General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on a 72 Newport!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School me on a 72 Newport!

Hey Guys, name is Sam, i just signed up.

I have the opportunity to look at and potentially buy an Original owner garaged since new 1972 Newport.

It's my workmates fathers car who is downsizing and moving out of his house. The car was bought new. My friend does not remember much about it as he never paid much attention (just not a car guy) He said he's pretty sure its a two door. He said 2 tone so im assuming Vinyl hard top. The car he refered to it as a 1972 Chrysler Royal? I did some searching and it sounds like the Royal was a base model option for the Newport model. Is that the case?

At any rate. I am a Pontiac guy and right in the middle of another build, but for the last few years, i've had this urge to get a full size 70's luxo boat and build a stout motor for it. Just lay rubber for blocks!

Anyhow, any particular areas these cars rust out in other than the obvious from the Vinyl Top. Its a north Texas car, so i don't think the weather would have been too hard on it. I know absolutely nothing about these cars and what they are worth. I'm not buying to flip, im buying to look after and drive. As thats what i do with all old cars. I'd be more than willing to throw up some pictures and video once i check it out this saturday. If you guys wouldn't mind throwing some pointers my way.

Any oddball "One year only" glass ?

Are rear ends your standard accross the board corporate mopar sizes/ratios?

Are these cars laden with to many "Luxo" options and full of electrical gremlins ?

How about servicable parts. Tie rods, ball joints, drag links? easy to obtain?

Basically if you were to buy one of these cars that had a nice body, would it be easy to replace all the chassis/suspension bushings and parts to freshen it into a tight driver?

I've been looking at pictures and the few i find, im getting really excited. I LOVE the way these cars look, and it really fits my want for a Luxo tire fryer.

Cheers,
Sam.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by swilling
Are rear ends your standard accross the board corporate mopar sizes/ratios?

Are these cars laden with to many "Luxo" options and full of electrical gremlins ?

How about servicable parts. Tie rods, ball joints, drag links? easy to obtain?

Basically if you were to buy one of these cars that had a nice body, would it be easy to replace all the chassis/suspension bushings and parts to freshen it into a tight driver?
I'm not specifically familiar with these cars

You can easily ID the rear axle, it's likely either the popular 8 3/4 which is the only Mopar axle with a removeable third member, or a 9 1/4" It would not be a Dana 60

ANY "luxo" is likely to have electrical options which may give trouble, especially as old as these girls now are. Not unique to Mopar The biggest problems with the Mopars electrically is problems with deteriorated bulkhead connectors. Most of the cars up through this model year use a troublesome "full current" ammeter. I'm not sure about your prospect, it MIGHT have been one of the early ones with an external shunt setup.

Chassis parts and the design of the suspension is easy to work on with these cars. However, with ALL new parts, getting quality parts, even from Moog and other traditional "good" brands is now a problem. Again, not unique to Mopars.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much, great info.

I'm heading out on Saturday to check it out, its about a 3 hour drive. Im packing tools and stuff i might need , see if i can get it moving.

I totally hear you about even Moog not having good stuff . ive been through that plenty of times. its a shame.

If it turns out to be in decent shape body wise, it could be just the project ive been looking for.

The idea of seeing one of these huge cars doing 150 makes me laugh.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
72 "should" share most parts with the 69-72 , I think the disc brakes were different that year & may carry forward into 73-74 , 73 would be the first year for the bumperettes & heavier bumpers etc for higher speed safety requirements
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
bottom of front fenders near the door same as any other and the bottom of the rear quarters for rust if any from dust settling in these areas and moisture causing rust.

its not a *big boat* car. It is still large but there was larger cars yet in that year.

Chances are it has a bigblock engine 400 2 barrel. 727 with a 8 1/4 in it. electrical problems are a fusable link at the bulkhead under the hood might go bad but unlikely. If your gonna put this on the road you can service the bulkhead connections to prevent a meltdown of the plastic.