Think this will get me half a mile?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think this will get me half a mile?

Hey guys, I recently came into a problem with some good news.

My transmission pan cracked, it's a small crack but it's not holding fluid for long. I ordered a new one but I need the car at my neighbors house (half a mile away). So.. any ideas for a quick (REAL QUICK) patch so I can drive it the half mile? I was thinking tiger patch, for exhausts or duct tape. Lmao.

I have these options as a trade for my Roadrunner -

- 1970 Ford Thunderbird; 429 Thunderjet
- 1971 Dodge Challenger; ??? Kid's dad put 30K into it, died a few months ago so his mom wants it gone and he really desperately wants a RR.
- 1973 Charger; 383, some body rust
Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Mopar Fanatic

No answers or helpful tips? Lol.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Mopar Fan

Try Super Glue. It seems to work on everything.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is this tape at the Major truck stops that claims to stick even when wet.I need to keep a roll on me just in case!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
What I would do is take a small piece of sandpaper and clean the area very good... Then take some mineral spirits and wipe it down and then put a layor of JB Weld on it.. Let it set and this should hold up for quite some time....
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Well I have one of multiple problems MReeves, 1.) I can't get the car up on jackstands or a lift at the moment, B.) My storage container doesn't allow work to be done on cars while there, C.) I need a relatively quick fix, talking like 10mins to fix, just to drive a quarter mile to put it on a lift and put the new pan on.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Jack up the car and set it down safely on jack stands, pull the pan off and install the new one that you have. Then lower it back down and fill the tranny with fluid to the proper level. Should only take an hour at the most.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Ok here's what I don't understand. You post questions that require little thought to answer. Then when people do answer them you pose a new problem.
My suggestion is to figure some things out yourself before posting things such as this. How many times do we have to read a problem you have that only requires the following... FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME !
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Mopar Fanatic

OKay for one PD, I was asking for a quick fix, asking if Tiger patch for Exhaust pipes would work, quick fix not, Hey let's jack it up in a place where I can't do that and try to get away with it. And your little comment "Fix it right the first time" this is the first time I ever encountered a problem with my transmission pan, so why don't you check yourself on where you come from for one, and for two why don't you thoroughly read how I said "(Real quick)" I explained that I ordered a new pan but it's not coming in for a few days and that I need to get it a quarter or half mile down the road and if you post a numskull answer next as to "Tow it" that is pretty much money wasted.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Admin

Why not use a tow chain and carefully tow it the 1320 feet to your neighbor's house? You did fix the brakes properly right? Shouldn't be a problem.

Or just fill it with fluid and drive it there (depending on the leak of course).
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I'd be going down 2 main roads if I do that (Highly illegal), I could fill it and go, but the problem is I have no clue how much it leaks, I just wanted to patch it to slow the leak but I was trying to figure out what to use
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by MReeves
What I would do is take a small piece of sandpaper and clean the area very good... Then take some mineral spirits and wipe it down and then put a layor of JB Weld on it.. Let it set and this should hold up for quite some time....
Do what Mack said then...... but you'll be working on it at/in your storage container.

(lol)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Lol well I don't think Nick would let that fly. Know of any water-resistant tape that would bond well?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RROriginals
No answers or helpful tips? Lol.
Call a tow truck.

Fix it right the first time.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Mopar Fanatic

@Crazy, I don't blame you for posting such a well thought out numskull answer as "Fix it right the first time" seeing as you have your head on 9 different things at once, but once again since people like to either be smart***** or jack*****, I've never tried to fix it before, this is the first time I've fixed it, if you can't read it the first time, I guess this one will enlighten you.

I don't understand how you can be so thick headed as to repeat the same idiotic answer someone else had. Yet get the same response.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
RR, A suggestion.

Do not attack those that are trying to help you!

Polaradude and Crazy were correct in their responses to you regardless if you didn't like the delivery. I concur with both of them.

Your name calling, as a retort to the reality that the people here are trying to share with you, won't get you far.

In the mean time, I have learned that, those who call names, as you have, are "projecting" themselves on others.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Silver, there are:

Smart***** who tell people to "Fix it right the first time"

And there are

Jack***** who don't read the thread fully and understand that this is the FIRST attempt at fixing the problem and end up saying that line anyway.

In this case both were being Smartasses.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Look, You ask how to half *** a repair, then don't like when you get an appropriate answer. Why try to do a half assed patch to go a half mile, when if the patch fails for any reason (an old lady pulls out in front of you, or a firetruck comes the other way, or a school bus stops with the lights flashing, or whatever) Now enough fluid leaked out and you need to replace the entire transmission.

You are a kid that doesn't know any better, that's OK. But when you post a stupid question, or try do do something the wrong way, I AM going to bust your *****. I had guys bust on me when I was younger for not doing stuff the right way.

The JB weld idea is possibly the best answer, but even that wont stick over fluid leaking. It has to be clean and dry.

So, again I will say, Do it once, do it right the first time. The time it will take to put on a patch, is the same as the time it will take to replace the pan. It is an easy job.

Step one: call a tow truck.
Step two: remove pan, replace pan, gasket, and filter.
Step three: go for a cruise, happy that you didn't "F" up your trans.

I know you don't like me when I answer your posts, 'cause every time I post I am trying to make you do it the right way. That's OK Keep posting eventually you'll get it right.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Mopar Lover

By the way what did you run over to: dent the fender (wheel well), tear up the exhaust, and bust the trans pan?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Right well heres one little thing I think you keep forgetting, I'm getting a BRAND NEW pan that I already ordered, It took 2 days or so for the fluid to completely leak out from a full pan so it's not looking like a major crack, probably a small knick which probably CAN be patched with some adhesive for literally a 2 minute drive

Here's where your Step 1 plan fails a bit:

Step One - I am technically homeless with no at all for a tow.
Step Two - That's possible if I can get it that 1/4 or 1/2 mile to my neighbors
Step Three - I will be happy I didn't F it up.

You know, it's pretty easy to say "Call a tow" or "replace it" when you don't know the other person's situation, it's all fine for you though right? You can call in a hundred tows, you can order hundreds of parts, me? I have literally, $45 or so to my name. With GED on Friday my car needs to be on the road by the morning, then going to my job interview on Monday it still has to be on the road.

My neighbors are nice enough to let me use their garages, tools and lifts because they know my situation, None of you knew about it, and it's pretty damn hard when you had a nice safe place for your car, until a situation goes wrong and you can't pay the 150/Month for it anymore
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

So when you keep saying to me "Fix it right the first time" Yeah, you know that would be nice if I could but I have to do a temp patch until I can get it to the garage to actually do it.

I'm sure one or two of you have been in my position before, No money, no family to help, I'm basically on my own, having to do this myself just turned 18 not too long ago, and you know what? Reality of it all, this sucks.

Also, this is the only thing left that I truly own, bought, paid for and worked on with my own money over the months, I've been trying my hardest to keep it and hold onto it for as long as I can.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Steve, you were given boat loads of good advice here, and I would have to agree with most of it, IE: have it towed to the garage and fix it right the first time, period! I don't really see any other option for you, it's a no brainer. Now I'm going to go back and edit all the improper language from your posts, and if you can't play well with the others I may be forced to give you a 3 day vacation, which I really don't like doing. That is all.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Mopar Fanatic

You know what dude, Go for it, seeing as you didn't even read the last two posts I can tell you're a no-brainer aswell, you skim through things not realizing the whole point, give me a permanent vacation if you please, Because honestly if even the Admins can't learn to read everything, there is no point.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I read every word you posted, and I still stand behind what I said, have it towed and fix it right, I don't want to be the guy you kill while skidding thru your own trans fluid while trying to stop for the red light. You can't fix it where it is, and you can't drive it (either because of the problems with it or the legal aspect of driving unregistered/uninsured), so the only feasible option has been stated multiple times. You are young, take some advice from us older and more experienced, believe me when I tell you, many of us have been in your shoes (myself included), and we learned the hard way. I for one totalled a '75 Chevy Caprice Classic because I was young and didn't think a half a$$ed repair would hurt anyone. Hard lesson learned the hard way...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Steve, in your first post you said you wanted a fast, quick fix. When you are dealing with a leaking fluid there are non.. I do not know of any glue, tape, cement, ace bandage or anything that will stick in a wet fluid surface. That is why I gave you the advise I did... I was not trying to bust your ***** or what ever...

You asked for advise and we gave it. Just because you do not want to hear it don't get a chip on your shoulders and start that pitty party of how little you have or don't have. We have all been down that road at some time in our lives. You are not the first one to have been born without that "silver spoon stuck in your a$$" I admit it would have been easier that way......

If you keep popping off at the replys that you ask for don't be suprised if you don't get any replys from now on... Just remember Steve, we are here to help... But we are NOT giving sympathy parties...... Man up and move forward.....
Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Here is basically the breakdown of what's to come if I wait to get money to tow the car -

My storage can and will impound my car, because I do not have the $150 to pay for October's rent so it has to be out before the 1st, The one person who actually looked forward to me bringing this car back to it's finer days went on a rampage and mental breakdown, threw me out and wants nothing to do with me anymore.

I have no help from any of my family, my friends are 90% drug addicts, The only help I have is my neighbors who let me use their tools and garages.

It's really hard to go through all this stress, with GED coming up, a job coming up I need transportation, Even with my son being born in exactly a month adds 90% more stress to the situation, The only alternate route to the house is exactly .82 miles which is taking back streets, my brakes are in perfect working order.

As I stated, ever since all this happened, this is the one and only thing I have left really, and to lose it would kill, in the surrounding cities there are only 3 other cars like mine, a 1972 Satellite, a 1972 Roadrunner and a 69 Roadrunner and mine, so in this city it is a pretty rare and decent car to have.

That's why I asked for an adhesive to put on the pan, the crack is probably the size of a paperclip, but it's very skinny, it's completely dry and I could get under to patch it and let it all seal for a little bit, but the point being is right now in the situation it's in, I can not tow it, I know I have to but I can't.

You can tell I'm probably not the smartest person, but when things mean a lot to me, it goes to a whole new level, I'm well educated but I dropped out of high school, I know the option to patch it and drive it seems dangerous, but with the other route it's not, I didn't plan on going down main roads anyway, I know it's hard for you guys to see where I'm coming from on this, but it's not hard to me.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Not looking for any sympathy for anyone at all, Just the point being when the chips are down it's hard to find the best solution so you make due with what you can, Hell if you could tell me how easy it would be to pop that pan off and pop a new one on without jacking up the car, I would do it, but I don't want to waste time trying something that won't work.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Steve, you say you can crawl under and feel tht the crack is dry??? Then use the JB weld i mentioned in the first reply to you. Just make sure all the tranny fluid is off the surface. If you have some spray brake clean this will do ... Mix the JB Weld and place it on the crack and let it dry overnight. Fill the tranny and drive it to your neighbors.. End of story... Put your new pan on and its done..... Nuff Said.... Quit your whinning about how rough you have it!!!!!! We ALL are tired of hearing that... Just fit it......
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Admin

These are just my opinions, take them however you want. I just don't understand a lot about what you type I guess and I probably never will.

You can tell I'm probably not the smartest person, but when things mean a lot to me, it goes to a whole new level, I'm well educated but I dropped out of high school
Isn't that an oxymoron?

my friends are 90% drug addicts
Being well educated, wouldn't you have ditched them for some friends that are not drug addicts?

Even with my son being born in exactly a month
Never heard of birth control, condoms or simply just pulling out?

As I stated, ever since all this happened, this is the one and only thing I have left really, and to lose it would kill, in the surrounding cities there are only 3 other cars like mine, a 1972 Satellite, a 1972 Roadrunner and a 69 Roadrunner and mine, so in this city it is a pretty rare and decent car to have.
If there are three other vehicles that are like your's, it doesn't make it pretty rare, it makes it pretty common. Plus a 1969 Roadrunner is nothing like your 1973 Roadrunner.

Hell if you could tell me how easy it would be to pop that pan off and pop a new one on without jacking up the car, I would do it, but I don't want to waste time trying something that won't work.
So what you are saying is that installing a new pan won't work and is just a waste of time? Then why order a new pan?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Mopar Lover

Get a few strong friends to lift up the car while you change the pan so you don't have to pay to tow it!

Or tunnel under the storage container and up under the transmission!

Quick Reply: Think this will get me half a mile?