you find a better (4bbl) intake or performance distributor you'll want to be careful that it fits a 383 and not the RB series.

These are great old engines. Chrysler stuck with "a version" of them for a very long time. They are torqy and easy to work on, and simple stuff like good manifolds or headers, dual exhaust, a little more cam and carburetion, will give you a good running street engine.

I owned a 64 Dodge "440" (model, not engine) with a 426-- forerunner of the 440 and loved it. If I had the money I'd have one today.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
What are you planning on doing with the car? Is it just going to be for cruising? Are you going to be taking it to the strip? Are you going to shows with it?

Once you know how you are going to use the car, from there you can decide what you want to change on the car. For example - You just want the car for cruises and some shows, but you want it to have anice little rumble and some extra power. I'd say 4 barrel carb, performance intake with RPM matching cam, block and heads cleaned/rebuilt, set of headers with full 2.5" exhaust, rebuild the trans and change the fluid in the rear axle.

If you want to take it to the strip, I'd do all the above but I'd go with a shift kit in the trans, swap in a sure grip unit in the rear axle and up the RPM range of the cam and intake, maybe a little valve work and increase the exhaust to 3".

There is a whole number of different ways that you can go with it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it runs and drives I would start by getting used to it. Maybe go through the tires,brakes, and suspension first. I always believe that it is better to have woa befor go. You will find things to fix easily enough. I am not sure but I believe you will find the 65 model to have a lot of one year only stuff. I know the 65 Fury has a lot. That cable shift should be fine to work with but a later trans will have more availablity and the part throttle kickdown. You would need a floor shifter for this. Some one makes a conversion for cable to column shift, but it's pricey.
I would also recomend you try the
http://cbodydrydock.com/forum.php
as they are c body specific and your Polara falls into that catagory. You may want to concider getting a 400 to build while you drive the 383. The 400 can be stroked big or just rebuilt stock. Once done it will fall right in where the 383 comes out. This way you save the origanal motor and the 400 has more parts avaiability. The 383 pistons are not cheap and not a lot of optoins compared to the later 400. Better yet would be to find a complete engine and trans from the mid 70's to hot rod and keep the origanal stuff origanal.
Glad to hear you have a "Real Family Jewel". Enjoy it.

Last edited by bboogieart; 07-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
383 p parts are more than tough enough for the street 7000 rpm all day long