Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling now, but why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling now, but why?

Well today we re-did the exhaust, we changed nothing in the engine, partially bled the brakes (Doing a full service check in a week), Put in new brake fluid, finished the front disc brakes, But while I drove the car home it stalled out 3 times, I would start it up, and when I hit the gas and pushed down a little it would completely stall. Brake fluid did come out of the res tank but I don't think that's the problem.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

brake fluid did come out!! ooo noo you screwed man! now you gonna hafta pull the engine and do a complete tear down and rebuild! sorry to break the bad news!!

all joking aside....maybe you pulled a vacuum line with out noticing??
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Nope, nothing was pulled, we went over everything. I did replace a manifold gasket. It doesn't quite fit right, So possibly that's the problem?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

could very well be! try this. start the car and spray around the manifold with starting fluid. if it revs up theres your vacuum leak! the quickest easiest way to find a vacuum leak,, and it works why didnt it fit right? were the heads milled?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

The gasket was a little larger in diameter than the original one, and it was the ONLY one in stock at 3 nearby stores. So I had to make due with what I had. I mean hell the old gasket is in horrible shape but it worked... But this one I can do something with, or order a new one. I'm putting the car back on the lift so I can bleed to brakes fully in a week, so I'll replace it then. You should have seen the metal work we had to do on the exhaust.. Lol some idiot welded the muffler to the pipes.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

This is EXACTLY what happened. - While we were doing the exhaust over, I noticed that the pipe going to the header was VERY loose, so I just unbolted it and took it off, suddenly out rolled this gasket, was so warped and rotted I couldn't really tell what it was until Tom (my neighbor who's garage I was using) told me what it was, so as far as I know, I only needed to replace that one piece, I called my work and asked if they had it, they said No, so AutoZone had it, I brought it there, they looked at it and said "This is the only one we have left." and it was a bit too large, so I put it on and bolt the pipe back up to the header, and if you look under you can clearly see it shifting off, not fully connected because of the size, so I need to find the right one. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow and you guys can enlighten me on it. I've never really had to do exhausts.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 AM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Originally Posted by RROriginals
Lol some idiot welded the muffler to the pipes.
to what pipes?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 AM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

if you mean the exaust good! i will never trust clamps again, a couple of shots at 7500 rpm and all my clamps came loose! so i weld/braze all joints
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah, but look at my albums and see why I was a little pissed about the pipes being welded. Just take a look at those old mufflers. Lol but since I got new Thrust Turbos I might weld them myself, I was a little aggravated that we had to get the Saws-all and cut them, but we managed to rig up some pipes and make it all fit
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Don't knock it when you see mufflers welded on. I prefer to weld on exhaust components rather than deal with them coming loose, and exhaust hardware tends to get so rusty over the years that parts which are bolted on are often no easier to remove than if they were welded.

The stalling problem sounds strange, but it could be due to several things. Check your vacuum lines, particularly the one going to the vacuum advance on your distributor. If you are running a Holley, you might want to check and make sure the accelerator pump in the carburetor is working properly. Also, check you distributor and make sure it isn't loose, it might have turned a little and backed-off the timing a few degrees.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'm 100% positive absolutely nothing in the engine was touched during the brakes and exhaust. I'm really thinking it might be that gasket.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Not to be argumentative, but you should be able to run that motor open manifold, that leak you got in the exhaust donut is not making the car stall.

Quintessence, more than likely, stranger things have happened.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

It's stopped stalling, This car is doing some strange things lately